UnderGround Forums USADA strikes again!

1/18/18 6:07 AM
10/8/07

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/1/17/16904384/cynthia-calvillo-fails-drug-test-for-marijuana-metabolites-facing-ufc-anti-doping-violation

why are they still testing for marijuana in 2018?

1/18/18 11:58 PM
10/25/09

It was an in-competition test.

I'm all for legal marijuana but I understand why a violent combat sport like MMA wouldn't want fighters stepping into the cage high.  

It sucks to get busted for THC but man if you're a professional athlete couldn't you just abstain from the shit until after your bout?  Show a little will power.

1/19/18 12:52 AM
11/9/17
USADA is a joke at this point!
1/19/18 1:06 AM
10/25/09
PelosiesPanties - USADA is a joke at this point!

You do realize that USADA doesn't make the rules, right?

1/19/18 1:45 AM
12/10/09
Carogan -

I'm all for legal marijuana but I understand why a violent combat sport like MMA wouldn't want fighters stepping into the cage high.  

It sucks to get busted for THC but man if you're a professional athlete couldn't you just abstain from the shit until after your bout?  Show a little will power.

This. Be a professional. Just like walking in the ring with alcohol on your breath. 

1/19/18 1:49 AM
7/23/10

"stepping into the cage high. "

It doesn't mean she was high when she was fighting. Metabolites stay in your system for days, weeks..

1/19/18 1:52 AM
10/25/09
Masakyst -

It doesn't mean she was high when she was fighting. Metabolites stay in your system for days, weeks..

The reason they test for it in-competition is to ensure they don't step into the cage high.

Edited: 1/19/18 2:28 AM
7/23/10
Carogan -
Masakyst -

The reason they test for it in-competition is to ensure they don't step into the cage high.

In that case, it would be easier and cheaper to just keep them in a room and supervise them for an hour before their fight. Then, if they did smoke, they won't be high anymore by the time they walk out to the octagon. 

If the goal is to catch them getting high right before a fight, then they shouldn't be using a costly test that can nail them for something they did a week ago and the effects have long since subsided. USE EYES.

1/19/18 2:39 AM
12/28/12
Masakyst -
Carogan -
Masakyst -

In that case, it would be easier and cheaper to just keep them in a room and supervise them for an hour before their fight. Then, if they did smoke, they won't be high anymore by the time they walk out to the octagon. 

If the goal is to catch them getting high right before a fight, then they shouldn't be using a costly test that can nail them for something they did a week ago and the effects have long since subsided. USE EYES.

cool idea bro

1/19/18 2:42 AM
5/30/15
Masakyst -
Carogan -
Masakyst -

1/19/18 3:03 AM
9/19/14

Man wtf this is horseshit 

1/19/18 3:31 AM
2/3/10

She probabaly ate an edible, who cares 

1/19/18 6:00 AM
4/3/16
The devil's lettuce!
1/19/18 7:33 AM
10/26/03
FUSADA
Edited: 1/19/18 10:23 AM
8/30/16
Carogan -

You can't ssume at 180 ng / mL that she was fighting under the influence.

- First, 150 ng / mL isn't really that much. I've heard of chronic smokers testing > 1000 ng / mL. If she's a chronic smoker / vaper or eats lots of edibles, she could be at 150 ng / mL after weeks of abstaining.

- Second, cutting weight will cause the metabolites to appear at a higher concentration given there's less water in the body to begin with. Much more likely to fail the test after a hard weight cut.

- Third, do we know whether the test she failed was administered pre or post-fight?

I totally agree that fighters shouldn't enter the cage under the influence but I don't think from this test result or what's been reported that one can conclude she was high during the fight.

1/19/18 11:26 AM
2/24/07
Masakyst - 
Carogan -
Masakyst -

Or else just, you know, don't smoke weed while in competition, like hundreds of other fighters. If you can't stop, it's probably a problem like any other addiction.
1/19/18 1:31 PM
11/17/11
Masakyst -
Carogan -
Masakyst -

IDK what kind of dirt weed you've got, but I'll feel the effects from mine for more than an hour after smoking. 

1/19/18 1:32 PM
11/17/11
truffleButter -
Carogan -

- First, 150 ng / mL isn't really that much. I've heard of chronic smokers testing > 1000 ng / mL. If she's a chronic smoker / vaper or eats lots of edibles, she could be at 150 ng / mL after weeks of abstaining.

- Second, cutting weight will cause the metabolites to appear at a higher concentration given there's less water in the body to begin with. Much more likely to fail the test after a hard weight cut.

- Third, do we know whether the test she failed was administered pre or post-fight?

I totally agree that fighters shouldn't enter the cage under the influence but I don't think from this test result or what's been reported that one can conclude she was high during the fight.

I see your point, but the tester's counter point would be that all of these circumstances also applied to her opponent, who did not fail. If everyone failed and it was determined that the limits are too strict, then I get it. If one person fails and says that, then maybe they are just playing with fire and got burned. 

1/19/18 1:42 PM
8/30/16
Death Beast -
truffleButter -
Carogan -

I see your point, but the tester's counter point would be that all of these circumstances also applied to her opponent, who did not fail. If everyone failed and it was determined that the limits are too strict, then I get it. If one person fails and says that, then maybe they are just playing with fire and got burned. 

I totally agree that the rules are the rules and they need to be applied consistently - not arguing she should get some sort of pass here. What I am objecting to is the notion that this rule in its current form is necessary or actually protecting anyone.

Some context here - when WA State legalized recreational weed, the law included a new provision defining a THC threshold for impairment that could be used to charge for DUI. The threshold is 5 ng / mL. It wasn't particularly scientific and was widely criticized but people also recognized the need for some standard. The problem with this approach is that a lot of people end up getting fucked by the legal system while the courts sort things out waiting for the legislature to eventually set a better standard. Probably sucks to be one of those people.

1/19/18 2:38 PM
6/7/12
scrapdo -
Carogan -

This. Be a professional. Just like walking in the ring with alcohol on your breath. 

Yep. Most of the country also manages to do this every day at work.
1/19/18 6:31 PM
10/6/14
Carogan -

This. What a retard.
1/19/18 6:53 PM
12/9/13
truffleButter -
Carogan -

you are confusing the Quest bogus labs with the high end WADA labs, Nick Diaz knows all about it.

above 180 tested by a WADA lab is totally nuts and insane, 100% athlete's fault

1/19/18 9:20 PM
10/25/09
Death Beast -
truffleButter -
Carogan -

I didn't say that they would conclude SHE was high.  She may very well not be at that level.

What I did say was that they test for THC metabolites because they need to make sure that people don't step into the cage high.  This is not a subtle distinction.

If someone tests below 180 ng/mL (if that is in fact the threshold) you can be pretty certain a fighter is NOT high then.

1/19/18 9:57 PM
5/17/08
Carogan -

I don't think her results necessarily mean she was high during the fight.  Probably just smoked too close to the event though.

1/19/18 10:10 PM
8/19/15
truffleButter -
Carogan -

I thought 150 was a pretty high threshold? 

A company I used to work for set their threshold at 50, and I know some questionable dudes (that had stopped like 1-2ish weeks pretest) that passed the tests at 50. 

Then again I don’t really do the devil’s lettuce so I’m not as informed about this as you probably are.