UnderGround Forums Top Salaries 2017: UFC vs WWE

Edited: 4 days ago
12/7/10

This is based on Forbes magazine's estimate of what the top stars of both the UFC and WWE would earn for 2017. It’s based on rankings, appearances and previous salary information. Also keep in mind Ronda Rousey for example hasn’t fought in 2017 at all, but it still gives a good idea of the pay structure of both the UFC and WWE.

At number 5 in the WWE is Dean Ambrose, who is estimated to make $2.7 million for 2017. In the UFC, number 5 is Anderson Silva, earning between $2 - $6 million. Not bad for Silva especially considering most UFC fighters may fight just 4-5 times a year. Ambrose is estimated to clock an amazing 190+ appearances to draw that $2.7 million. It’s true UFC fighters probably take significantly more damage in their 3-4 fights, but wrestling 192 days of a 365 day year, and Ambrose is working for every penny of that $2.47 million.

At number 4 in the WWE is Roman Reigns, earning $3.5 million. In the UFC , number 4 is Jon Jones, estimated to earn between $3-$7 million. Very comparable.

At number 3 in the UFC is Ronda Rousey, who Forbes predicts could earn $10-$15 million in 2017 with just a single fight. Don’t snicker. We’re only in October. December 31 is almost 2 months away. Enough time for a training camp, a payday, and a miracle. Regardless, Rousey’s estimated bank still dwarfs the number 3 in the WWE, Triple H at $3.8 million.

At number 2 in the WWE is John Cena at $8 million. Number 2 in the UFC is Georges St. Pierre, estimated by Forbes to earn $10-$20 million for two fights. Even though John Cena is clearly better known than St. Pierre, the edge goes to the UFC here because John Cena would have to do a lot more than 2 appearances to earn his money.

At number 1 in both sports, you come to the true surprise: both men are UFC Champions: Brock Lesnar at $12 million, and Connor McGregor at a record shattering $100 million.

McGregor’s total is vastly inflated by the fight with  Floyd Mayweather. Unless he fights Mayweather again, he may never again come near that record. But the 100 greatest UFC fighters combined, probably do not have $100 million to their name.

Perhaps this should be cause for consideration for those who believe that the UFC does not pay fighters well. Clearly the top stars of the UFC are doing as well if not better than their WWE counterparts

It’s the fighters in the rear who have to play the hustling game.

4 days ago
3/12/14
I'm guessing that wwe is base salary and doesn't include merchandise money
4 days ago
10/8/07

Conor didn't make 100mil in the UFC though.

4 days ago
12/7/10
The Destroyer88 -

Conor didn't make 100mil in the UFC though.

true

4 days ago
1/1/01
Conor McGazelle - I'm guessing that wwe is base salary and doesn't include merchandise money

Cena I have always heard is 8-10 million a year and that includes his merch money. His actual downside guarantee is around 3 million I want to say.
4 days ago
8/14/12

I think wwe guys get a cut of the gate too 

Edited: 4 days ago
5/8/15

One thing to note the WWE and it's feeder league NXT doesn't have nearly the amount on their roster as the UFC. 

UFC are also dabbling in their own feeder league. You can't be paying everyone millions od dollars, but I do agree the bottom guys/girls deserve more, not only will the pay increase made them bigger with the mdeia and fans, it will attract future (better) talent. I do think the guys in the middle of the pack make good money though imo.

4 days ago
5/14/13
I doubt that included merchandise, and other appearances. But yeah, interesting, and would be more interesting to see the top 20.
4 days ago
10/27/03

GSP is fighting twice in 2017?

4 days ago
5/8/15
The Pendulum - I doubt that included merchandise, and other appearances. But yeah, interesting, and would be more interesting to see the top 20.

It does include merch. From what I remember Vince paid Brock around 5 mill a year for part time work. John Cena makes less than Brock but he's at 8 mill easy because he sells probably that most merch in the WWE.

4 days ago
12/9/13

i have a feeling WWE is base pay and does not include, gate, ppv, merch, bonuses

4 days ago
1/1/01
The Pendulum - I doubt that included merchandise, and other appearances. But yeah, interesting, and would be more interesting to see the top 20.

It probably does, one of the things that put WCW out of business were huge contracts, like Brett Hart getting 7million for 2 years. Where Steve Austin made like $500,000. But he got a piece of the gate/ppv/merchandise sales which put in into the millions.
3 days ago
2/24/07
FingerorMoon - 

GSP is fighting twice in 2017?

This...

And Anderson Silva made up to $6M on the undercard of the Holm fight?

And most ufc fighters get 4-5 fights a year?

And gsp is fighting twice this year?

Who the f wrote that piece of shit article?

