UnderGround Forums Roy Jones Jr. Vs. Vinny Paz Atlantic City 1995

3/11/18 4:51 PM
3/13/08

3/11/18 5:08 PM
3/13/08

Roy Jones Junior may be the best pure boxer in his prime, but Vinny Pazienza was one of the craziest guys who never backed down.

then there's 2018 Deontay Wilder... 40-0 with 39 KOs... speed, strength, and reach... he's on a whole other level as far as scariest boxers... he will eventually lose, but I see him KOing Anthony Joshua in the later rounds when they do finally fight (in 2019)??? 

Edited: 3/11/18 6:03 PM
7/15/04

Deontay Wilder makes up for technical deficiencies with fight changing power, speed, and reach. His straight right is perhaps the most powerful of any boxer in history. He KO's people on deflected shots and punches that are blocked with their gloves up.

His power is such a weapon when he lands a clean right hand he charges in almost every time because it is almost assured his opponent is rocked or at minimum affected by it. He at times has a really nice jab but he gets lazy with it.

Ortiz had a great fight, technically he looked good nice crisp punches. Good power. Good pedigree, undefeated. Most avoided HW in the world. Unfortunately like every other man couldn't handle Wilder's power.

Wilder vs Joshua is very interesting. Joshua could win some rounds but will he be able to take a piston right hand that lands clean? He might KO Wilder as he has real power as well. I think Wilder lands and takes him out.

3/11/18 5:35 PM
3/13/08
TexDeuce -

Deontay Wilder makes up for technical deficiencies with fight changing power, speed, and reach. His straight right is perhaps the most powerful of any boxer in history. He KO's people on deflected shots and punches that are blocked with their gloves up.

His power is such a weapon when he lands a clean right hand he charges in almost every time because it is almost assured his opponent is rocked. He at times can have a good jab but he gets lazy with it.

Ortiz had a great fight, technically he looked good nice crisp punches. Good power. Good pedigree, undefeated. Most avoided HW in the world. Unfortunately like every other man couldn't handle Wilder's power.

Wilder vs Joshua is very interesting. Joshua could win some rounds but will he be able to take a piston right hand that lands clean? He might KO Wilder as he has real power as well. I think Wilder lands and takes him out.

Great assessment TexDeuce... However, old man Wladimir Klitschko's jab landed clean regularly on Anthony Joshua's guard TexDeuce... one can argue that Wlad was even or perhaps up a round before AJ's beastly power (such as his smooth uppercuts) proved too much in the 11th... Deontay Wilder will have his hands full vs Joshua, but Wilder's ruthless power and unconventional combinations will be too much to overcome... we shall see though... anything can happen though, you know???

3/11/18 7:48 PM
12/30/12

Vinny was always game

3/11/18 8:24 PM
3/13/08
Stern - 

Vinny was always game

Tough dude for sure... if The Pazmanian Devil's reach was just a little longer, he would have been among one of the all-time greats...
3/11/18 9:00 PM
9/23/17
SgtJustinTeplitz -

Roy Jones Junior may be the best pure boxer in his prime, but Vinny Pazienza was one of the craziest guys who never backed down.

then there's 2018 Deontay Wilder... 40-0 with 39 KOs... speed, strength, and reach... he's on a whole other level as far as scariest boxers... he will eventually lose, but I see him KOing Anthony Joshua in the later rounds when they do finally fight (in 2019)??? 

Please fuck off if you’re comparing Wilder to RJJ  on any level. RJJ is an all-time great. Wilder has along way to go to even be considered the best HW in the world right now.

3/11/18 9:35 PM
3/13/08
IHeartBoobies - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -

Please fuck off if you’re comparing Wilder to RJJ  on any level. RJJ is an all-time great. Wilder has along way to go to even be considered the best HW in the world right now.

"Wilder has a long way to go to even be considered the best HW in the world right now"

No he doesn't. At least 1/2 of everyone thinks he is the greatest HW in the world right now. The other half thinks Anthony Joshua is the greatest HW in the world right now. So if Wilder beats Joshua, I don't know one person who would think that Wilder is not the best HW in the world right now.

