Ricardo Arona: I am one win away from the UFC

source: bloodyelbow.com

"I spoke to Dana White, he was very amicable, every fighter in the UFC were very amicable towards me. They were all asking if I was going to fight for the UFC and all. And Dana told me that it would be interesting for me to compete in one more fight before competing in the UFC, so that I wouldn’t stay inactive and also so that they could analyze my performance as well."

"I thought that was fair in one way and not fair in another. For one, I think I can come back with everything because I know what I’m capable of doing inside. But if this is a formality and something determined by the promotion, I see nothing wrong with it"

"I have lots of options right now, I received calls from Abu Dhabi and also from many other countries that are organizing important promotions and I think that’s great, I see nothing wrong with it. From what I’ve seen in this weight class from the champions, what I have to say is that without a doubt, once I get there I will get the belt"

Read entire article... (translation)
Read entire article... (original Portuguese)

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: UFC   Dana White   Ricardo Arona

mrgoodarmbar site profile image

9/17/10 7:04 PM by mrgoodarmbar

what kept him on the sidelines for so long? Injuries? Personal issues? or just never worked out a deal with a promotion due to fighting style or whatever?

CREamedbyCandy site profile image

9/17/10 7:01 PM by CREamedbyCandy

Franklin would break his jaw and in the process of dissecting his facial features would end his Billabong sponsorship.Sign him up, looks like he wants to fight in the big leagues and who can blame him?Let Ace show him how he took Wanderlei down(superior power) how he KO'd Chuck Liddell(superior striking) and how he destroyed Lutter(superior grappling)

EckY site profile image

9/17/10 6:59 PM by EckY

Im not sure how Arona could be in anyones favourite fighter list. That said I would like to see him in the UFC.

TopChute site profile image

9/17/10 6:57 PM by TopChute

Does Arona lose a decision in the UFC? I don't think so.

Woodford Mike site profile image

9/17/10 6:24 PM by Woodford Mike

Arona was always one of my favorite fighters and its been frustrating as a fan to see him on the sidelines for so long. Looking forward to seeing him back in action, but I really think he needs to fight at 185 as opposed to 205. Either way, I hope he has success.

WRESTLENOW site profile image

9/17/10 12:39 PM by WRESTLENOW

he was one of the only Brazilians who somehow developed some decent wrestling in his game, i think he will do well under UFC rules; with elbows, no knees or kicks to a downed opponent will make it harder for guys to fight from the sprawl against him.

Mas0n site profile image

9/17/10 12:31 PM by Mas0n

Win 14-5 Marvin Eastman Decision (Unanimous) Bitetti Combat MMA 4 2009-09-12 3 5:00 Loss 13–5 Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou KO (Punches and Soccer Kick) PRIDE 34 2007-04-08 1 1:59 There is a significant gap, similiar to Mark Hunt

Mas0n site profile image

9/17/10 12:29 PM by Mas0n

Arona is not a new fight twit. The problem is Arona is a brazilian Jake Shields at 205 and 205 is one of the few exciting divisions these days in the eyes of the stand and bang groups eyes.

Morning Bell site profile image

9/17/10 12:27 PM by Morning Bell

when was his last match?

smiter site profile image

9/17/10 12:23 PM by smiter

Totally agree with him needing another fight. Its one thing current UFC fighters being out for a year with an injury then coming back, but another a new fighter coming in after a 1 year lay off.