Rousimar Palhares was released by the UFC last year, following his failure to release a Heel Hook on Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29. Pierce suffer an MCL strain that fortunately did not require surgery. It was not the first time Palhares had held a dangerous submission well after his opponent tapPED. In addition, Palhares failed a PED test at TUF: The Smashes Final in 2012.
The Brazilian signed with World Series of Fighting, who put him into a title bout vs. WSOF welterweight champion Steve Carl at WSOF 9, on March 29, 2014, at the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Las Vegas, Nevada.
However, just weeks before the fight, Palhares was directed by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) to leave his native Brazil and pee in a cup in Nevada.
Palhares took the test on Monday.
According to NSAC chairman Francisco Aguilar, the test was ordered several days prior to Palhares' arrival in Las Vegas, however the timetable stalled because of the remote location of Palhares' residence and the need to find last-second travel arrangements.
"To be honest with you, I support the testing 100 percent. I think all fighters should be tested. But please give me a heads up or a notice, especially when you know the fighter is in Brazil. Or at least recommend somebody in Brazil for me to go to," said WSOF Executive Vice President Ali Abdel-Aziz on Tuesday.
"Rousimar was kind enough to get on the plane and to bring his camp and finish his camp here, and I know this is going to be difficult and stressful for him too."
According to Abdel-Aziz, the promotion expects to know of the results on March 28, 2014, the day before WSOF 9 is scheduled to take place in Las Vegas, Nev.
Abdel Aziz says that while he expects Palhares' results to come back without any issue, WSOF has already taken steps to ensure a contingency plan is in place in the event of a worst-case scenario.
"I almost 100 percent sure he's going to come clean," Abdel Aziz said.
"I have a back-up for Steve Carl. Steve Carl will fight regardless."
Read entire article...