I'll agree with you that Wilder has a llittle way to go to be considered an all-time great (as his resume still needs bigger names). But how much longer and who is out there for him to fight. Tyson Fury? Sure... but Wilder would steamroll him. A Luis Ortiz rematch? Sure, but I think Wilder has his number. Deontay Wilder's professional career is going on 10 years (Wilder's first pro fight was 2008). So of course with a Joshua win and a few others he must be considered amongst the greats of the Heavyweight Division. Also, re read my above paragraph. In no way was I comparing a much lighter RJJ to Wilder. My exact words were "Roy Jones Junior may be the best pure boxer in his prime." Nevertheless, I stand by saying that Deontay Wilder is on a whole other level as far as scariest boxers. Only Anthony Joshua, who has 1/2 the pro fights as Wilder, has a better KO %age (and not by much obviously).
3/11/18 11:15 PM
1/30/10
SgtJustinTeplitz -
IHeartBoobies - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -

"Wilder has a long way to go to even be considered the best HW in the world right now"

No he doesn't. At least 1/2 of everyone thinks he is the greatest HW in the world right now. The other half thinks Anthony Joshua is the greatest HW in the world right now. So if Wilder beats Joshua, I don't know one person who would think that Wilder is not the best HW in the world right now.

I'll agree with you that Wilder has a llittle way to go to be considered an all-time great (as his resume still needs bigger names). But how much longer and who is out there for him to fight. Tyson Fury? Sure... but Wilder would steamroll him. A Luis Ortiz rematch? Sure, but I think Wilder has his number. Deontay Wilder's professional career is going on 10 years (Wilder's first pro fight was 2008). So of course with a Joshua win and a few others he must be considered amongst the greats of the Heavyweight Division. Also, re read my above paragraph. In no way was I comparing a much lighter RJJ to Wilder. My exact words were "Roy Jones Junior may be the best pure boxer in his prime." Nevertheless, I stand by saying that Deontay Wilder is on a whole other level as far as scariest boxers. Only Anthony Joshua, who has 1/2 the pro fights as Wilder, has a better KO %age (and not by much obviously).

Please stop....if wilder fought in the 90’s , Bert cooper/Ray Mercer/Tua would’ve demolished him ...wilder is not even close to being a great heavyweight , much less an all time great 

3/12/18 12:12 AM
3/13/08
dios - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -
IHeartBoobies - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -

Please stop....if wilder fought in the 90’s , Bert cooper/Ray Mercer/Tua would’ve demolished him ...wilder is not even close to being a great heavyweight , much less an all time great 

"Wilder is not even close to being a great heavyweight"

Please name some great heavyweights in 2018 that are better than Wilder. I'll wait.

Yes, Merciless, Tua, Lennox Lewis, and Evander (among a handful of others) was one of the best eras of heavyweight boxing... but it's not Deontay Wilder's fault he wasn't born in that era. The man is 40-0 with 39 KOs and revenged the only non-KO on his record with a KO. What more do you want the guy to do? Yes, the Heavyweight Division is currently thin compared to the heyday of boxing (Ali, Frazier, Foreman, The Easton Assassin, et cetera), but how can you or anyone else count that against Wilder or Joshua? It's not like Wilder's Division is like Ronda Rousey's Division pre-Holly Holm and Amanda Nunez. There are some killers in the current heavyweight division and a select few like the Parkers, Joshuas, and Wilders would be a tough fight for any heavyweight in any era.
3/12/18 8:12 PM
12/30/12
SgtJustinTeplitz -
Stern - 

Vinny was always game

Tough dude for sure... if The Pazmanian Devil's reach was just a little longer, he would have been among one of the all-time greats...

Well maybe but Vinny has a pretty good reach for his height already. 5'7 1/2 with a 70 1/2 inch reach. Off the top of my head I know he had a reach advantage vs Greg Haugen,Duran,and Camacho.

This isn't really relevant but I'm just going to throw it out there while it's own my mind,Greg Haugen is one of the most underrated fighters in the last 35 years.

3/12/18 9:14 PM
5/7/04

I find it very interesting to listen to the commentary twenty years plus later.  Bernstein is clearly pandering to the white audience at home for the first three rounds talking about Vinny's "moments" which were clearly full of much effort with no results.  I counted a total of three punches even land on Jones with only one having any (hardly) "impact".  That was master class 101 and to the youngsters watching, make no mistake, Vinny Paz was a fucking terror and legit champion which only speaks to Jones' greatness.  It's a common cliche thrown around a lot these days but it's true, there are levels to this game and Jones was top of the mountain for a solid decade. 

3/12/18 10:50 PM
11/18/09

I like what Nazim Richardson said. How many times have you seen someone put another man to sleep who had his hands up the whole time, and just punches right through his guard?

Wilder is something special. 

I do worry about his chin tho, but fuck he has literally knocked everyone out. 

3/12/18 11:26 PM
3/13/08
Stern - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -
Stern - 

Vinny was always game

Well maybe but Vinny has a pretty good reach for his height already. 5'7 1/2 with a 70 1/2 inch reach. Off the top of my head I know he had a reach advantage vs Greg Haugen,Duran,and Camacho.

