Former DREAM and Strikeforce champion Gegard "Dream Catcher" Mousasi has called out Vitor Belfort several times lately, but in a recent interview the Brazilian said Mousasi hadn't earned the right to fight him.
"If you want to fight Vitor Belfort, you have to earn it," said Vitor Belfort. "It's just like if you want to play someone in the quarter or semi finals - you cannot just because you won something a long time ago. No, you have to earn your spot."
"I want to fight for the belt - that's my goal. That's the goal of a fighter, that's the goal of an athlete in the UFC. That's the goal of Vitor Belfort -- I'm a winner, I'm a champion. That's what I want, that's what I'm fighting for."
Now Mousasi has responded.
Mousasi and his management claim they were offered that very fight in August, but couldn't accept it because of the ACL surgery the former Strikeforce champion had to undergo.
Mousasi will be ready to return in December and wants that chance to fight Belfort again.
According to Mousasi and his management, Belfort is a 'hypocrite' because they believe he was granted two title shots they contend he didn't earn. As Helwani also reported, Mousasi and his team can't understand why their request can't be met if Alexander Gustafsson is being granted a title shot after he was forced out of a bout due to injury.
Last, but certainly not least, Mousasi claims Affliction offered him a fight in 2008 opposite Belfort at a catchweight, but Belfort declined it citing his lack of inclination to compete at a catchweight. Mousasi told Helwani he can't understand how Belfort can decline that bout and yet accept a catchweight bout in his return to the UFC.
Read entire article...
"I don't like it how people are using Twitter trying [to get opponents]," Belfort had said previously. However, "The Phenom" is now joining them, taking to Twitter to ask UFC president Dana White for the winner the UFC 162 headliner Saturday between Anderson Silva and Chris Weidman bout.
Related MMA gear from the UG Store