Lauzon motivated as Gracie reaches out

source: bostonherald.com

With all of the fight camp and family drama leading up to the East Bridgewater native’s loss by decision to Efrain Escudero last weekend at UFC 114, Lauzon said the setback just might have been the best thing to happen to him.

It was well documented leading up to the fight that due to a training dispute Lauzon was without his older brother Joe Lauzon, as well as coaches Joe Pomfret and Steve Maze in his corner. Dan Lauzon did clear the air with his brother prior to the fight, and though they’re speaking, he’s glad it all happened the way it did.

Growing up in the shadow of a brother like the elder Lauzon has been difficult. The brothers fight in the same weight class (lightweight) and Joe has been around the local scene for a long time with success (5-2) in the UFC, whereas Dan (0-3) is still searching for his first win. Their personalities can be described as polar opposites, which led to clashes at their Bridgewater-based Lauzon MMA gym.

Dan Lauzon said that branching out from beneath his brother is something that is in his best interest. And after Escudero outworked him to the decision, Lauzon immediately realized his cardio work and gym habits need to change.

It almost seemed like fate when his plane landed Sunday in Boston. A longtime friend called from New York with Daniel Gracie on the line. Gracie extended an invitation to Lauzon to come to the Renzo Gracie Academy, which has helped fighters like Georges St. Pierre, Matt Serra and Ricardo Almeida.

“(Gracie) goes, `If you want to be a fighter you can’t hang around in your hometown just because you want to be with your friends and your family. You need to travel out of your comfort zone. I want you to move out here and train for three or four months and then you can fight anywhere in the world,”’ Lauzon said. “He said, `I just want to you to know this is your invitation. You have a lot of talent, I just don’t want you to waste it.”’

Come August, Dan plans on giving New York a shot.

“It’ll be good to get out of New England and go train,” Lauzon said. “I have to get away from my friends, the partying and stuff like that. It’s like moving out of Joe’s shadow a little bit.”“I’ve never really felt like that in a fight. I don’t want to feel like that again. I’m sick and tired of sitting around, feeling sorry myself and this and that.  I want to get up, train hard, get motivated and live up to my potential. Right now I’m just not. I’m training but I’m not focused on the right things."

“I need to start living outside the gym as a fighter, and inside the gym train like a fighter.”

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

ttt

Dbol Dev site profile image

6/4/10 1:33 AM by Dbol Dev

ttt

ACalandrelli site profile image

6/4/10 1:15 AM by ACalandrelli

I was really impressed with Dan his last fight, he def. belonged out there. Training with Renzo is a great move for him and will def. make him a better fighter. I hope the ufc gives dan another chance to get out there. Fighting without your camp had to be tuff, and he still fought his heart out and it was a very close fight.

ACalandrelli site profile image

6/4/10 1:15 AM by ACalandrelli

HYBRID JON site profile image

6/4/10 12:35 AM by HYBRID JON

Brothers are brothers...  Sometimes a few states between them is a blessing in disguise, especcially in high pressured, growing periods like these... Best of luck to both.... My bet, you'll see them inseperable in each others corner within the next 2 years (Both being title contenders)  Joe is stuck at 155... Dan, I see you as a 185'er... Laugh now, you'll see.....

HYBRID JON site profile image

6/4/10 12:35 AM by HYBRID JON

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!