UnderGround Forums Underrated 16-0 old school UFC fighter

5/18/18 2:34 PM
1/1/01

This fighter beat a lot of top competition in his day including Jake Shields.  He had to quit fighting early unfortunately because fighting didnt pay the bills.  One of the toughest guys I ever met.

5/18/18 2:37 PM
1/1/01

I talked to him after a fight and asked him why he fought,  I'll never forget his answer.

"16. … 16 fights, that’s the number I figured when I was a kid. 16 Pro fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that’s what you are."

5/18/18 2:39 PM
1/1/01
Phillip Miller?
5/18/18 2:40 PM
1/1/01
just guessing
5/18/18 2:40 PM
1/1/01

Real fans know

5/18/18 3:23 PM
1/1/01
Master Shredder - Phillip Miller?

Yep. Phillip Miller.
5/18/18 4:50 PM
8/6/06

What happened to Phillip Miller? I've always been curious, and I don't understand why nobody ever brings this up every year.

5/18/18 5:35 PM
10/8/07
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -

What happened to Phillip Miller? I've always been curious, and I don't understand why nobody ever brings this up every year.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/articles/1/Phillip-Miller-Where-Is-He-Now-17213

5/18/18 5:46 PM
1/22/05
He was right to quit when he did. There was no money in MMA back then, and he was pretty one dimensional. The sport would have caught up with him before the pay-scale was enough for him to make a good living.
5/18/18 6:06 PM
6/6/04
Miller was a wrestler who Blatnik described as " having heavy hands" and had an engine. relentless, tough.

Maybe his last fight against British fighter Mark Weir's karate took some heavy kicks but kept coming.

Became a Police Officer in Northern California is my understanding.
5/18/18 6:43 PM
5/6/16
Knew who it was before reading your post..Sad great fighter and good dude
5/18/18 11:00 PM
7/24/14
Tim Duncan -

I talked to him after a fight and asked him why he fought,  I'll never forget his answer.

"16. … 16 fights, that’s the number I figured when I was a kid. 16 Pro fights and you could consider yourself a legitimate tough guy. You need them for experience. To develop leather skin. So I got started. Of course along the way you stop thinking about being tough and all that. It stops being the point. You get past the silliness of it all. But then, after, you realize that’s what you are."

Taylor Reese. 

Knockaround guys

5/18/18 11:19 PM
1/1/01

5/19/18 7:03 PM
1/1/01
Wasn't he offered Baroni after his win over Weir and turned it down, then retired?
5/19/18 7:07 PM
1/1/01
To be fair, he beat Jake Shields by UD in Shields first year of fighting MMA.

Miller was a solid fighter but its not like someone like Cain, Fedor, Anderson, GSP, Edgar leaving early.

If he stuck around he would have lost a lot and was unlikely to earn a title shot or win a belt if he did.

A good fighter for sure.
5/19/18 7:08 PM
1/1/01
16-0 was a huge deal back then though. Almost nobody achieved that.
5/19/18 11:08 PM
7/25/02
He never really looked impressive but was tough as nails. His fight with weir, imo, made him realize he was at the highest level he could get and decided to go out undefeated. I still can't believe the shots he took in that fight and kept going.
Edited: 5/20/18 1:49 AM
11/24/13

A lot of incorrect assessments in this thread. For one thing, Jake got the GSP fight in Canada which was one of the biggest live sporting events they've ever done (at the time, it was the biggest). He definitely made money, and had the platform to then go on to make even more money. He never evolved his game and thus didn't make any fans. In particular his standup was unbelievably bad. In Dana's mind, he was in the same category as a Jon Fitch. The sportkiller type of fighter who's gameplan is to purposely make the fight boring. I don't agree with that assessment, but I guarantee you that's what Dana thought. IIRC, the UFC opted to not re-sign him after he won is last 4/5 fights.

5/20/18 7:05 AM
1/1/01
Nytron - 

A lot of incorrect assessments in this thread. For one thing, Jake got the GSP fight in Canada which was one of the biggest live sporting events they've ever done (at the time, it was the biggest). He definitely made money, and had the platform to then go on to make even more money. He never evolved his game and thus didn't make any fans. In particular his standup was unbelievably bad. In Dana's mind, he was in the same category as a Jon Fitch. The sportkiller type of fighter who's gameplan is to purposely make the fight boring. I don't agree with that assessment, but I guarantee you that's what Dana thought. IIRC, the UFC opted to not re-sign him after he won is last 4/5 fights.

Not sure what thread this guy was trying to post in with this comment but damn...

Larkin, Askren, Shields, Fitch, MacDonald...

Thats an incredible amount of top talent to never sign/let go/underbid. All three of the later guys were still in their prime when they were let go/left.

Add to that GSP left still close to his prime and guys like Lima, Koreshkov never signed...
5/20/18 8:33 AM
11/24/13
BJ Penn Forever -
Nytron - 

Not sure what thread this guy was trying to post in with this comment but damn...

Larkin, Askren, Shields, Fitch, MacDonald...

Thats an incredible amount of top talent to never sign/let go/underbid. All three of the later guys were still in their prime when they were let go/left.

Add to that GSP left still close to his prime and guys like Lima, Koreshkov never signed...

Oh lol, I thought the fighter he was eluding to was Jake Shields. Barely read OP, my bad lol.

5/20/18 8:50 AM
3/14/02

I bet on him and won when he fought James Zickic, unfortunately the dirty online MMA bookie didn't pay out.