Diaz slated to face Sakurai in Japan

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie.com

Fresh off a successful bid for the Strikeforce welterweight title, Nick Diaz (21-7 MMA, 1-0 Dream) is set to face Japanese veteran Hayato Sakurai (35-10-2 MMA, 3-1 DREAM) at DREAM. 15.

Graciefighter.com, the online home of trainer Cesar Gracie, first reported the non-title fight. MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) subsequently confirmed the matchup with a source close to the event who said Strikeforce officials have cleared the booking.

DREAM.15 is expected to take place May 30 at the Saitama Super Arena in Saitama, Japan. The event is expected to air in North America on HDNet.

Metal Mulisha Split Shirt

Metal Mulisha Split Shirt

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

Metal Mulisha Hidden Shirt

JonnyK site profile image

4/7/10 5:16 PM by JonnyK

This will be a really fun / good fight to watch, but i'd rather see nick fighting top 3 people right now.

El Zee site profile image

4/7/10 5:10 PM by El Zee

I would definitely think he'd be happy to fight almost anyone in Dream. He has said numerous times that he prefers their rules and the ring. Add that to the fact that Diaz just likes to fight and you get Diaz vs. Sakurai. I just thought he wasn't too hyped to specifically fight Sakurai (especially after his loss to Zaromskis...and his loss to Gono since that).He's getting paid to kick the shit out of someone, so he's probably happy regardless.

ajsr site profile image

4/7/10 5:03 PM by ajsr

I'm happy with any opportunity to see Nick Diaz in the ring. Hopefully Mach turns up to fight.

FCTV808 site profile image

4/7/10 4:50 PM by FCTV808

sauce/link right here fren

goeb site profile image

4/7/10 4:22 PM by goeb

i don't have much interest in the match, just cause you never know which Mach will show up. Sometimes he's motivated and in shape, other time he comes in as if he's forced too. The Aoki match was a motivated Mach, Zaromskis match he barely made weight and yea it was brutal.If he comes into the diaz fight to just collect a paycheck it will get real ugly.

Morgz site profile image

4/7/10 3:59 PM by Morgz

This matchup dissapoints me.  I really like watching both guys, but I think this is a heavy mismatch and easy win for Nick.  Mach hasn't looked all that great since getting KTFO'd by Zaromskis

sleepernoob site profile image

4/7/10 3:56 PM by sleepernoob

I wouldn't doubt it. The ferocity of those knees were sent from hell.

LayzieTheSavage site profile image

4/7/10 3:55 PM by LayzieTheSavage

Nick FTW

rtwil2007 site profile image

4/7/10 3:51 PM by rtwil2007

I saw Nick at UFC 111 and asked him about Mach. He said he would love to fight Mach but he honestly thought Mach was scared to sign. He said he used to say that to get under Mach's skin to try to get him to sign but by then the opportunity had been out there for so long and Mach wouldn't sign on that he really thought Mach was scared.I would guess from my short chat with Nick he is pretty excited about the fight.

FCTV808 site profile image