Herring waiting on UFC contract resolution

by Joe Myers | source: sherdog.com

The last time mixed martial arts fans saw Heath Herring in a fight, he dropped a unanimous decision to former heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at UFC 87 in August 2008. With no fights in the last two years, Herring seemed more likely to end up on the side of a milk carton than inside the Octagon.

“There were a couple of times [since the Lesnar fight] where the UFC wanted me to go overseas and do a fight for them, but it was tough,” Herring told Sherdog.com. “The UFC would do things like ask me to fight overseas but then only pay for one hotel room for me and my coaching staff. If I’m having to pay for hotel rooms, and they’re making as much money as they are on pay-per-views, it’s just not financially worthwhile for me to take that fight.”

Herring wants to fight again as soon as possible. However, he has no idea when that might be.

“I’m kind of in a weird deal with the UFC right now,” said Herring. “Supposedly I’m free and clear, but the UFC is able to match any offer I get for a year. I’ve had some offers, but I’m not sure if the UFC would let me sign somewhere else.”

“The Texas Crazy Horse” has not been idle during his time away from the cage. Instead, he has focused on building an acting career while living in California and Las Vegas.

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

tags: Heath Herring (detail)  UFC

maxmain site profile image

11/3/10 10:52 PM by maxmain

*fixed*

Darth BLAF site profile image

11/3/10 6:28 PM by Darth BLAF

ttt for Heath to go to Strikeforce to put up a losing record and then whine about how they're mistreating him.

NeverDoubtSparkyman site profile image

11/3/10 6:27 PM by NeverDoubtSparkyman

Luxury!  Why that's more than Shane Carwin made for headline a PPV with a heavyweight title shot!  It's greedy fat cats like Heath Herring that leave only scraps for men like Shane! What's a PPV main even heavyweight championship boxing contender getting these days?  Given boxing's well-documented decline, it must be in the $5000 range.

Peckerwood site profile image

11/3/10 4:11 PM by Peckerwood

Herring was making $70,000 and $70,000 when he started in the UFC. If that is bad money then major LOL... (not to mention this was 3-4 years ago so its even better money for back in the day)If he was down in the $60,000 range after his last fight is because he had 2 losses. Typically when guys lose their contract pay decreases not increases.

Darth BLAF site profile image

11/3/10 3:57 PM by Darth BLAF

"When asked about his next fight, Herring replied with some trepidation, "I wish I knew. Right now, I don’t have a very good contact... there’s not good things happening. I can’t really get into it because I’m in a big fight with them right now, but we’ll see what happens." ^Oh wait.....that's not about the UFC....my bad....it's what he was saying about K-1 back in 2006. You see, this is what Heath Herring does EVERYWHERE he goes....he's ALWAYS beeing screwed and victimized...according to Heath Herring. Just a heads up for you hate/blame Zuffa 24/7 faggots many of whom probably weren't even watching mma back in 2006. When asked about his next K-1 fight, Herring replied with some trepidation, "I wish I knew. Right now, I don’t have a very good contact going with K-1... there’s not good things happening. I can’t really get into it because I’m in a big fight with them right now, but we’ll see what happens." - Heath Herring, May 24, 2006

FreakDaddy site profile image

11/3/10 3:10 PM by FreakDaddy

While part of this is on the UFC, I think Heath has let his ego get in the way here.

Peckerwood site profile image

11/3/10 3:08 PM by Peckerwood

People forget Heath left the UFC, not the other way around. I like Heath but he is on thin ice w/ ufc. He doesn't have the technical skill or wrestling to compete with any of the top HWT's in the UFC such as Mir, Nelson, Cain, Brock, Shane, Junior, or Nog obviously.

Peckerwood site profile image

11/3/10 2:59 PM by Peckerwood

Major LMAO at this statement. Herring was brought in and paid very, very good money by HWT' standards and was even given co-main event status against Brock.He was also given co-main event status against Cain but dropped out. Heath has been critical of the ufc, their pay and mma in general and chose movies over fighting. Now that the "economy" has soured he's trying to collect a paycheck again.

jjj2121 site profile image

11/3/10 2:57 PM by jjj2121

Let's be honest, his entire UFC career was meh performances.

Haulport site profile image

11/3/10 2:47 PM by Haulport

First off........fuck you. 2nd: name one other HW who wasn't SMASHED in a rematch (Mir) or beat him (Cain), that went the distance with Brock....

MMA apparel and training equipment
MMA clothing and gear