Ryan Thomas comments on his unfair stoppage

source: The Underground

From:  Ryan Thomas
Posted: 5 hours ago
Member Since: 6/17/07
Posts: 40

Go to the link below and watch the slow motion gif of my fight. I did not tap and I did not pass out. I clearly move my leg before the ref touches me and I raise my hands in protest to the stoppage before Askren even lets go of his so called "choke". Bellator prides itself by claiming that the "fighters control their own destiny". My destiny was controlled by a ref that didn't belong in the cage. I was simply staying calm and letting Askren tire his arms out until he had to transition to something else or so I could slip my head out. This choke was not in position to cut off the arteries to my brain on both sides of my neck. He only had one side blocked off. I did not hear the ref tell me to show him a sign because as you can see from the GIF, both of my ears were covered.  I was screwed out of my $10,000 win bonus for this fight, $15,000 to fight and $15,000 to win in the next round of the tournament and $20,000 to fight and $30,000 to win in the championship fight. Not to mention my title shot. Let Bellator know if you think I should be compensated for at least my win bonus for the Askren fight. Until then I plan on trying to keep my head up and preparing for my return to Bellator season 2 as an alternate or my Bellator season 3 tournament fight that Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney has promised me. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

RYU Signature Tee LE

RYU Signature Tee LE

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

tags: Ryan Thomas (detail)  Ben Askren   Bellator

Tim Wills site profile image

4/23/10 12:13 PM by Tim Wills

Definately looking forward to this one also. Thomas will end this one quickly with no referee interference.

JDuB4332 site profile image

4/23/10 11:16 AM by JDuB4332

Thomas vs. Askren on May 20th!!!!

cagepedia site profile image

4/23/10 12:38 AM by cagepedia

I watched the fight... it looks worse than it actually was. I cant see how Thomas could have been choked out there. It should've been ruled a NC. But I guess whats done is done.

MillhouseMMA site profile image

4/23/10 12:25 AM by MillhouseMMA

Hey congratz on the win, way to take full advantage of the 2nd chance. Good job bro.

Morgz site profile image

4/22/10 8:53 PM by Morgz

Great job going back out there getting it done Ryan.  I've become a fan -- your fight tonight with McClintock was awesome. Look forward to seeing a rematch with Ben so you two can get it decided for real this time.

Koga site profile image

4/19/10 9:46 PM by Koga

Congrats to Ryan Thomas, in one thread he has gone from losing a fight to winning it, winning the tournament, getting a title shot and Dana White wanting him in the UFC!

epwar site profile image

4/19/10 8:00 PM by epwar

Congrats on the replacement gig.Perhaps God is working some kind of revenge angle here with the volcano and stuff? Seriously, best of luck. Remember, if all else fails, start a brawl and 54% of the UG will be behind you.

AOmonsta site profile image

4/19/10 7:57 PM by AOmonsta

I said in another thread you should be first replacement in this tourney, congrats and good luck.

shanoknowsmma site profile image

4/19/10 5:08 PM by shanoknowsmma

See what i mean! ;)

Morgz site profile image

4/19/10 4:52 PM by Morgz

Big John, Herb Dean, Mario Yamasaki...they get thanked all the time.  They are fantastic refs though.  Not everyone can be that good, of course.  But if they aren't all going to be that good, there needs to be a bigger "gray area" or at least better officiating at very high levels like this. I won't say this ref sucks -- I don't know him and don't recall watching him call matches other than this one.  That said, I think he blew it on this call.  That's all.