Nover's tears of joy: UFC pays show and win money

by Phillipe Nover | source: phillipenover.com

I returned from the ER to the Cox Convention center to sit and watch the fights as a spectator about midway through the event. I sat there alone and watched and I had so many thoughts running through my mind. Why are you doing this? Look at what just happened. You lost your last two. Now you possibly had a god damn fucking seizure. Maybe you're over doing it. Maybe you should just stick to nursing. I had a lot of negative thoughts about fighting while sitting there. Putting my mother and father through all sorts of stress, getting a bad call from Yves Levine, losing the finale, old injures, quitting my job, and the list kept growing, Then I paused for a second and looked up at one of giant screens they had set up in the convention center and watched this video. Its a highlight reel of various fighters with the song Teenage Wasteland playing by Baba O'Reilly.

Here is the song played at UFC 88. They play it at most of the UFC events.

After watching that, goose bumps grew all over my arms. I saw a compilation of fight clips and different fighters do there thing. I saw it. I saw the glory. I saw Forest Griffin run across the cage smiling after he choked Shogun. I saw Anderson Silva raise his arms sitting on the top of the fence. I saw what it feels like to win. That's why I need this. I need the feeling of winning back in my heart. I need and I want it. Nothing beats that feeling and I'm going to get it. All those negative thoughts of fighting disappeared and I was back! I felt it in my blood and in my gut. This is what I must do, I want to be a fighter, I want to feel victory. I don't care what the costs are. I will try again. Fall seven time only to rise an eighth!

I continued to watch the rest of the fights. I saw Tim Credeur and Nate Quarry battle with every bit of energy they had. They left it in all the cage. I saw Jake Ellenberger and Carlos Condit back and forth battle. I saw these two warriors willing to put everything on the line for that glory. For the win. Fighting inch by inch! The blood dripping from each others faces and the sound of leather gloves smacking the body. I thought to myself. What a spectacular event. What a sport! I need this! I love this!

I must be smart about this. I'm on this medical mission to see whats wrong with me, What went wrong that night? The major question I have for myself is. What can I do to prevent that from ever happening again? That's what I have to figure out in the next few days. Then I'll be back 100% just like that beast you saw on the show.

In this blog I'd like to thank a lot of people. Dana White and Joe Silva are at the top of my list for being so generous and providing me with the show money and win money. They didn't need to provide me with a single penny.. When I found this out I literally broke down in tears of joy. Every up and coming full time professional fighter knows that each check counts! When I approach Dana to thank him his exact words were “We only care about your health. Get better and so we can get you back in that cage!” When I approach Joe to thank him later that evening. He said “Don't you worry Phillipe. We take care of our guys. It wasn't your fault.” My hat goes off to the UFC. Thanks for taking care of me.

read full blog...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: Phillipe Nover (detail)  UFC   video

JustSaying site profile image

11/12/11 6:02 PM by JustSaying

ttt for Phil! Can't wait to see him rip his way through the Bellator fighters.  Hoping he'll back it back to the UFC soon! He's a awesome fighter and absolutely a great coach!

Sagiv Lapkin site profile image

9/18/09 10:13 PM by Sagiv Lapkin

Dana is the man.

Mmanizzle site profile image

9/18/09 6:39 PM by Mmanizzle

Get healthy Phillipe! See you back in the cage soon!

Mmanizzle site profile image

9/18/09 6:37 PM by Mmanizzle

Phillipe, get back in the ring bro... God Speed and a healthy recovery... We'll be looking for you!

PJ Benn Fan site profile image

9/18/09 5:07 PM by PJ Benn Fan

Yes I am retarted for thinking that having a double standard is wrong. Good argument there bud. A) NO ONE tunes in to watch Stephan Bonnar.  B) He will never ever ever never be a champion. And I didnt contradict myself as you failed to quote the parts where I said: "I could see if a guy is universally ranked in the top 10 in the world and he loses 2 fights straight like Forrest, one of which was a title fight. Yeah it doesnt make sense because a) he was a VERY recent champion, and b) he MAY get to that level again. IMO yeah that shoudl get you a pass" I was stating the reason that I understad still keeping Forrest dumbass! Now I dont wantthis to be a pick on Stephan Bonnar. But IMO hes actually right about on the level of a Jason MacDonald who was cut. I would respect them much mor eif they just came out and said, yeah the 2 fight losing skid applies to everyone not named.......!

Forrest fan site profile image

9/18/09 5:07 PM by Forrest fan

Nice to get a pay day, but why would you get the win bonus too?

edubbs site profile image

9/18/09 4:48 PM by edubbs

He had a seizure in the locker room before his fight on Wednesday and had to pull out literally last minute... enter the OP...

JoeVIP  site profile image

9/18/09 4:42 PM by JoeVIP

I must be out of touch I have no idea what this is all about. Someone please tell me. I hate surfing the net for info.

DannyOcean site profile image

9/18/09 4:34 PM by DannyOcean

No it doesn't and you are RETARDED if you think it does. I shouldn't even have to explain why Bonnar's two fight losing streak is not the same as some guy who was a quarter-finalist on TUF and is 1-2 in the UFC. In fact, you contradict yourself by giving the Forrest example in the next sentence. The UFC keeps fighters that will A: Make them money B: Possibly be champions

PJ Benn Fan site profile image

9/18/09 4:28 PM by PJ Benn Fan

I am fully aware of the differences.  I am just saying 2 fight losing streaks and your out either goes for everyone or no one. I could see if a guy is universally ranked in the top 10 in the world and he loses 2 fights straight like Forrest, one of which was a title fight. Yeah it doesnt make sense because a) he was a VERY recent champion, and b) he MAY get to that level again. IMO yeah that shoudl get you a pass.  But Bonnar is nothing. Maybe the exampple I should have used was Jason MacDonald over Prof. X. Some good wins in the UFC, yet hes out fighting in Calgary or something next month IIRC.