David Terrell considering a comeback

by Dann Stupp | source: mmajunkie.com

After a 14-month layoff, Brazilian jiu-jitsu ace and once-fast-rising middleweight David terrell again suffered an injury and was forced out of a November 2007 UFC 78 bout with Ed Herman. Now, it's been nearly four years since the 32-year-old "Soul Assassin" has stepped foot inside a cage.

But on today's edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio, Terrell said he's considering a comeback. He also detailed the gruesome (yet little-known) ailment that led to the quick descent of one of the sport's most promising careers.

"I trained really hard for my fights, but I was getting these sinus infections and a lot of ear problems," said Terrell, a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt under Cesar Gracie who's now the NorCal Fighting Alliance head trainer. "It finally got to the point that these infections weren't going away, so I had to get a surgery on my ear where they kind of carved out the infection. It was just a pain in the butt. They stapled the ear back on after they pealed it off. They like filleted the back of the ear.

"I thought then I was good, but I kept having to drain puss and nasty stuff (from the ear), so [the doctor] put me on every antibiotic you can imagine for about a year. I finally said, 'This isn't right.' So I got a second opinion and another MRI, and the guy said there was still a pretty bad infection in my head."

Terrell had a second surgery about a year ago. He was told he was good to go, but soon, the leaking started up again. He just couldn't shake the ailment.

After getting a referral, though, Terrell finally hooked up with a doctor at the University of California-San Francisco who really tackled the problem.

"The guy's been doing a good job fixing it," Terrell said. "He's actually been cauterizing it. He puts this powder in my ear that burns. He explained it the first time. He said, 'This is going to feel like an icepick.'"

Terrell still gets cauterization procedures once a month, and the process should be finalized by the spring. In the meantime, he's been back to training and helping his students – such as Nate Loughran, Emily Thompson, Kyle Pimentel and Bellator champ Joe Soto – get ready for their fights.

However, Terrell said he definitely wants to get one of his own.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

tags: David terrell (detail)

BzGrappla site profile image

2/12/10 1:23 AM by BzGrappla

I could tell you. but you should listen to the interview

HardyJenns site profile image

2/12/10 1:00 AM by HardyJenns

can someone summarize what he said? No patience to listen to the interview

MMAPlanet site profile image

2/12/10 12:22 AM by MMAPlanet

If David comes back, does he have any contractual obligations to the UFC still?

MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ site profile image

2/11/10 11:28 PM by MIKE CIESNOLEVICZ

Terell has always been one of my favorites and i told him i was a big fan at the UFC where he beat Scott Smith even though it was controversial. That flying footlock on Almedia was sick in ADCC!

Kurt site profile image

2/11/10 11:15 PM by Kurt

Since 2003 (granted, a long while) Chael has been subbed by: Forrest Griffin by tri, Jeremy Horn x2 (guillotine and arm bar), Babalu by tri, Filho by arm bar, Maia by tri.of them, only Maia is a better grappler then Terrell. And since Team Quest is notorious for not bringing in experts to help prepare for a fight, I think Terrell could easily sub Sonnen from bottom. Easily. Sonnen doesn't bring punches with force from top, so the threat of being KO'd while on the bottom isn't there.Sonnen hasn't stopped a fighter since 2007.yuh, Terrell from bottom is a VERY plausible scenario.

gorgesjorj site profile image

2/11/10 7:03 PM by gorgesjorj

part 1 is luke rockhold, a strikeforce middleweight who is fighting 2/26/10 against paul bradley.gg

Humboldt JuiJitsu site profile image

2/11/10 6:48 PM by Humboldt JuiJitsu

Fine don't take my word for it (thanks Joe - good to see you around these parts).

JoeHurley site profile image

2/11/10 5:52 PM by JoeHurley

Dave Terrell is a beast and just because you have not seen him fight from his back in mma, don't be fooled into believing he can't do it.  His ground game is complete, take my word for it.

guitar0 site profile image

2/11/10 5:44 PM by guitar0

dave is a great grappler. as a fighter, not so much.

Humboldt JuiJitsu site profile image

2/11/10 5:36 PM by Humboldt JuiJitsu

I am no Chael Sonnen (which is an understatement to say the least), but I know from personal experience how good Dave is off his back.  My elbow hurts just thinking about it.  Dave is strong as f*ck, and damn slick off his back.  Chael Sonnen is very talented, no doubt - I understand why you want to make the Tanner comparison, but do not be deluded.  Dave made a big mistake in the Tanner fight, one that I doubt he would duplicate.  This is all speculation of course, as I have never even met Chael, and have no more knowledge about his ability than your average MMA enthusiast. "top game and bottom game are worlds apart for many people...."  They are worlds apart for everyone man, but that does not mean that you can not be damn proficient at both.  Many men are, and DT is one of them.