UnderGround Forums There's a reason Floyd retired two years ago...

Edited: 10 days ago
10/25/09

There is one very real tangible issue that doesn't seem to get a lot of play regarding this fight.

Age is just a number, right?  It might be and some guys can keep doing it even into their forties these days.  But most athletes are out of the game looooong before 40.

And its a very rare athlete that would retire while they were still performing at their peak performance.

Floyd has obviously stated that he hated doing training camps.  He clearly wasn't motivated anymore which would be why he left the game.  Athletes retire because they can't handle the pain of training anymore.  They get way more injuries than they did when they were younger.

And most of all - they lose a step.  They slow down.  They know that they can't perform at the level that they're used to and I would argue that this is the number one reason why most quit when they do...because they feel like they would lose (or are already losing) when playing competition that they would have beaten when they were at their peak.

And in Mayweather's case he left and he's now also been out for two years.  When you're in your forties you cannot expect to get back to where you were when you're younger - and especially if you've taken a two year break.  Those two years off will be like aging 10 years for an athlete when you do it at 40. 

This isn't a hating on Floyd post (even though I do).  This is a fact - HE WILL BE SLOWER THAN THE LAST TIME HE WAS IN THE RING.  His timing will not be the same.  His ability to avoid damage will be lower than it was back then.  His reaction time will be slower.  Take all of that and combine it with the fact that if he gets hit HE WILL FEEL IT more than when he was younger, there is an opportunity for someone to come in and do things to him that couldn't have been done two years earlier.

I'm arguing that if it wasn't Conor getting into the ring with him - if it was some other top fighter - they might also have a huge opportunity to do some damage with him.

Speed and physical timing/reaction time is everything for a fighter like Floyd.  If his timing is off and slower that split second might be all the difference in the world between him doing the matrix and making his opponent miss versus him getting tagged at will.

Conor might not beat him - but there's a reason why Floyd left the game when he did.  He is ripe for the picking for someone.

10 days ago
1/3/08

Agreed, logically you'd think he'd be to fast for Conor but this won't be the same guy that's been untouchable, reactions are even more important for the lighter weights

10 days ago
5/16/16

Yeeeeehhh hard work hard work yeeeehhhh

10 days ago
6/16/07
yeah he fought all the big money fights available at the time.
10 days ago
1/6/10

I'd agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

2/1/07

Thanks Tips 

10 days ago
10/15/05

Solid post and totally logical thinking.

10 days ago
10/30/03
That's why he picked an MMA fighter...
10 days ago
7/14/17
Pierre St-George -

I'd agree with you but then we would both be wrong.

Lol

I'm gonna use this
10 days ago
5/5/07

Do you even hard work bro ? 

10 days ago
7/10/02
Well I agree with this, but fact remains he is 49-0 in the sport they will compete in... so he can lose quite a few steps and still win!

10 days ago
5/14/11
Yet, he will still murder, Conor! I hope I'm wrong. I have a reserved spot on Conor's left nut.
10 days ago
10/6/02
Maywether "40" may not be the same as other athletes 40. People age at different rates.

What if he is as good when he was 38? what if he is better now? What if he is moe motivated because his legacy is on the line after 49 wins and this being the big Five-O and the biggest fight in his career?

Fact is an old Maywether still has way better skills IN BOXING than Conor with ZERO professional TWELVE ROUND boxing matches under his belt

10 days ago
10/6/02
I knew this would happen... The closer it gets to this fight the more people will swing to Conors side.. The fantasy is why people will buy into a $99. PPV.

Before this fight people thought Nah! No way Conor beats Floyd in boxing.

Now that it gets closer to the fight people are actually buying into the hype and into buying the PPV.

Sheep!
11/3/08

He could be turning 50 and I'd still favor him

10 days ago
4/19/09
Carogan - 

There is one very real tangible issue that doesn't seem to get a lot of play regarding this fight.

Age is just a number, right?  It might be and some guys can keep doing it even into their forties these days.  But most athletes are out of the game looooong before 40.

And its a very rare athlete that would retire while they were still performing at their peak performance.

Floyd has obviously stated that he hated doing training camps.  He clearly wasn't motivated anymore which would be why he left the game.  Athletes retire because they can't handle the pain of training anymore.  They get way more injuries than they did when they were younger.

And most of all - they lose a step.  They slow down.  They know that they can't perform at the level that they're used to and I would argue that this is the number one reason why most quit when they do...because they feel like they would lose (or are already losing) when playing competition that they would have beaten when they were at their peak.

And in Mayweather's case he left and he's now also been out for two years.  When you're in your forties you cannot expect to get back to where you were when you're younger - and especially if you've taken a two year break.  Those two years off will be like aging 10 years for an athlete when you do it at 40. 

This isn't a hating on Floyd post (even though I do).  This is a fact - HE WILL BE SLOWER THAN THE LAST TIME HE WAS IN THE RING.  His timing will not be the same.  His ability to avoid damage will be lower than it was back then.  His reaction time will be slower.  Take all of that and combine it with the fact that if he gets hit HE WILL FEEL IT more than when he was younger, there is an opportunity for someone to come in and do things to him that couldn't have been done two years earlier.

I'm arguing that if it wasn't Conor getting into the ring with him - if it was some other top fighter - they might also have a huge opportunity to do some damage with him.

Speed and physical timing/reaction time is everything for a fighter like Floyd.  If his timing is off and slower that split second might be all the difference in the world between him doing the matrix and making his opponent miss versus him getting tagged at will.

Conor might not beat him - but there's a reason why Floyd left the game when he did.  He is ripe for the picking for someone.

This is exactly my thought process on the matter and the only reason im entertaining he amusing upset.
10 days ago
1/13/10

I don't think you understand Floyd's mentality and ego... if this was anyone else then I would say yea you could be right, but Floyd is very smart, he wouldn't come back if he felt he couldn't still perform or beat Conor. That 0 on his W/L record  is more important to him then the 0's on the pay check.

10 days ago
1/1/01
James Franco - That's why he picked an MMA fighter...

This. Easy work against an MMA champion that's 0-0 in boxing.

10 days ago
1/30/10

"That 0 on his W/L record  is more important to him then the 0's on the pay check."

nice, where did you get that from ?

10 days ago
1/13/10
dios -

"That 0 on his W/L record  is more important to him then the 0's on the pay check."

nice, where did you get that from ?

Just my observation lol, he's obsessed with not losing and he has enough money for 3 life times so why did he continue to fight until his late 30's??? 

10 days ago
10/18/12

No he's obsessed with money

10 days ago
1/13/10

If you don't think he's obsessed with staying undefeated then you haven't followed his career closely. 

10 days ago
4/19/09
Barry_BondsMVP -

I don't think you understand Floyd's mentality and ego... if this was anyone else then I would say yea you could be right, but Floyd is very smart, he wouldn't come back if he felt he couldn't still perform or beat Conor. That 0 on his W/L record  is more important to him then the 0's on the pay check.

anderson is also very smart and id say even more talented than Mayweather. i believe the furst weidman fight was a fluke the second a fluke and then age caught up.
10 days ago
4/8/09
he is old and feeling it..that is all.
10 days ago
1/13/10
Ghengiseanie -
Barry_BondsMVP -

anderson is also very smart and id say even more talented than Mayweather. i believe the furst weidman fight was a fluke the second a fluke and then age caught up.

The same Anderson that got sub'd in Pride? 

Floyd has dominated his sport for 21 years.