Drwal won't judge Palhares for heel hook from hell

by Ariel Helwani | source: mmafighting.com

At UFC 111, Rousimar Palhares defeated Tomasz Drwal by heel hook early in the first round. Leg submissions are rare in the upper echelons of MMA, and this was Rousimar's second consecutive win, via the same hold. However, Palhares failed to stop when Drwal tapped repeatedly, forcing the referee to physically pry his hands off of his screaming oppoent. Fan condemnation was widespread,  and Palhares was suspended for 90 days by the New Jersey State Athletic Commission.

For the first time publicly, Drwal discusses the incident, with MMA Fighting.com

"S--- happens to everyone, and it's part of my job to deal with accidents. I'm not going to complain. This time around was good for him and bad for me."

"I felt a slow and weird crack in my ankle, so I tapped and screamed. I think when someone taps and screams it means that he's done, that he concedes the win to the other guy and that the guy should stop the hold without fearing any misunderstandings with the ref. But truthfully, I have no idea what went though his head. I will not judge him and simply leave it to the fans to make up their own mind."

"[My] knee and ankle does not need surgery and it was just a strong stretch. I do have fluids in my knee and my ankle creating some swelling but it's getting better everyday. I think I'll be able to come back to 100% and be able to train in two weeks time."

Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Super Body Care Travel Kit 1oz

Super Body Care Travel Kit 1oz

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

keepthechange site profile image

4/23/10 11:02 AM by keepthechange

this game of point counterpoint has grown retarded

KneeUppercut site profile image

4/23/10 1:32 AM by KneeUppercut

Probably because it doesn't make a difference who his instructor is or who promoted his instructor. He can hold any views he likes. You come off as a big bitch.

walr?s site profile image

4/23/10 12:59 AM by walr?s

No, he's more than welcome to say what he wants, but he should also expect people to ask him why he is criticizing the actions of someone, that are the same actions of the guy (Royce Gracie) who promoted his instructor.

Ponyboy site profile image

4/22/10 10:07 PM by Ponyboy

Holding a submission and cranking it further are two entirely different things.

KneeUppercut site profile image

4/22/10 8:41 PM by KneeUppercut

So because he trains under someone who trained under someone that held subs too long he should not be allowed to voice his displeasure about holding subs too long??? LMAO!!!! Classic. You're not really good at thinking are you?

jpm995 site profile image

4/22/10 8:08 PM by jpm995

I always thought in the official written rules, an opponent tapping ended the fight, just like his corner throwing in the towel? Can someone show me where i'm wrong?

walr?s site profile image

4/22/10 7:59 PM by walr?s

I told McLaughlin that Royce did the same shit as Palhares and no one cares, so why the fuck is he crying about it? That's the only thing ironic. A guy with direct lineage to Royce accusing people of holding subs too long is no different than a pot calling a kettle black. If no one cares about what Royce did, then no one should care about what Palhares did.

KneeUppercut site profile image

4/22/10 7:35 PM by KneeUppercut

lol @ being so concentrated on a guys foot you don't feel him tapping, hear him screaming, or realize the ref is running in trying to stop the fight and not realizing that it's the ref that's right in front of you trying to tug your arm off the guys limp leg... shit...

KneeUppercut site profile image

4/22/10 7:32 PM by KneeUppercut

I'm not justifying anyones actions. I'm asking you why you think it's relevant to say "well you know the guy saying that holding subs is wrong? Well he's coached by a guy, who was coached by a guy who held a sub for a long time... Twice in fact. 17 years ago... hahahah IRONIC ISN'T IT?"What happened with Gracie has no bearing on this situation at all. Just because someone trains with someone who trained with someone that was an asshole, doesn't mean that person should condone asshole behaviour. Your arguments are childish at best.

thebasher site profile image