TUF 10 Episode 11/12 recap

by John Morgan | source: mmajunkie.com

As episode No. 11 of "The Ultimate Fighter 10: Heavyweights" opens, UFC president Dana White is looking for a potential replacement for a head-rattled Matt Mitrione. Speaking to the full crew of fighters, White says "someone" will possibly get a second chance. But with nobody clamoring to step in, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson is the obvious first choice.

Only one problem: Slice doesn't want the fight.

Slice's ailing knee, which has been diagnosed as arthritic, precludes him from stepping up.

"My thing is fighting on my toes," Slice tells White. "I haven't been on my toes. I can't fight on my toes. I'll get into there, and I feel like I won't perform like I want to perform."

Slice isn't 100 percent, and he's honest about his concerns.

"I don't want another loss on my record, to be honest with you," Slice says.

White says treatments have been made available to Slice, including a Cortisone shot or injecting gel into the joint. Surprisingly, despite waiting all season for a chance to return to the tournament, Slice turns down the chance.

White admits he's shocked.

"I never expected him to turn down a fight in here," White says. "I never expected that to happen."

QUARTERFINAL RESULTS

* James McSweeney def. Matt Mitrione via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 1, 3:38
    * Marcus Jones def. Darrill Schoonover via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 2:32

Evans apologizes for underrating Jones after the impressive performance. Meanwhile, the loss is Schoonover's first-ever, and he doesn't take it well.

With the quarterfinals complete, White is prepared to set the semifinal matchups.

With everyone gathered in the gym, White announces that the first semifinal will see Roy Nelson fight McSweeney, leaving Jones to face MMAjunkie.com blogger Brendan Schaub.

SEMI-FINAL RESULTS

* Roy Nelson def. James McSweeney def. Matt Mitrione via TKO (punches) - Round 1, 4:11
    * Brendan Schaub def. Marcus Jones via knockout (punches) - Round 1, 2:11

White admits he's blown away by the performance. Schaub says he's been in the position before, "but never with a guy that big and scary."

Evans admits even he hated to see Jones lose, and Jackson says he nearly came to tears.

A devastated Jones says he refuses to put his family through the difficulty of fighting and that he's done with MMA. Thankfully, the retirement is brief, and we learn that the good-natured, massive Jones will fight on the finale against rival Matt Mitrione. We're also all shocked to learn that Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson will fight on the finale as well. Who would have thunk it?

White wraps up the season by calling it a success, even as "a guy with probably the worst physique in sports" made it to the finals. Schaub doesn't look that bad, does he?

read full article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

Fear the Fighter Roy Nelson UFC 166 Walkout Shirt

MetaDevil site profile image

12/3/09 10:23 AM by MetaDevil

Prior to last night, I thought Mitrione was the biggest douche in the house, but now I think McSweeney is the bigger douche.All that fucking guy did was go on about how tough he was, bullied the weakest guy in the house (but didn't talk shit to anyone else in the house to their face), and wanted to be everyone's coach.After Marcus got KTFO, his coaches and EMTs were in the ring, and there's McSweeney getting right in there, "Give him room, give him room."I only wished Mazzagatti let Nelson whoop that ass a little more.

Domingo site profile image

12/3/09 10:20 AM by Domingo

I've been saying it for months - Schaub's the real deal. Yes, he's still green, but you'd be shocked at what some really good grapplers and fighters have said about him. I'm actually surprised he won all 3 fights as he is still new to the game, but he's just now tapping into his potential. He's getting better at takedown defense and scrambles. He's already really good at defending off his back (he barely took any damage on the mat in all 3 fights) and he's a wizard with the d'arce and anaconda chokes. Give him time and he'll be a contender. Even if he loses to Nelson, he's only been training for about 2 years and a lot of that was passive.

MuchRespec' site profile image

12/3/09 9:40 AM by MuchRespec'

Wren > McSweeney. They should match them up, Wren would smoke McSweeney imo.I was telling my wife last night that I hope Roy's obvious exploitation of the rules leads to rules reform. It's funny though to me because when Tito was essentially exploiting the rules (and cage) to reel off an impressive string of LnP victories over MWs his bandwagon couldn't have been more overloaded. I also think it's funny that a guy who's hella fat is excelling, I like it because it makes the romos (and Dana) pissy.

Ronin 7 site profile image

12/3/09 8:36 AM by Ronin 7

This season was a major let down. I was expecting Slice to fight, or something happen in the house...a guy gets locked in the bathroom and then proceeds to get kicked in the nuts and chocked. Man, if next season is a repeat of this one...I'll be watching C-Span with a vengance. Hopefully next season will be a step up in talent.

blue63 site profile image

12/3/09 8:33 AM by blue63

Agreed.. maybe Nate Marquardt and Shane Carwin weren't so crazy after all when they said Schaub would one day be a HW Champ a year or so ago.,. he has all the tools and really hasn't been training that long.

AKIRA SHOJI FAN site profile image

12/3/09 7:57 AM by AKIRA SHOJI FAN

Marcus The Darkness has a great future ahead of him in MMA. The guy is a beast... "What? the guy has a glass jaw, nothing can fix that. He is a beast physically, but mentally is unstable as hell, we saw that last night. I'd hate to see his kids compete in sports he might run across the gym and kill someone. I bet this fight coming up is his last ever unless Matt quits like the did last night and Darkness wins. He obviously didnt want to be in the ring, loser of this fight will quit fighting I imagine. Winner will probably fight one more time and quit after their next loss.

brownchickenbrowncow site profile image

12/3/09 3:26 AM by brownchickenbrowncow

The punches tonight were landing a lot harder than the ones against Kimbo.

Mmanizzle site profile image

12/3/09 2:51 AM by Mmanizzle

Good point Bailx, Big Country Nelson utilizes the rules well by giving short unanswered rabbit punches... smart but boring indeed....

Juijitsuboxer site profile image

12/3/09 2:43 AM by Juijitsuboxer

DCortez site profile image

12/3/09 2:27 AM by DCortez

I thought if u get in a fight outside the cage ur done