UFC site coordinator Burt Watson: “I like it when it’s wacky, baby. It’s what we do.”
Views: 302 - Comments: 0
By Derek Bolender
If you’ve ever attended a live UFC event or other pre-fight activities, you may recognize the man – but may not know his name.
He’s most visible at the official weigh-ins. He’s the first man on stage revving up the crowd before UFC commentator Joe Rogan grabs the microphone to introduce the UFC management, octagon girls, and shortly thereafter, the fighters.
He’s Burt Watson – UFC site coordinator, part-time hype man, part-time counselor, part-time disciplinarian, jack of all trades. Despite a laundry list of responsibilities, his main focus centers on monitoring the weight of fighters throughout any given fight week to ensure they are able to compete.
“Making weight is a part of what we do,” Watson recently told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “It’s what these guys know they need to do. It’s disrespectful if they don’t. It shows me they’re not trying.
“We’re going to do what we need to do for them to get in that octagon because there’s a lot of ass kicking in that octagon. At the same time, we’re setting standards they need to go by to be the professional that they are when they make it to this level in the game.”
For a Saturday night event, fighters typically arrive in town on a Monday or Tuesday. This is when Watson, who first joined the company in 2001 at UFC 31, and his team spring into action.
Filed under: UFC Tagged: anderson silva, dana white, joe rogan, List of UFC events, Ultimate Fighting Championship, video games, vitor belfort, Yushin Okami
This blog posted by,
More Blogs From EvilMaster
- 02/12 - Quinton “Rampage” Jackson calls for fight with Stephan Bonnar at UFC 130
- 02/12 - Canadian UFC fighters ready for home-turf bouts
- 02/13 - Vadim and Coker not convinced Fedor is done
- 02/13 - Andrei Arlovski gets KO’d by Sergei Kharitonov in Strikeforce Heavyweight GP
- 02/13 - Fabricio Werdum ready for Overeem’s size, striking
- 02/13 - Kenny Florian confident about making cut to UFC 145 division
- 02/13 - Scott Coker: “A committee will determine the tournament replacements.”
- 02/14 - Gilbert Melendez: “I Really Truly Believe I’m the No. 1 Fighter in the World”
- 02/14 - Bigfoot’s Manager Alex Davis: “It will be hard to beat Bigfoot now”
- 02/14 - Fedor’s manager: “I don’t consider it a loss”
- 02/14 - Fitch has picked the wrong guy to mess with – Penn
- 02/14 - Dana White: Is The UFC President A Better Version Of Vince McMahon?
- 02/14 - Scott Jorgensen Faces Ken Stone At TUF 13 Finale
- 02/14 - Gabe Ruediger Released by the UFC, Contemplating Move to 145lbs
- 02/14 - UFC site coordinator Burt Watson: “I like it when it’s wacky, baby. It’s what we do.”
- 02/15 - Reuben Duran Steps Up To Face Takeya Mizugaki At UFC On Versus 3
- 02/15 - Lyoto: “The UFC won’t feel sorry for me. I’ll give my best to win”
- 02/15 - Wolfslair boss confirms Rampage-Hamill, says Hamill “running his mouth”
- 02/15 - Rashad Evans on Fedor’s loss: “He was all upset because his priest didn’t come in.”
- 02/15 - Pat “HD” Barry Responds To Joey Beltran’s Claim Of Victory And The Personal Significance Of Fighting