TUF 8 winner Wilks supports axing of TUF 9 winner Escudero

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie.com

TUF 9 winner James Wilks said of the cutting of TUF 8 winner Efrain Escudero that winning the reality show doesn't guarantee job security, and he supports the promotion's decision to ax fighters who under-perform.

"I don't think just because you won 'The Ultimate Fighter' you deserve any breaks," Wilks told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "I think you should still perform just like anyone else has got to."

"If you're not winning your fights or the people don't want to watch you, then it's a business, and the UFC's got to make their decision. So I respect whatever decision they made."

"I've been really looking at my opponent's strengths, and working techniques against those. I'm watching all the footage, breaking it down in slow motion. Obviously, you don't get his whole arsenal of tools with his striking. You don't get to see everything he's got, but at least you get to see what he's done in past fights. We've been breaking it down, just working on those physical aspects and seeing what I need to do to counter those things."

"I've just got to keep a winning record so hopefully I can stay on board with them."

Read entire article...

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Jweinberg site profile image

10/6/10 5:02 AM by Jweinberg

Missing weight- 2x and losing because of it shows a lack of seriousness-Dana had to make an example of Efrain-

ICTimer site profile image

10/6/10 3:09 AM by ICTimer

It's nice to know that he'll be okay with his own dismissal after he tanks at UFC 120.

iBJ'd13Men site profile image

10/6/10 2:48 AM by iBJ'd13Men

pretty sure Efrain being cut, had more to do with missing weight then losing 2 fights. They are trying to be more strict with that, and used him as an example I feel.. I also feel that Wilkes should not be talking much smack...as he is going to be close to being cut, after Claude Patrick works him for three rounds and gets the win at 120

omgwtfeat1 site profile image

10/6/10 2:43 AM by omgwtfeat1

Only thing I remember from season 9 was bisping getting knocked out when he fought hendo

NarlyPersianDude site profile image

10/6/10 1:31 AM by NarlyPersianDude

No, Wilks is in the wrong here, Efrain is more than good enough to be in the ufc, lets see, he went into the show undefeated, then he beat a decent list of fighters to win the show, including Junie and Felipe, then he goes and destroys Cole Miller, the same Cole who beat Ross Pearson ironically in the tuf 8 season that Wilks was on, then Efrain loses to Dunham and Oleivera getting subbed both fights and he is cut? Awful, I mean Evan Dunham is a slam dunk top 10 not only ufc lw, but world lw, and Oleivera is the Jon Jones of the lw division a guy who is so talented that I told my friends after his fight with Efrain that this guy if he has a chin will go down as the great lightweight of alltime, thats how how I am on Charles, so how does that be worthy of a cut, I mean you got the overated Marcus Davis still in the ufc, but guys like Efrain get cut, its stupid, it would be like cutting Rashad Evans if he went undefeated into fights with Bader and Jones, and lost, that was a rambling mess, just wanted to say, losing to a couple of guys that will be cornerstone lw's for the future of mma should not get anybody cut, wheareas you got James Wilks who was tooled by a guy in Matt Brown who did not even win his own season, Efrain getting cut was actually a worse one that Vinny and Ben getting cut. You put Efrain in against one ufc lw not in the top 15 and he has a great chance of winning. I would like to see him back in the show. DasRy.

Vasechkin site profile image

10/6/10 1:30 AM by Vasechkin

Athletically he might not be the best, but he tries really, really hard.You've got to respect that.

Sans Lubricant site profile image