UnderGround Forums Shocked Dustin won

9 days ago
1/1/01

I was rooting for him but thought it was a lost cause after round 1. He gutted it out and got the finish but I can't get behind a fighter that can't check leg kicks. And go to the body a bit more when you have him hurt like that. I think we see a rapid deterioration of Gaethje unfortunately. That style of absorbing punishment with your head isn't sustainable for long. Great fight even if it was incredibly frustrating to watch. Lol

Edited: 9 days ago
9/5/11

Well at least you’re laughing, right? 

9 days ago
12/2/13

Everyone was saying that in the discussion thread aswell. 

I never saw it that was. 

Dustin was landing often and heavy. Everyone knows justin accepts damage to land his leg kicks, and in hopes to exhaust his opponent. However during the rounds the only time dustin backed up was after Justing landed that hook in the third i think.

dustin was pushing the pressure and in justins soace the whole fight and doing  it on his terms, mixing in takedowns and even landed one. The legkocks was strong and damaging but The only thing that truly slowed down Dustins offense was that poke on the first, and the poke and the third. In fact the eye that the Dr was looking at and was bothering Poirier was the eye that was poked in the first round.

Justin has one style and technique, and its a fantastic game plan, however i think he could be kore successful if he chooses to use his other tools to disguise it more. His defensive wrestling is fantastic, I would like to see him more offensive with it.

9 days ago
6/16/07
I'm always shocked when Dustin wins.
9 days ago
7/15/04
Malvert the Janitor -

Well at least you’re laughing, right? 

9 days ago
4/6/18

9 days ago
1/1/01
SteckTastic -

I never saw it that was. 

Dustin was landing often and heavy. Everyone knows justin accepts damage to land his leg kicks, and in hopes to exhaust his opponent. However during the rounds the only time dustin backed up was after Justing landed that hook in the third i think.

dustin was pushing the pressure and in justins soace the whole fight and doing  it on his terms, mixing in takedowns and even landed one. The legkocks was strong and damaging but The only thing that truly slowed down Dustins offense was that poke on the first, and the poke and the third. In fact the eye that the Dr was looking at and was bothering Poirier was the eye that was poked in the first round.

Justin has one style and technique, and its a fantastic game plan, however i think he could be kore successful if he chooses to use his other tools to disguise it more. His defensive wrestling is fantastic, I would like to see him more offensive with it.

I don't think you're giving Gaethje enough credit for his time of pressure. It wasn't just Dustin moving forward and not all of Gaethje's pressure came off of eye pokes. Dustin needs to learn kick defense. He was getting hit more than he should have because he couldn't move for shit. Probably also would have been able to finish and secure a couple of those takedowns if he had taken better care of his leg. 

9 days ago
11/20/05
I don't think Justin was busy enough with his hands.
9 days ago
11/28/03

justin tends to eat tons of shots to the face. hes doin the homer simpson rope-a-dope.  hes killing his chin 1 shot at a time. is this 2 kos in a row hes suffered?

9 days ago
10/24/10
Nick Diaz still GOAT - I'm always shocked when Dustin wins.

Why is that?

9 days ago
3/23/12
Lakerup’sFloppyBBCBatonHolster -

I was rooting for him but thought it was a lost cause after round 1. He gutted it out and got the finish but I can't get behind a fighter that can't check leg kicks. And go to the body a bit more when you have him hurt like that. I think we see a rapid deterioration of Gaethje unfortunately. That style of absorbing punishment with your head isn't sustainable for long. Great fight even if it was incredibly frustrating to watch. Lol

Is Lol your signature or something?

9 days ago
1/1/01

Lol, 

Lol

9 days ago
6/30/10
SteckTastic -

I never saw it that was. 

This, he won the first two round by a landslide, he put a boxing clinic on Gaethje. Anik and Cormier couldn't stop talking about the leg kicks, even if it never bothered Poirier at all, wtf was that, horrible. 

