UnderGround Forums WTF happened to Barboza??

4/22/18 1:33 AM
7/3/06
He used to be an animal.

Hes my favorite fighter but its like he's moving in quicksand these days. In his earlier fights he was amazing. Footwork and speed was on point, he mixed up his attacks & was hell to deal with.

Now he has abandoned his infamous leg kicks, spams wheel kicks, plods around & allows his opponents to dictate the pace.

Its frustrating as hes my favorite fighter. Reminds me of current GSP. Slow and hittable. They need to figure out what's going on. Something has changed. Man this loss hurts.
4/22/18 1:36 AM
1/1/01

He needs a better wrestling/ground fighting coach

4/22/18 1:39 AM
6/25/11

I dont think anything has happend.

I love the dude my fav LW but his last 2 fights expos d his weakness.

He needs to get on the front foot, get set and get off first find his rhythm but both Khabib and Lee push the pase and crowded him not allowing him to get off first and making him try to fight off the back foot going backwoods then once that happens it allows their takedown and he is a training dummy off his back to those 2.

After this beating he might slow down a bit but.

4/22/18 1:40 AM
9/18/14

He looks the same as he always has imo.

4/22/18 1:41 AM
7/3/06
Yea he definitely needs one of those.

He's becoming a punching bag now. I know the guys in the top 5 are at a higher level than some of the dudes he's beaten but he really fights differently. Gives up takedowns, plods on his feet instead of his heels, has limited his attacks to body kicks and wheel kicks.

Its like he smoked a joint just before each fight.
Edited: 4/22/18 2:18 AM
4/24/17

He needs a brain transplant.

The guy has crazy heart, amazing technical striking (keyword technical), and looks like a really super nice guy (no sarcasm).

But he's just mentally not sharp enough, there's no other way to put it.

What made Anderson special was his brain. That guy was/is really fucking sharp. He just processed things faster than other fighters, it's really obvious.

Edson on the other hand gets overwhelmed when things get too dirty/busy, you can tell he can't deal with the overload of information.

Honestly I don't think there's anything he can do, that's basically 99% genetics.

4/22/18 1:52 AM
5/13/05

He has terrible fight IQ. He is right up there with Thiago Alves and JDS for fighters who cannot make an adjustment mid fight.

4/22/18 2:08 AM
8/28/17

He’s the best stand up fighter in the UFC but instead of finding others who suit his style, Dana keeps feeding him to wrestlers. Unlike Conor who he spoon fed every fight to in his favor, maybe if Barboza was a piece of shit asshole he would “move the needle” that Dana wants

4/22/18 2:17 AM
1/1/01
mma_jeremy -

He needs a brain transplant.

The guy has crazy heart, amazing technical striking (keyword technical), and look like a really super nice guy (no sarcasm).

But he's just mentally not sharp enough, there's no other way to put it.

What made Anderson special was his brain. That guy was/is really fucking sharp. He just processed things faster than other fighters, it's really obvious.

Edson on the other hand gets overwhelmed when things get too dirty/busy, you can tell he can't deal with the overload of information.

Honestly I don't think there's anything he can do, that's basically 99% genetics.

I agree 100%. Physically he is a specimen, but he gets frustrated easily and rarely puts it together. When he dictates the pace he is a beast, but he looks lost when he’s going backwards.

4/22/18 2:28 AM
11/29/11

He's probably the most durable guy in the division. He will never quit or be finished on he ground anymore. Unfortunately his get to your feet bjj is still just a hip push. He did an excellent job tonight doing the one thing he absolutely should do and that's give up his back. He was effective every second he was he was on his feet. It's like you guys don't have a fucking clue what you are watching and parrot Karyn Bryant lol. Buncha Karyn Bryants in this beotch 

4/22/18 3:21 AM
1/12/12
He just got done fighting two of the three best fighters in the 155 division. Ferguson obviously being the other. Not only that, he just fought two tremendous wrestlers who are big and incredibly strong for the division.

It's not like he doesn't want the fight to stay on his feet or he doesn't want to dictate the pace. It's just the fact that Khabib and Lee have the ability to pose their will on 155ers.

Noting is wrong with him and those guys beat him. It's not like he simply blew it.

4/22/18 3:47 AM
1/23/06
He's a lot like Wand in some regards. Brazilian warrior that nobody wants to stand with, but has a weakness against top flight wrestlers.
4/22/18 4:27 AM
1/1/01
keithws2 - He just got done fighting two of the three best fighters in the 155 division. Ferguson obviously being the other. Not only that, he just fought two tremendous wrestlers who are big and incredibly strong for the division.