And Rousey is fighting this year?
3 days ago
12/7/10

It's an article, not a fight schedule Front Row Idiot. It's projected income for 2017 and intended to show what top earners in both the WWE and the UFC would make if they were to fight or perform at their historical averages.

but maybe too many big words for your dumb ass

3 days ago
2/24/07
stainlesssteel - 

It's an article, not a fight schedule Front Row Idiot. It's projected income for 2017 and intended to show what top earners in both the WWE and the UFC would make if they were to fight or perform at their historical averages.

but maybe too many big words for your dumb ass

So you agree with this quote?

"considering most UFC fighters may fight just 4-5 times a year."

And the below quote isn't saying what GSP is estimated to make, instead of a hypothetical scenario?

"At number 2 in the WWE is John Cena at $8 million. Number 2 in the UFC is Georges St. Pierre, estimated by Forbes to earn $10-$20 million for two fights."

Seems it's pretty clear. It's giving the estimated annual salaries for WWE performers and making random shit up for UFC fighters.

Conor's "historical average" is $100M a year?
3 days ago
2/24/07
"Perhaps this should be cause for consideration for those who believe that the UFC does not pay fighters well. Clearly the top stars of the UFC are doing as well if not better than their WWE counterparts"

And what a dumb f'n quote. It should be "Clearly the top stars in the UFC are doing as well as well if not better than their WWE counterparts in our completely made up hypothetical scenario."

Which dumbass shill journalist put this garbage together? Or was it you OP which is why you go so offended by me calling you an idiot?
3 days ago
1/4/17

Just have a discussion without calling each other idiots 

3 days ago
7/27/07

They should only be counting money from fight purses in the UFC. They are trying to tie in outside sponsors and money earned from Mayweather Promotions which has nothing to do with the UFC or MMA. 

3 days ago
2/24/07
PrettyBoy - 

They should only be counting money from fight purses in the UFC. They are trying to tie in outside sponsors and money earned from Mayweather Promotions which has nothing to do with the UFC or MMA. 

I have less a problem with that, but the fact they try to compare UFC pay to WWE pay and then claim GSP will fight twice in 2017. We all know that is not the case.

They also have Rousey as the 3rd highest paid athlete in the UFC in 2017, despite the fact she clearly will not be fighting, so her salary this year will be $0.

In the UFC in 2017, Jones was prob the highest paid. DC was probably second. After that, Anderson was probably 3rd around $1M. If they are going to compare, it's dumb to use WWE actual salaries and UFC hypothetical scenarios, and then make the claim that UFC athletes make more.

Clearly it's a pro-UFC shill "journalist," claiming UFC fighters compete up to 4-5 times per year. My guess is less than 1% fight at least 4 times a year.
3 days ago
1/1/01
They should all fight each other at UFCMania live on PPV.
3 days ago
5/17/13

HHH only makes 3.8 million?? Not sure I believe 

3 days ago
12/7/10
CanberraMMA -

My apologies canberra, you are correct. when mr front row goes low, I'll just go high. I'm not sure if he fully understands what PROJECTED income means. We're still in 2017 dude, all these figures could end up being higher or lower. And if you think it's 'random shit' that Rousey could bank $10 mil on her next fight alone, your name should be changed to backrowpluto.

3 days ago
1/1/01
Ronda Rousey will be in the WWE before she fights in the UFC again.
3 days ago
2/24/07
stainlesssteel - 
CanberraMMA -

My apologies canberra, you are correct. when mr front row goes low, I'll just go high. I'm not sure if he fully understands what PROJECTED income means. We're still in 2017 dude, all these figures could end up being higher or lower. And if you think it's 'random shit' that Rousey could bank $10 mil on her next fight alone, your name should be changed to backrowpluto.

Hey dipshit...pay attention. My first quote on this thread wasn't even directed at your dumbass, but in response to how stupid the author of that garbage was, and you attacked me.

YOUR thread title is "Top salaries 2017: UFC vs WWE," implying it is comparing the salaries of the UFC's top earners to WWE's top earners. It lists WWE's actual salaries and then lists what UFC fighters could make.

* Do you think Rousey will fight in the next 2.5 months with nothing signed and make $10-$20M in 2017 or do you think it's more realistic she doesn't fight this calendar year and will make $0? Exactly. So the article is wrong.

* Do you think Anderson made $6M on the undercard of the Holm fight, which generated 200K buys and his disclosed salary was $800K? OF course he did not. Article is wrong.

* It says GSP will fight twice in 2017. Do you think he'll fight in November and AGAIN in December? Of course he won't. So the article is wrong.

* Do you think "most" UFC fighters fight 4-5 times per year? Of course they don't. Article is wrong.

* When they say it's October and "December 31st is almost 2 months away, is that correct? No it's not, it's over 2 months. Article is wrong.

Not sure why you're so adamant about defending it, unless you are the moron author that got damn near everything wrong throughout that entire piece of trash.
3 days ago
1/14/12
Guess Cena makes serious bank after his merchandise sales PPV points and personal appearances.

Got to believe even the midcard guys at WWE make more t-shirt money than Reebok pays.