Elvis: Had 40-50% use of right arm

source: prommanow.com

prommanow: Hi Elvis. You were all set to face Chris Haseman at UFC 110 in Sydney, Australia this past weekend. Apparently you were injured. Can you tell us exactly what happened, how it happened, and why you had to pull out?

Elvis Sinosic: I injured my shoulder severely on the weekend during my last sparring session. It was an aggravated injury. As with most fighters you get injuries. During the course of my training camp I received numerous injuries, my shoulder just being one of them. At the time it seemed like the least of my worries among them. In my last sparring session it just escalated to the point that it was too much. I just was not able to use my right shoulder/arm to it’s full ability. After this I went to see my doctor, got scans done, went and saw a specialist. Once I learnt of the extent of the damage I informed the UFC. They arranged their own doctor to look at it, organised for a cortisone shot. The cortisone shot did not help at all sadly. Even their doctor told me that he did not expect the short to help. But it was worth trying.

It turns out that I have a couple of underlying problems with my shoulder. Basically I have tendinitis, bone spurs which have lead to chronic Osteoathritis and on top of that Adhesive Capsulitis, known as “frozen shoulder”. There could also be further damage but I will need an MRI or key hole surgery to determine the full extent. I had a sore shoulder during my camp but never realized the extent of what was wrong. The six-week camp aggravated the injuries and it continued to escalate until the last week where it became unbearable. The specialist informed me that I had about 40-50% use of my right arm.

How serious is the injury, is it a recurring injury, and do you think you will need surgery?

It appears that is an injury that has been with me for a while that has continued to worsen and was severally aggravated by the training camp. The next step is to follow up with my surgeon and look into my surgery options. Apparently, at least from the first consultation, it was quite extensive. I was informed that key hole surgery will alleviate a lot of my problems but not give me one-hundred percent use of the shoulder. Key hole surgery will also help determine the extent of any further damage. I will most likely need a complete shoulder reconstruction, if not now, at least down the track.

Where do you go from here Elvis – are we going to have to wait until the UFC comes back to Australia to see you in the Octagon?

For me it’s back to the daily grind. The next step is to see my specialist and discuss my surgery. I also have some time off which I am looking forward to. This time I’ll get to travel a bit and not have to worry about making weight and pushing my body to its limits. I’m looking forward to lying back on a beach and soaking up some rays.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

Jaco Sugafly Athletics Team Hoodie

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

tags: Elvis Sinosic (detail)  UFC 110

OWNEDbythe209 site profile image

2/24/10 12:53 PM by OWNEDbythe209

umm. you realize they are just getting started in Australia.... so expect to see him fight again sometime soon... Hell.. they just signed Perosh (lol) to a 4 fight deal..

MMAINCA site profile image

2/24/10 12:50 PM by MMAINCA

Elvis get well soon!

Moderator site profile image

2/24/10 10:52 AM by Moderator

That sucked cause Elvis will never get another shot in the UFC

rubbermonkey site profile image

2/24/10 10:22 AM by rubbermonkey

i call bs...this pic disproves it..http://guittard.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/elvis-presley-biography-7.jpgblue namer pleased

thforklift site profile image

2/24/10 10:18 AM by thforklift

I really feel for Elvis because he was training for months, went to Thailand, posted videos of his progress, and seemed to be doing all the things necessary to be at his best. It's a shame. I hope he fights at least once or twice more before he calls it a day. This must especially hurt for him since it was the first UFC in Australia. Maybe if they actually do a TUF in Australia, he could be an assistant coach or something.

SKINLEYBOP site profile image

2/24/10 8:17 AM by SKINLEYBOP

"As with most fighters you get injuries"... never! All joking aside, I speak for all the old skool fans out there, Elvis is a legend in his own right, here's wishing him a speedy recovery.

OWNEDbythe209 site profile image

2/23/10 7:14 PM by OWNEDbythe209

parklife.. damn that's an amazing client listing...

parklife site profile image

2/23/10 7:09 PM by parklife

http://www.healthyshoulders.comSuccess StoriesMartial ArtsFrank Shamrock - 5x Undefeated UFC ChampionSteve Shead - Martial Arts Expert, Program ManagerBJ Penn - Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu World Champion, UFC #1 Lightweight ContenderRob Furlano - Pitcher, Program ManagerJD Penn - Fight Manager for BJ Penn, Family Business OwnerMike Leis - Martial ArtistMike H. - CHP Officer, 3rd degree Black BeltRay Vargus - Student, Recreational WeightlifterWeight LiftingSteve Shead - Martial Arts Expert, Program ManagerRob Furlano - Pitcher, Program ManagerMike H. - CHP Officer, 3rd degree Black BeltRay Vargus - Student, Recreational WeightlifterMilos Sarcev - Bodybuilder, former Mr. UniverseCurtis McGovert - Founder of The Muscle Factory, 1st Place winner of Light Heavyweight Mr. San Francisco & Mr. San Jose, 3rd Place Mr. CaliforniaMitch Klaus - Gold's Gym Trainer, Competitive BodyBuilderRandy Jackson - Probation Officer, Competitive Body BuilderJohn Guidero - Retired Communications SpecialistFrank Lisowski - President, DFLA California Inc.Joe Rao - Santa Clara County Sheriff (Retired)Rick Kingsbury - Recreational BodybuilderTennis, Racquetball, etc.Carol Darcy - A.V.A.C. Tennis Club playerMario Estevez - "Racquetball Master"Dale Gilbert - Tennis PlayerVictor Velton - Tennis PlayerThrowing, VolleyBall or other over head activitiesJeff Henning - Pitcher, Sonoma State UniversitySwimmingGina Kehr - Professional Ironman TriathleteMinor Trauma - Repetitive Strain injuryJohn Guidero - Retired Communications SpecialistKenny Loggins - Professional Songwriter and SingerCary Stover - MBA, Director of Materials, JDS UniphaseArt Echavaria -SkiingJohn Guidero - Retired Communications SpecialistRich Burton - Air Traffic Controller SJCGymnasticsMichael Jones - 2000 Gymnastics National ChampionWrestlingJD Penn - Fight Manager for BJ Penn, Family Business Owner

MountainMedic site profile image

2/23/10 6:53 PM by MountainMedic

the problem with joint injuries in atheletes that have been at it for a real long time, in my opinion/experiance, is that it is never just one problem. its like trying to rehab a really old house.... you try to something that should be pretty simple, but you discover something else in there once you open up the wall/floor/pipe, and it would be dumb not to fix that too, but in the process of getting after that you discover one more thing that since you are in there you should address............................ anyone that has ever been there, knows exactly what i am talking about. i have seen knee repairs, for example, destroy the formerly strong side because it is now the week side of the knee and can't keep up with what is goin on 3 inches away. often, rehab brings these types of things about. good luck elvis, old guys world wide are pulling for you............ when not napping or yelling at neighborhood kids-MM

AngryFoamy site profile image

2/23/10 6:46 PM by AngryFoamy

TTT for a speedy recovery. Long live The King!!!