Wilson Gouveia discusses his release from the UFC

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie.com

Although the UFC released him in December, Wilson Gouveia (12-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) is moving back up to light heavyweight, and he plans to work his way back to the octagon.

Gouveia failed to make weight for a middleweight fight with Alan Belcher at UFC 107 – the second time he had done so in a three-year, 10-fight stint with the promotion – and he recently told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) he is done trying to cut the extra pounds.

"I was very upset, but I realized that I've got to go back to 205 pounds because I'm not going to kill myself," Gouveia said.

Gouveia admitted he was shaken after passing out in the sauna while trying to make weight for the fight with Belcher.

"I've got three kids, and my health and my life comes first," Gouveia said. "I'm not going to risk everything for a paycheck."

The fight was eventually re-drawn as a catchweight contest of 189 pounds. Belcher battered Gouveia with strikes and earned a TKO victory in the bout's first frame.

The American Top Team fighter on Wednesday signed a new fight contract with Maximum Fighting Championship and will face Canadian veteran Ryan Jimmo on April 9.

Gouveia said he holds no grudge against the UFC over his release and that the door was open for a future return.

"We have a great relationship; I love them, and they love me," Gouveia said. "They said the only reason they really cut me was because of the weight, and they wanted me to find out what weight class I'm going to be fighting and fight a couple times and go back in.

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: Wilson Gouveia (detail)  UFC

mayhem13 site profile image

1/14/10 2:11 PM by mayhem13

Pretty sure Wilson runs a ATT branch, and doesn't train at the main academy. Maybehe is doing to much teaching, and needs to take time away from that during fight prep.Could be mistaken and its possible he does go to Coconut Creek leading up to fights, just a though..either way he's one of my faves to watch..he will be back in!

AlliancePA site profile image

1/14/10 2:00 PM by AlliancePA

Wilson is a good fighter. There are a lot of good fights for him in the UFC.

Heartbroken Lee site profile image

1/14/10 1:45 PM by Heartbroken Lee

Overhyped. Too flakey to make it to the title contention.

Dana Stern site profile image

1/14/10 1:44 PM by Dana Stern

He was always an exciting fighter, and you always knew his fights were not going to a decision. Can't wait for him and Rich Clementi to be back.

mcpeepants232003 site profile image

1/14/10 1:44 PM by mcpeepants232003

lol I would think so. It seems like they have the best of the best coaching all aspects of the game. I'm sure they have a top notch s&c coach.

Kimbos Beard site profile image

1/14/10 1:40 PM by Kimbos Beard

Sunny attitude.

Tomato Can site profile image

1/14/10 1:33 PM by Tomato Can

Somehow I'm guessing ATT has a S&C coach.

canuck34 site profile image

1/14/10 1:32 PM by canuck34

I really hope he gets a S&C coach. Against Belcher he made it look like Belcher didn't belong in the same cage as him for about the first 2/3rds of the fight, then he just lost it.

EvilEye site profile image

1/14/10 1:31 PM by EvilEye

needs that killer instinct

ajl416az site profile image

1/14/10 1:19 PM by ajl416az

dude has a ton of talent.  great BJJ and huge KO power. he just needs to put some serious focus on strength and conditioning work dropping didn't help him at all, didn't improve his cardio or make him stronger or faster.  just changed the competition from big strong dudes, to smaller faster dudes. he already gassed a few times and coasted at 205, and gas is why Marquardt was able to get him late.