9 days ago
10/24/10
R1WARRIOR -
SteckTastic -

I never saw it that was. 

This, he won the first two round by a landslide, he put a boxing clinic on Gaethje. Anik and Cormier couldn't stop talking about the leg kicks, even if it never bothered Poirier at all, wtf was that, horrible. 

They definitely hurt him, he was limping and grimacing after the fight. But yeah other than that Gaethje had nothing for him really.

9 days ago
12/7/10

even if it never bothered Poirier at all

He could barely push off on it at the end, da heck you talking about?? Poirer showed MASSIVE heart in this fight. To never give up and throw with bad intentions till the end, while amost hobbling, is just insane. Definitely signature win for him.

9 days ago
1/1/01

He was boxing his ass off, but he was visibly hindered by the leg kicks not even halfway through the first round. They definitely affected his overall physical ability throughout the fight. The argument could be made when scoring those landslide rounds that Gaethje landed the more damaging shots with leg kicks alone.

9 days ago
3/5/15

I kinda think it was BS that Justin wasn't given time to recover after the eyepoke to end the 3rd. I think Herb should have called time and sent Dustin to a neutral corner and given Justin a minute or two. 

I realize the round had ended but Dustin got over 2 minutes to recover after his 1st poke and Justin only received the 1 minute in between rounds. 

I know it's petty but I'd seriously consider filing an appeal if I was Justin. It probably won't change the outcome but I think it's worth a shot. It just doesn't sit right with me personally.

Great scrap though nonetheless.

9 days ago
9/22/11

I thought he was going to get walked down too.

9 days ago
10/9/10

I’m seeing a lot of people say Dustin didn’t go to the body enough, but I thought he did some really nice body work and was probably more concerned about his leg later on so became more obsessed with head hunting to get the finish. 

9 days ago
10/9/10
stainlesssteel -

even if it never bothered Poirier at all

He could barely push off on it at the end, da heck you talking about?? Poirer showed MASSIVE heart in this fight. To never give up and throw with bad intentions till the end, while amost hobbling, is just insane. Definitely signature win for him.

This. I won’t lie there was a SHRED of doubt in my mind even though I know he’s a fighter, but I will never ever doubt him again. What a fucking finish. 

9 days ago
10/9/10
The Last Emperor -

Why is that?

Please do tell. 

9 days ago
3/12/16
knot eye -

I kinda think it was BS that Justin wasn't given time to recover after the eyepoke to end the 3rd. I think Herb should have called time and sent Dustin to a neutral corner and given Justin a minute or two. 

I realize the round had ended but Dustin got over 2 minutes to recover after his 1st poke and Justin only received the 1 minute in between rounds. 

I know it's petty but I'd seriously consider filing an appeal if I was Justin. It probably won't change the outcome but I think it's worth a shot. It just doesn't sit right with me personally.

Great scrap though nonetheless.

I agree. Fighters should also be offered tampons in between rounds.

9 days ago
6/16/07
MasterofMartialArts - 
The Last Emperor -

Why is that?

Please do tell. 

it just seems he looks good then he fights a level of guys who are too much for him. he's one of those guys for me who always does the opposite of what I predict.
I just always count him out against high level guys.
there's no quit in him though.
9 days ago
1/1/01
MasterofMartialArts -

I’m seeing a lot of people say Dustin didn’t go to the body enough, but I thought he did some really nice body work and was probably more concerned about his leg later on so became more obsessed with head hunting to get the finish. 

I agree he did have some really nice body work. My main gripe about it was his lack of bodywork when going for the finish. I feel it would have come a little sooner/easier if he'd mixed it up. And with how much Gaethje had taken from him prior to the beginning of the end punch, I think he'd have done more to discourage Gaethje from throwing leg kicks by landing more to his body. Great win nonetheless.

9 days ago
4/19/17

I would love to see Justin fight Barboza. I want to see how much damage he can really take.