UnderGround Forums UFC Press: Jimmy Smith to Join UFC Broadcast Team

8 days ago
2/24/10

VETERAN MMA AND BOXING ANNOUNCER JIMMY SMITH TO JOIN UFC BROADCAST TEAM IN 2018

Las Vegas – UFC® is excited to announce the addition of veteran color commentator Jimmy Smith to the UFC broadcast team. Smith is one of the most respected voices in both mixed martial arts and boxing and will join UFC broadcasts for Fox Sports and Pay-Per-View events, as well as for pre-fight programming.

Jimmy Smith had the following to say, “I am honored to join the world’s premier combat sports brand in 2018. It is a privilege to call fights for a living and I can’t wait to join the tremendous UFC broadcast team to call the best fights in the world. To the UFC fans, I am thrilled to join you for this wild ride. See you all very soon!”  

“We’re very excited to have Jimmy Smith join the UFC production team and look forward to working him into a variety of different on-air talent roles,” adds UFC Executive Vice President of Operations and Production Craig Borsari. “Jimmy’s extensive experience in mixed martial arts gives him a unique voice and great insight to breakdown the intricacies of our sport. We are excited to welcome him to the family.”

8 days ago
2/24/10

8 days ago
4/22/07
Its like the fake razor and diesel. Rogan is going to wcw soon.
8 days ago
9/24/12

Good for Jimmy, cant wait for he and Joe to do 3 man booths

8 days ago
12/24/03
Great, I like Jimmy.
8 days ago
10/28/07

He must have been making too much money. It just doesn’t make sense why Bellator would let him go unless they couldn’t afford him.

8 days ago
5/13/05

I actually liked his commentary and if Joe decides to step away for whatever reason I think Jimmy is a good replacement. 

8 days ago
2/5/14
cyberc92 -

I actually liked his commentary and if Joe decides to step away for whatever reason I think Jimmy is a good replacement. 

This is probably exactly why they did it. They're hoping the casuals won't be able to notice and things won't skip a beat.

8 days ago
2/15/06
Bellator got Goldie

UFC got Jimmy Smith

Fair trade?
8 days ago
4/22/07
JoeMimic -

He must have been making too much money. It just doesn’t make sense why Bellator would let him go unless they couldn’t afford him.

He said renewal time was coming, and the renewal offer wasnt what he expected.
8 days ago
9/26/12

Awesome! 

8 days ago
3/26/09
JoeMimic - 

Jimmy said that at the end of his contract, they said that they wanted to rework his deal.  They came back with a number that didn't work for Jimmy so they went their seperate ways so yes, it appears that, at the least, they wanted to pay him less than what he thought he was worth.  

8 days ago
3/17/14
StrikingMMA - Bellator got Goldie

UFC got Jimmy Smith

Fair trade?
Livin in a matrix
8 days ago
10/28/07
Snappy Whistleteeth -
JoeMimic - 

Jimmy said that at the end of his contract, they said that they wanted to rework his deal.  They came back with a number that didn't work for Jimmy so they went their seperate ways so yes, it appears that, at the least, they wanted to pay him less than what he thought he was worth.  

I believe he said it was a four year deal he had signed originally which would have been a little before Bjorn left Bellator so it would make sense that he was making decent coin.

8 days ago
1/14/07
StrikingMMA - Bellator got Goldie

UFC got Jimmy Smith

Fair trade?

Virtually identical.
8 days ago
5/15/15
So Bellator got Benson,Rory,Bader,Mousasi,Mir,Nelson, and Larkin. UFC gets bizzaro Joe Rogan good deal.
8 days ago
2/24/10
knappster -
StrikingMMA - Bellator got Goldie

UFC got Jimmy Smith

Fair trade?
Livin in a matrix

The world really did end in 2012.  This is an alternate universe.

8 days ago
1/29/12

Can't wait for the lead-in to a ppv with Joe, jimmy and Dana standing there lol

This is great news for the ufc being serious

8 days ago
12/11/05
RdotC - 

UFC got Jimmy Smith

Fair trade?

Virtually identical.

Bwah!
8 days ago
7/7/12

UFC didnt even pretend he wasn't 1000x the commentator of everyone they had on roster lol. Good move.

7 days ago
12/28/12

So awesome

7 days ago
2/4/11
GoldbergsAdderall -
cyberc92 -

This is probably exactly why they did it. They're hoping the casuals won't be able to notice and things won't skip a beat.

Wouldn't surprise me.. There have already been rumors that Rogan has one foot out the door wanting to step down..

Who knows.. Rogan could transfer over to UFC Boxing as commentator if/when Uncle Dana gets it off the ground..
7 days ago
2/15/06
RdotC - 

UFC got Jimmy Smith

Fair trade?

Virtually identical.

:)
7 days ago
8/19/13

Amazing news. Jimmy should be the guy to replace Joe when he eventually leaves commentating entirely. Jimmy really is the best out there. 

7 days ago
7/22/05

AWesome news