TUF 12, Episode 5 episode recap

by Steven Marrocco | source: mixedmartialarts.com

With Spencer and Nam on weight, it's fight time. And we've got:

Team GSP's Spencer Paige (7-2) vs. Team Koscheck's Nam Phan (16-7)

The southpaw Spencer quickly establishes momentum with a series of hard kicks to Nam's body. Nam soldiers on in spite of the shots and looks to employ a straight right to his opponent's chin. He's taken off his feet once by a hard leg kick, but he manages to find a home for his punch and briefly deposits Spencer on his butt.

Overall, though, it's Spencer who's doing most of the damage. He's mixing kicks to the body with stiff punching combinations and is more accurately sniping at Nam, who nonetheless charges ahead.

Finally, Nam blocks a kick to the body, and the fight does a complete 180-degree turn. The Southern California veteran quickly takes Spencer down and begins a furious stretch of ground and pound. Spencer looks helpless. He's taking shot after shot against the cage, and referee Herb Dean is inching closer. A few upkicks buy him some time, but Nam ends the round in dominant fashion when he leaps into side control and secures a kimura that looks like a done deal. Spencer winces but guts out the remaining five seconds of the round.

In between gratuitous shots of Playboy playmate and UFC ring card girl Arianny Celeste's behind, Spencer says his left foot is broken. Georges tells him not to think about it. But when the round gets started, it's clear Spencer is not the same guy. He lands a kick to Nam's body and visibly bunny hops on his right leg. Nam turns up the tempo with punches and high kicks, and Spencer is now a guy on the defensive.

Inexplicably, Nam never attacks his opponent's damaged leg.

Spencer nobly fights on in spite of the pain in his foot, but he's simply not equipped to match Nam's striking pressure. He curses himself as the fight begins to slip away.

Meanwhile, Nam continues to rack up points with his hands and his feet. His right hand is landing regularly, and he's attacking the body as well.

When the final bell rings, the fight's winner is not in question.

In his post-fight confessional, a defeated Spencer says he likely broke his foot when Nam checked one of his kicks, and he also broke his hand throwing a punch. Not great conditions for a good performance.

Judges declare Nam the winner, and that's a wrap with the fourth elimination fight.

Josh is ecstatic and takes an easy opportunity to gloat. Back in the locker room, Team Koscheck regresses 10 years and pounds on the common wall between the teams as Team GSP mourns Spencer's loss. Georges looks pissed.

UFC The Ultimate Fighter Team Rousey Hat

UFC The Ultimate Fighter Team Rousey Hat

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: Spencer Paige (detail)  Nam Phan (detail)  TUF   UFC

invalid site profile image

10/15/10 9:38 AM by invalid

Josh was a huge ass on the original season and you poeople are shocked he's acting like a 5 year old now?lol

Stupidnewbie site profile image

10/14/10 9:43 PM by Stupidnewbie

I like GSP's rationale for training every day."When I go to bed, I want to be a better martial artist than when I woke up in the morning." His whole approach to the journey of martial arts is very refreshing and inspiring.

BuddyRevell site profile image

10/14/10 8:58 PM by BuddyRevell

Thanks for the vid. I like this quote from Spencer: "I hit (Nam) with some real good shots. Some of my best shots. And I still couldn't stop him from moving forward."  GSP has a great quote: "All the guy that have trash talk me, Matt Hughes, Matt Serra the second time, BJ Penn, those guys I destro...(stops before saying it) I finished them."

Stupidnewbie site profile image

10/14/10 6:48 PM by Stupidnewbie

.TUF_embedded_video a .TUF_embedded_video a:hover The Aftermath: DisrespectfulUltimateFighter.comSee More:  Georges St Pierre • Nam Phan • Spencer Paige • Stephan Bonnar

Stupidnewbie site profile image

10/14/10 6:33 PM by Stupidnewbie

I can make a special bad AIDS batch if there is sufficient interest.

Kostakio site profile image

10/14/10 6:12 PM by Kostakio

"PS - What the fuck is Grapple Armour? Will it give me the bad AIDS?" LOL

Fredrico site profile image

10/14/10 1:31 PM by Fredrico

I thought Nam was just using his experience to be patient and strike at the right time. Spencer was throwing everything and wasting his energy.

ChicagoTom site profile image

10/14/10 1:16 PM by ChicagoTom

that's exactly how I saw it too. Nam was definitely eating some big kicks and a few jabs but never looked hurt during the first part of the rd.

ChicagoTom site profile image

10/14/10 1:14 PM by ChicagoTom

So back to the topic at hand... that Thai boxer was fucking those guys up! I didn't think it was all that necessary. I was kinda hoping Kos would have talked some shit and got in a fight with him.  Also, Nam is my new favorite fighter on the show. That dude is humble and can take a shot. Those kicks he was eating in rd 1 didn't even slow him down. Those kicks Nam threw in the 2nd rd were landing heavy. I loved his interview right before the fight how he explained his feelings right before the fight. Paige's interview about being so scared was interesting too.

stephen1547 site profile image

10/14/10 1:13 PM by stephen1547

I will go back and watch the fight again tonight. PS - What the fuck is Grapple Armour?  Will it give me the bad AIDS?