UnderGround Forums When Romero blitzed with punches..

2/11/18 2:06 PM
9/27/15
Did Rockhold have any chance at ducking under and going for the takedown? I think Romero caught him with his first lead in punch so probably not but damn I wanted to see Rockholds grappling vs Romeros!
2/11/18 2:08 PM
1/15/07

Rockhold was probably scared of a flying knee splitting his head in half like Weidman.

2/11/18 2:09 PM
1/1/01

He should have just side stepped

2/11/18 5:01 PM
12/7/14
JOESONDO -

we joke about that, but... Yes! That backing straight up with his head bolt upright shit is what gets him killed every time he loses!

2/11/18 5:19 PM
8/2/11

Head mooment!!

2/11/18 5:22 PM
9/27/15
HoldMeCloser - 

rockhold would have destroyed yoel in a ground war, unfortnately for him he left his camp of strong wrestlers to go train striking with mr hooft and no disrespect to anyone but that was why luke lost this fight. he got this false sense of security with his hooft striking  and thought he could pick yoel apart which would have worked excellent if luke initiated the ground game to force yoel to use his explosive wrestling and gas himself out first..

yoel learned from his bobby knuckle fight to not force the takedowns and gas out.

I don't think even had Luke trained with Cain and DC and focused 100% of his training camp on taking Ronero down that he would have been able to get Yoel down and keep him there long enough to do much with it..I would have much rather seen Luke try this strategy though over what he actually did...
2/11/18 5:35 PM
5/10/03
ons ear -
HoldMeCloser - 

rockhold would have destroyed yoel in a ground war, unfortnately for him he left his camp of strong wrestlers to go train striking with mr hooft and no disrespect to anyone but that was why luke lost this fight. he got this false sense of security with his hooft striking  and thought he could pick yoel apart which would have worked excellent if luke initiated the ground game to force yoel to use his explosive wrestling and gas himself out first..

yoel learned from his bobby knuckle fight to not force the takedowns and gas out.

I don't think even had Luke trained with Cain and DC and focused 100% of his training camp on taking Ronero down that he would have been able to get Yoel down and keep him there long enough to do much with it..I would have much rather seen Luke try this strategy though over what he actually did...

People seem to forget that Romero is an olympic wrestler who if you even take down gets up easier than pretty much anyone else in MMA. If it were as simple as, “Just take Yoel down and keep him there” i’m sure Rockhold and everyone else that has lost to Yoel would have gone that route.

2/11/18 5:44 PM
10/24/14
TheRealJoker -
ons ear -
HoldMeCloser - 

People seem to forget that Romero is an olympic wrestler who if you even take down gets up easier than pretty much anyone else in MMA. If it were as simple as, “Just take Yoel down and keep him there” i’m sure Rockhold and everyone else that has lost to Yoel would have gone that route.

Yeah Luke wanted no part of the ground with Yoel and we all know why 

2/11/18 5:55 PM
6/28/12
ThatsHowIRoll -

Head mooment!!

Beautiful, champ.

2/11/18 6:03 PM
11/9/17

You don't simply take Romero down and besides, Luke's wrestling is more defensive then scrambling for position more than it is a huge offewnsive tool!

2/11/18 6:50 PM
11/1/03

Just closing the distance against Romero to get a clinch puts you at an incredable risk. If you don't get Weidman'd or punched in the head a golf medal olympic wrestler probably throws you to the ground. Romero's scary good, Whittaker solved the puzzle with great boxing but Rockhold doesn't have that option.

2/11/18 6:54 PM
1/1/01
Didn't Jacare have no problems dominating position on the ground against Romero after the first round in their fight?
Edited: 2/11/18 8:04 PM
10/11/15
Liyon - Didn't Jacare have no problems dominating position on the ground against Romero after the first round in their fight?

u mean one of the greatest jiujitsu grapplers of all time? i'd have to rewatch the fight i dont think he dominated position against yoel but he did keep him on the ground longer then anyone else. there is also not a person in the ufc that is on jacare's level on the ground.

did yoel grab the fence when jacare was taking him down and then reversed the take down and ended up on top and the ref took away his position and stood them up? or was it the other way around? im trying to remember how the grappling went down, gonna have to go back and watch again.

2/11/18 8:01 PM
10/11/15

also it was a bad matchup for luke. to gas him out he would have had to clinch with him and he obviously did not wanna get close to yoel and risk the power he could generate with dirt boxing and whatever else freakish shit he does. 

and another one of his strengths is top position but yoel is prolly one of the hardest fighters to hold down. he doesnt mind getting taken down because he knows he can just get right back up.

so lukes plan of picking him apart from the outside is all he had and his lack of boxing skills made that plan a failure.

2/12/18 12:11 AM
1/15/07

Yoel's uppercut reminded me of Renzo's finishing punch against Oleg back in the day.

2/12/18 12:13 AM
1/15/07

Whoops wrong thread.

2/12/18 7:33 AM
4/28/06
Lol taking Yoel down... funny muthafucka
2/12/18 8:22 AM
3/27/11
JOESONDO -

This.

2/12/18 8:53 AM
1/16/05
This is what he should've done. Seriously. Someone embed this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXS2tNfDZaI
2/12/18 9:27 AM
1/1/01
Liyon - Didn't Jacare have no problems dominating position on the ground against Romero after the first round in their fight?

He’s fucking Jacare

2/12/18 2:02 PM
10/9/10
HoldMeCloser -

I don’t think it was a bad choice, but Luke is a good striker. BUT he relies heavily on his kicks to set everything up and that’s where he’s most dangerous. His problem comes in the form of basic hand defense in boxing range. To be fair, it looked like he was throwing a right when he got dropped, but either way his defense was abysmal. 

I also feel like this makes Whitaker’s win more impressive, he threw a lot of those kicks that stifled Romero’s movement and that’s what you need to stop his movement. I didn’t see any of those blitzes when he fought Bobby Knuckles. That’s because he kept him at range. Romero was in really close with Luke and fuck he was fast.