UnderGround Forums Terez Owens: UFC 224 85,000 buys

10 days ago
1/23/06

http://terezowens.com/ufc-224-was-giving-away-tickets-to-fill-seats/

Reports coming in that UFC 224 is going to be the lowest selling PPV for the ufc in the past 10 years.  Amanda Nunes previous fight at ufc 215 sold a speculated 100,000 buys and our sources are saying Ufc 224 is going to fall well below that mark with estimates near the 85k mark. With ESPN+ now paying 10 million per fight event, expect the UFC to promote similar cards with their new broadcast partners moving forward. For a UFC PPV show to generate $10 million, it has to be about 285,000 buys. But I guess it’s to be expected when they promote 225 before 224 was even over with.-TO

10 days ago
11/7/07
Yikes
10 days ago
10/12/12

Wmma is the best 

10 days ago
1/23/06
10 days ago
2/24/07
Funny when people bitch about Mighty Mouse or Woodley for not being draws. No one is a draw now other than Conor, GSP,, and Jones. And none of them are fighting.
10 days ago
4/20/08

Back to Invicta, kill usada and delete the men 125. 

Watch the money flow 

10 days ago
4/20/08

Also the match making, card order and fight cards in general are DOG SHIT lately. They have no fucking clue what they are doing anymore

10 days ago
3/15/10

Mackenzie ‘Brazilian’ Dern as 3rd top fight?

They deserve fewer buys.

10 days ago
1/28/09
Non N00B - 

Watch the money flow 

Exactly this. Nobody gives a fuck about wmma now that Rhonda's gone. It was also better when the fighters were juiced up. I used to be a huge fan of the UFC, now I couldn't really care less.
10 days ago
10/9/05
Ouch! I guess the UFC brand alone just isn't that strong. That ESPN deal is one heck of a deal for only 15 live events, especially being that the quality can be anything as i don't think they made requests for specific fighters on their events.

On the bright side this should give maineventers and others who are PPV draws a bit more leverage as they can use numbers like this to show what the UFC brand alone can bring in in terms of PPV buys versus what PPVs they headline bring in, and i'm not talking only Conor McGregor but many fighters maineventing can beat this number (excluding DJ who only just beats it, barely).

As an example, UFC 219 Cyborg vs. Holm and UFC 220 Miocic vs. N'Gannou, apparently did around 380,000 each, how much of the share did the fighters get from that, a tiny fraction i bet. But then again, UFC seem to be shifting more and more to TV instead of PPV and there's no profit share guarantee related to that even though UFC is on course to make even more money if the ESPN deal is anything to go by.
10 days ago
6/6/08

Is that the usual 'official' source for PPV buy numbers?

10 days ago
6/6/08

I see the FX Prelims got 574,000 avg. viewers.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/events/50243-ufc-224

10 days ago
11/19/13

Didn’t even know there was a UFC that night

10 days ago
2/5/11

Wow that’s horrendous 

Edited: 10 days ago
12/27/10

Where is MMALOGIC to needlessly rip on Bellator's numbers now... 

10 days ago
4/20/08
Robert Paulson -

Didn’t even know there was a UFC that night

I couldn’t get a soul to go to the sports bar that shows it for fucking FREE

10 days ago
1/26/08

Only source I'd trust is Meltzers. This card was more for Brazil market and a throw away PPV. Look at the next three PPVs, they should all draw real well. Then next year when they drop the number of PPVs you won't see cards with sub 500,000 buys anymore. 

10 days ago
3/19/05
whatupyo - 
Non N00B - 

Watch the money flow 

Exactly this. Nobody gives a fuck about wmma now that Rhonda's gone. It was also better when the fighters were juiced up. I used to be a huge fan of the UFC, now I couldn't really care less.

It's not WMMA. Rousey did huge numbers. It's almost the whole roster except the mega stars such as McGregor, GSP, Jones. Maybe Stipe can get decent numbers against Cormier. But that's about it.
10 days ago
8/15/07
85,000? They must be counting the people who streamed it too.
10 days ago
8/31/11

People missed some good fights  

10 days ago
1/1/01
No wonder WME wants to get off of PPV. How many buys do they need to break even? Probably more than this.
10 days ago
6/17/16

Price recently increased which pissed everybody off, and that is coming on the heels of steadily degrading fight card quality.

The main card had a female title fight headlining where the challenger was 15-7 and hadn't fought in exactly 18 months so whatever hype may have existed for her win streak was long gone, as well as a fight between 2 barely professional girls with less than 10 fights each (3-3 vs. 6-0). 

They wanted people to pay $70 for that shit.

The funny thing was it was an entertaining card with some great fights, great technique and exciting finishes, but still very tough to justify price tag. I quit paying recently and I feel much better about myself, $70 is a lot of money and will buy a lot more than a 2 hour TV show.

I think WMMA doesn't need to be completely removed it just needs to be dialed down to the appropriate level of talent that is available. They have tried to create a thing that cannot exist with the current level of talent, and then they take every opportunity possible to ram it down people's throats. It is obvious they are trying to capitalize on the social justice/ women's lib movement to sell tickets but I think if they went back through their numbers they would see that cards with too many chicks fighting do not sell well, yet they keep trying to do the same thing over and over. Fuck them if they don't have the basic business sense to evaluate their own product and figure out what is bringing in cash and what is not.

I'm not buying anything that is not top notch anymore, the days of feeling like I am supporting a grass roots thing that gives me guaranteed real enjoyment throughout the year are long gone.

Right now the entire show is basically on hold as everybody sits out and tries to pick fights waiting for paydays that will never arrive if they don't keep fighting or goes on vacation after re-habbing from surgery to fix injuries sustained during training (thanks USADA). Combine that with all the pointless shit talking and girl-centered cards not many want and the results are what should be expected.

10 days ago
9/3/12

No stars, none of the fighters have money to flash or balling outta control, swag sells but ufc too cheap 

10 days ago
6/17/16

TL;DR version:

They are selling a product people don't want to buy at a price point that is way too high. If they are too stupid to evaluate their own product and realize they are the source of most of their woes then good, fuck 'em. Have fun going out of business.

10 days ago
6/9/16
FrontBroRian - Funny when people bitch about Mighty Mouse or Woodley for not being draws. No one is a draw now other than Conor, GSP,, and Jones. And none of them are fighting.

You forgot about BROCK! Also not fighting, for now. But he got one MMA fight worked in to his new WWE extension.