This isn't really relevant but I'm just going to throw it out there while it's own my mind,Greg Haugen is one of the most underrated fighters in the last 35 years.

Greg Haugen was Ann incredible fighter with a lot of heart

Beat guys like Comacho, Roach, Paz... 5 foot 6 with balls of steel
3/12/18 11:30 PM
3/13/08
Live in Vegas - 

I find it very interesting to listen to the commentary twenty years plus later.  Bernstein is clearly pandering to the white audience at home for the first three rounds talking about Vinny's "moments" which were clearly full of much effort with no results.  I counted a total of three punches even land on Jones with only one having any (hardly) "impact".  That was master class 101 and to the youngsters watching, make no mistake, Vinny Paz was a fucking terror and legit champion which only speaks to Jones' greatness.  It's a common cliche thrown around a lot these days but it's true, there are levels to this game and Jones was top of the mountain for a solid decade. 

Jones was so fun to watch... 49-1 but really 50-0 at one point... killer speed and technique... Roy was an excellent basketball player too...
3/12/18 11:40 PM
3/13/08
PhillyFights - 

I like what Nazim Richardson said. How many times have you seen someone put another man to sleep who had his hands up the whole time, and just punches right through his guard?

Wilder is something special. 

I do worry about his chin tho, but fuck he has literally knocked everyone out. 

Absolutely

First person to beat Wilder will be someone with incredible hand speed that counters his occasional telegraphed hooks... Wilder's a must watch every fight, you know? I'm pissed I didn't see him fight in Tucson when he was an up and comer.

David Tua is the only fighter I can think of that can laugh off Deontay Wilder's best punches, but sadly, he's retired. Wilder would definitely outscore Tua though...I'd love to see a prime Lennox Lewis versus Wilder, but believe Wilder takes Lewis out late.

Wilder's punches look extremely unconventional and sloppy at times, but he has phenomenal reflexes and out-of-this-world power that more than makes up for it, you know?
Edited: 3/13/18 11:55 AM
6/1/16
SgtJustinTeplitz -
IHeartBoobies - 
SgtJustinTeplitz -

Wilder isn’t steamrolling also UNDEFEATED fury 

fury gets no love, but that guy is tough as fuck, awkward, great chin, and the slickest guy I’ve ever seen at his size, incredibly fast and elusive. I’m nowhere near sold that fury isn’t a problem for anybody if he’s in moderately decent shape or not. If he makes weight, you’re gonna have problems imo. 

If Joshua wilder happens I really believe wilder will ko him brutally 

Edited: 3/13/18 2:51 PM
7/15/04

Joshua vs Wilder is going to come down to how well Joshua can take Wilders right hand and if Wilder can land it.

Joshua needs to take Wilder out early because the longer the fight goes the more chance Wilder has of landing a missile that finds its target. Joshua also has possible cardio issues, Wilder doesn't and we know he carries his power the whole fight. 

A tired Joshua with not the best defense already is really playing with fire against Wilder. 

Wilder needs to get back to establishing his jab early and often so he can hide that right hand bomb. If he just goes headhunting he will lose most of the rounds.  But if he lands.....

Just an absolutely fascinating fight. 

3/13/18 2:54 PM
3/8/11

I think Fury beats Wilder.

3/13/18 4:09 PM
7/15/04
Don Brodka -

I think Fury beats Wilder.

Tyson Fury storms ring after Wilder fight:

3/13/18 4:11 PM
7/15/04

3/13/18 4:14 PM
7/15/04

3/13/18 5:46 PM
7/8/09
SgtJustinTeplitz -

An inshape Tyson Fury slaughters Wilder

3/13/18 7:27 PM
1/10/13
DisIsDeRiddumOfDeNite -
SgtJustinTeplitz -

An inshape Tyson Fury slaughters Wilder

Fury might make it an akward and ugly bout to win a boring decision, but there wiil be no slaughtering done by Fury. I think he does have the size and style to nullify Wilder's righthand though. Tyson has been away for awhile now. He had to stall out to kill enough time to avoid facing the punishment for pissing hot. We might not ever see the version of Tyson that baffled Wlad.

3/13/18 10:24 PM
3/13/08

I

Tyson Fury's a hell of a fighter and every bit as good as his record states on paper. However, I don't think he could bully the likes of Joshua and Wilder like he has successfully done versus his previous opponents. Fury versus Parker would be a great scrap, as both brutes are powerful (but not as freakishly strong as Joshua and Wilder)...