Finnish Fighter Toni Valtonen has swastika, white power tattoos

by Michael David Smith | source: fanhouse

MMA Fighter Toni Valtonen Has Swastika, 'White Power' Tattoos

Toni Valtonen is a Finnish mixed martial artist who fights all around the world for Team Finland in the M-1 Challenge, including two fights in the United States this year. A veteran with a 19-9 record, Valtonen hasn't done much in the ring to distinguish himself from any of the thousands of other athletes who compete in MMA.

But he is now attracting attention for something unrelated to his fighting: Valtonen has a swastika tattooed on his shoulder and the words "white pride" tattooed on his back.

Valtonen's tattoos are not exactly a secret -- there are plenty of photographs in which they're readily apparent (see here and here for examples) -- but they've been largely ignored by MMA fans and the media, in large part because M-1 has required him to wear a patch over them while he fights.

But the patch over his swastika tattoo came off during a fight that was televised in the United States on HDNet, and the network later acknowledged on its Inside MMA show that it received a complaint from a viewer about it. HDNet Fights CEO Andrew Simon declined to discuss the matter further, saying via e-mail, "We did a segment on Inside MMA this week. Enough said."

read full article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

tags: Toni Valtonen

nofatchicks site profile image

9/4/09 8:44 PM by nofatchicks

Certainly. Theres also freedom to call such people that freedomly tat their body with Nazi tats as dumbass racist loser fucktards. Your free speach does not protect you from my free speach.

Blazing Knees site profile image

9/4/09 8:17 PM by Blazing Knees

It's a free country right? Free speech, freedom of the press, freedom from taxation without representation and freedom to tat your body as you see fit.Right?

Zeke Dynasty site profile image

9/4/09 6:25 PM by Zeke Dynasty

anyone seen inglorious basterds yet?

pato1 site profile image

9/4/09 4:25 AM by pato1

aah... actually now that I think about it, I would settle for seeing his next opponent hammerfist the bastard into next week. Nazi Scum.

Zeke Dynasty site profile image

9/3/09 8:54 PM by Zeke Dynasty

i think he should be forced to get a "My Little Pony" tattooed on his other arm to try to even things out so the crybabys can have something nice to focus on.

Fraser site profile image

9/3/09 7:39 PM by Fraser

Who has said he should be forced to cover his tattoos? Somehow people keep reading "he should cover those tattoos if he really doesn't hold those beliefs" as "WE MUST MAKE LAWS: NO RACISM ALLOWED!!!" I completely agree. Everyone should be allowed to express any idea that doesn't significantly and directly harm anyone else (e.g. yelling "fire" in a crowded theater, etc.).  I have yet to see anyone on this thread say this guy should be forced to do anything.

ultimoplata site profile image

9/3/09 7:33 PM by ultimoplata

..."you blame me,for slavery 100 years before my time"to bad Ian McKay is ashamed of his past.I heard this guy got those tats a long time ago and now regrets it.If that's the case story over.Its funny though how the UFC is trying to use Bisping to rile up the Brits and use British pride as a sales tool.

jaseprobst site profile image

9/3/09 7:19 PM by jaseprobst

Calling one doesn't...making them cover a tattoo does.Where's the ACLU when you need them? Back when the Nazis marched in Skokie, i believe the ACLU defended them, as did Alan Dershowitz. Free speech is free speech, and until action is taken, it remains that. The free speech advocates in this country used to have a much purer interpretation of what constituted it. That's why birthers, truthers, Nazis, whomever should be able to express their ideas. Because of the larger macro-concept of the forces of "polite" society coming for them first, and then, eventually, you.

Fraser site profile image

9/3/09 2:42 PM by Fraser

I don't see how calling someone a racist silences anyone... I mean, look at this 400-post thread. Maybe that's myth perpetrated by racists whose feelings get hurt when they are called on it?

jaseprobst site profile image

9/3/09 1:55 PM by jaseprobst

I'm not done cleaning it, Sanders! Besides, deer season is upon us, and I have a magnificent (almost mythical) eight-point I've been tracking up in the foothills. Should a bit of pluck and luck pay off, he will yield me a respectable Boone & Crockett score at best -- at worst, a freezer full of venison.I'm looking at it from the larger perspective. What's deemed "racist" today may be patently offensive to all and we could generally agree on it (except for the crackpots) but as that line shifts, it almost always devolves into an agenda for silencing political opponents. Doesn't matter if it's right or left-wing.Like the "Fairness Doctrine" or the "Healthy Forests Act." Just have a legislator slap a nice-sounding name on it.What Nietszche said about fighting monsters while becoming one. That's all I'm saying.Besides, it's probably better to let these people wear their tats and let people know they exist then try and silence them -- that just adds to their sense of oppression and feeds their views.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!