It's not like he doesn't want the fight to stay on his feet or he doesn't want to dictate the pace. It's just the fact that Khabib and Lee have the ability to pose their will on 155ers.

Noting is wrong with him and those guys beat him. It's not like he simply blew it.

Although, he's gone 0-3, give him credit for fighting Ferguson, Khabib, and Lee. That's probably the highest "strength of schedule" anyone at LW has taken on.
4/22/18 4:36 AM
8/17/12

He’s the same fighter as always, he’s just been figured out. Needs to change his style to adjust

4/22/18 4:46 AM
5/20/10

Given his physical and technical attributes, he should be a world beater.

But as others mentioned, he has very low fight IQ. 

4/22/18 5:55 AM
10/25/14
PaynanDiaz -

He’s the best stand up fighter in the UFC but instead of finding others who suit his style, Dana keeps feeding him to wrestlers. Unlike Conor who he spoon fed every fight to in his favor, maybe if Barboza was a piece of shit asshole he would “move the needle” that Dana wants

He is not the best stand up fighter in the ufc, he cant fight of the back foot similar to Pettis. Hate Conor all you want but Conor can actually fight of the back foot

4/22/18 8:12 AM
6/17/16

Backs straight up to fence and doesn't employ much circling out, waits too long to start defending when clinched on fence and let's his opponents get their weight underneath him so he gets dumped on the takedown, wasn't leg kicking, and generally was a step behind doing a lot of waiting snd attempting to counter. If he fought with the same urgency that he had in the later rounds when he got opportunities on the feet he probably would have done a lot more damage and been able to slow Kevin down faster. Also making him chase more probably would have helped a bit. Barboza definitely seemed off in the first two rounds. Lee was smashing him but he seemed a little too content to just lay there and take it while he tried to wait out the clock.

Edited: 4/22/18 8:17 AM
7/19/13

I hate how fans act like something changed when a fighter has a bad night. What HAPPENED was that styles make fights. Barbosa is still as fast twitch and explosive as ever, obviously evidenced with how he almost pulled it off again tonight. What happened was Kevin Lee was also athletically gifted and was able to CONTROL him. Edson needs to learn how to stop a takedown... that’s what happened. Sometimes blackjack doesn’t fall in your lap. He threw some killshots tonight that would have you singing a different tune had they landed within an inch of where they landed. There was a knee in particular that he threw that looked like the one he murdered that other guy with, that JUST BARELY missed it’s target. Sometimes it’s just not your night, it doesn’t mean you suddenly suck. Sometimes I HATE FANS! 

4/22/18 8:23 AM
10/31/05
TDD would be ideal, but I have no clue why he's not learned more sweeps or subs from his back. Lee was able to pass at will and absolutely punish him. Someone with Barboza's build/strength should be able to either tie a guy up and wait for the standup or take advantage of their mistakes in order to sweep/attempt a sub.
4/22/18 8:35 AM
6/18/16

Tough sob, one of my fav fighters. He doesn't have much defense but thats not why i like him. Hes so entertaining. 

4/22/18 10:46 AM
3/18/02
slm181 - 

Given his physical and technical attributes, he should be a world beater.

But as others mentioned, he has very low fight IQ. 

i agree

why on earth he didnt stand up when he landed that spin kick is beyond me.  For the first few moments of the shot, Lee wasnt in deep at all.  Edson coulda stood up and knocked his block off. 

4/22/18 10:50 AM
5/9/06

He fought two above average wrestlers in a row that were able to exploit his weakness. Doesn’t mean he sucks or has gone downhill. 

4/22/18 11:12 AM
3/2/12

>loses 2 fights to top flight contenders, gets POUNDED on in both fights but doesn't go out

>still puts one of them like a deer on ice skates in yet another one of the greatest wheel kicks ever seen, after being smashed for 2 rounds...

Go watch the beginnings of his fights with Lee and Khabib and see how fast and snapping his kicks are.... it's called being grounded and taking damage. That shit slows you down, saps your muscular ability to be explosive, drains your cardio, affects your ability to think quickly and concisely, etc etc etc.

Barboza is a motherfucker and you guys need to give him more credit. Let him fight another Dariush, Felder, Etim etc. The dude is by far above and beyond the best striker at LW.

4/22/18 11:34 AM
12/28/14
voodoo child -

He needs a better wrestling/ground fighting coach

Right, because Ricardo almeida is an awful coach

4/22/18 11:40 AM
7/15/04

He was gassed after taking a severe beating first couple rounds against better wrestlers.

Nothing has changed, he just ran into guys that could take him down and beat him up.

How do you think Conor would look on his feet after being taken down for a round or two and beaten to a pulp by those guys?