UnderGround Forums Vitor announces retirement after Hall fight

9 days ago
2/24/10

https://www.mmanytt.com/latest-news/breaking-vitor-belfor-retire-fight-uriah-hall-sunday/

“This is my retirement fight,” Belfort told the UFC Unfiltered Podcast. “After that I’m going to put my body to rest. This is it. Breaking news.”

Belfort then went on to explain why now is the time for him to hang up the 4-oz gloves. Father time appears to have finally caught up with the UFC 12 Heavyweight Tournament Champion and he’s come to the realisation that his time in the sport as an active fighter is now finally done.

“I think I did more than enough,” Belfort said. “Just to think back, sometimes I flashback just like Matt said, and I’m like ‘Wow, I’m still doing this, wow man, this is crazy.’

“I’m very thankful, but I think my body need to rest. I have other things, I have a business of my own, I developed have a system, I developed a group class training system that we’re going to franchise. I just want to leave to help the sport in a way, work with the sport and help and do other things. We got to know the time to start and I think we need to know the time to end and it’s about time.”

Hitting 40-years-old appears to have played a big part in Belfort’s decision to call time on his career. Reflecting on what he’s accomplished, he’s happy with what he’s achieved ahead of his 42nd and final fight of his career on Sunday.

“You cannot tell me that the 40-year-old has a fresh body,” Belfort said. “Of course, it’s not the same. I’m very fortunate that I knew how to, I had a lot of experience and I had the chance to work with the best coaches and fitness products in the world, so I knew how to take care of my body, but I think it’s time you know. I’ve got kids and I want to be able to, I think I donate a lot of time in a lot of stuff to the sport and I think it’s time. I see the sport is growing and there are great talents.

“I’m just leaving the sport where guys in my era are never expected to still be fighting and still be relevant. I think I need to walk away and that was my journey. I accomplished a lot of great things and I want to do all the great things. I’m about to start on my second journey of life and I’m happy.”

Almost 20 yrs ago

9 days ago
4/20/05
one of my favs of all time. very exciting fighter. man the heyday is over for all us old schoolers. fans & fighters!
9 days ago
11/9/17
His career is the definition of peaks and valleys!
9 days ago
1/24/17

Vitor never got the full respect he deserved. He would have KOed Fedor in 2009 if they fought in Affliction, would have been one of the biggest moments in MMA history

9 days ago
8/6/06

Lol, he annonced his retirement before his last fight, too.

9 days ago
12/6/11

Vitor is one of my favorites! He should have retired a while ago though.

9 days ago
9/12/10
The Immortal One -

Vitor never got the full respect he deserved. He would have KOed Fedor in 2009 if they fought in Affliction, would have been one of the biggest moments in MMA history

That would have been an awesome fight at the time
9 days ago
1/1/01
We're about the same age, so I was literally starting my career as he started his. Ever since that first fight, I've watch every fight (even the dark year lol).

Good times, upsets and disappointments.

I wish him the best whatever's next!

Thanks Vitor!
9 days ago
1/1/15

Does this mean we may get to see the young lionasaur trtitor one last time?!

Edited: 9 days ago
1/1/01

Is Belfort the current UFC fighter with the earliest UFC participation to date?

9 days ago
2/24/10
Unclemac1 -

Is Belfort the current UFC fighter with the earliest UFC participation to date?

I think so, UFC 12

I thought maybe Josh Barnett but it looks like he wasn't in the UFC until #28.

9 days ago
10/31/15
Is it the last fight on his contract? Hope to see him get back on the juice and fight again without USADA
9 days ago
11/1/03

Seems like he went downhill when trt was stopped. Great career and seemed like a good guy. He pulled a lot of punches against down opponents.

9 days ago
6/16/07
he should just go back to Japan.
9 days ago
10/6/02
PelosiesPanties - His career is the definition of peaks and valleys!

Yeah like his sister disappearing. Low testeosterone issues.

His valleys seem to be legit compared to other fighters .

9 days ago
8/1/16

Arlovski and Barnett debut on the same card

9 days ago
9/22/11

It's been a wild ride....nobody could blitzkrieg like vitor. 

9 days ago
7/2/15

I saw his first UFC fight live on PPV. I swear, I'll never forget how I felt when I saw that combo against Tra Telligman. He literally looked super human. Poor Telligman never had a chance.  

9 days ago
5/5/07

Not buying it.  He def going to rizin after 

9 days ago
1/24/17
TheDarkPassenger -
The Immortal One -

That would have been an awesome fight at the time

that would have probably been upset of the century too cause fedor was considered to be god at that time, I would have bet the house on vitor if that happened, considering how fedor was struggling against the straight punches and speed of arlovski

9 days ago
1/24/17

Vitor definitley deserves to be in the hall of fame for sure

9 days ago
1/1/01
If he goes out and lights up Hall then I'd find that very hard to believe. That said I think Hall beats him anyways.
Edited: 9 days ago
1/1/01

Yeah hopefully it’s a troll job against UFC and USADA. He’s retiring....Dad Bod Vitor. Japan, here he comes!

9 days ago
1/23/06

9 days ago
4/28/06
In theory he could go nuts on the steroids since they can't suspend him afterwards if he's retired... think about it