A number of MMA news sites are reporting that Brazilian Bantamweight Bibiano Fernandes suffered an undisclosed injury and will not make his promotional debut July 21 in Calgary, Alberta, at UFC 149 against Roland Delorme, as previously announced.
However, Fernandes says he never signed a UFC contract to begin with.
Further, Ariel Helwani is reporting that he is instead looking at ONE FC.
Update on Bibiano: He says he never signed a UFC contract. I can confirm he was offered a better contract by ONE FC
Read entire Twitter...
Fernandes speaks, via Facebook.
“I would like to make perfectly clear the news concerning my involvement with the UFC," said Fernandez. "It was announced that I, Bibiano Fernandes have been contracted to fight for the organization at UFC 149 which will take place in the city of Calgary on the 21st of July. I would like to make it clear that I am not a UFC athlete as I did not sign any contract with the UFC organization."
“Negotiations between the UFC and myself did take place, however, we could not resolve the issues on the table and as a result we did not come to an agreement. The recent reports that have been circulating in the media are false, contrary to what is being said, I am not a UFC athlete.
“I am a family man before anything else and my profession as an athlete in this sport provides me with the ability and the necessary means to provide for my family. I did not find the terms set before me by the UFC beneficial to my family and as a result an agreement could not be reached and no contract was signed.
“It should be noted that the UFC is the largest MMA organization in the world however, my personal and professional obligations have brought me to the decision that I will not be a part of the UFC organization at this point in time. The day that an agreement is reached and the terms set forth are beneficial to both parties involved, I will have the most pleasure and satisfaction to fight for the organization while always representing my beloved country.
“In conclusion, I would like it to be known that I am still the Bantamweight Champion for the DREAM organization. Last but not least, I would like to thank God and all my fans and hope they understand my decision.”
Read entire Facebook...
Bill Mahood, Fernandes' representative with the BCMMAA management firm, on told MMAjunkie.com he could not comment beyond Fernandes' Facebook statement. He said he had not spoken to the fighter since before the statement was posted.
Related MMA gear from the UG Store