Herschel Walker's opponent vows to shut up keyboard warriors

source: strikeforce.com

Strikeforce announced that legendary football star and 1-0 MMA fighter, Herschel Walker will be opposed by Scott Carson (4-1), in a featured heavyweight matchup on Saturday, Dec. 4, at Scottrade Center in St. Louis, live on Showtime.

The Underground quickly responded with a collective "not impressed with his performance" noting that the 40-year-old Carson's only fight in nine years was a loss, and that his four wins before then were against opponents with a combined record of 1-8. Below, Carson responds.

“I’ll tell you one thing. I’m a lot better fighter than the one I’ve been reading about on the Internet. This is a huge deal for me, a tremendous opportunity, but you’d think I was nothing going off what has been written by some of these keyboard warriors, who I doubt have ever stepped in a cage.  It’s a lot easier to sit in front of a computer and talk s--- than it is to actually fight.

“I am trying to take it all in stride, but I have no idea why some people are talking so negatively without ever having seen me. They don’t know me. I’m pretty well-rounded with good standup and wrestling.

“They say I’m old at 40 but I don’t feel 40 and I certainly don’t look 40. I think I look 30 and I’m in great shape. I’m ripped, just like Herschel.

“I’m going to be more ready for Dec. 4 than I have for any other fight. I plan to shut up all the critics, each and every one of them. Let them write something factual after they’ve seen me on Dec. 4.

“I’m really excited about fighting a great athlete like Herschel. I’m training every day. But the fact that some people aren’t giving me a chance is only giving me extra motivation. This is going to be a great fight.’’

“I was out a long time because of my back and I did rehab for a while. I never thought much about not fighting again; I always wanted to come back.

“But I couldn’t do anything until I was 100 percent. Once I got healthy again, I got better the more I trained. I’ve helped a lot of guys get ready for fights while waiting for my chance. I had a few fights lined up before my last fight, but they all fell out for one reason or another.’’

“It got to the point for the longest time that all I did was train.Then, the next thing we know, I’m fighting. I felt good going into that fight but just got caught. It can happen to anybody.’’

Read entire release...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

tags: Herschel Walker   Strikeforce   Scott Carson

N5Z site profile image

11/10/10 12:46 AM by N5Z

Same.  I will put a few bills on it too.

brahmabull81 site profile image

11/10/10 12:39 AM by brahmabull81

Thing is, Strikeforce should be able to balance the up and comers and prospects, with the money grab freak show fighters. Pride did it. Strikeforce needs to show more fights, i mean Mayhems last fight was never even shown. They need to take the actual promotion part a little more seriously. They are putting shows together (albeit haphazardly and last minute) but they arent promoting them. They do nothing viral, nothing with social networking (on the level of competitors or other promoting entities) that are vital in todays social network driven lifestyle. They arent reaching out to people like UFC does. The UFC is amazing in that regard. CRAZY access to fighters and backstage stuff on the website, boatloads of material leading up to fights with HD professionally shot (and sometimes tv broadcasted) weighins. Thats just some of it, but its great. They put out countdown shows, then they pop up on the website that night for your complete access. The press conferences take you back to those old Don King conferences with the classic professional setup and memorable moments. Nothing Strikeforce does comes even close to that.

Monsters Ball site profile image

11/10/10 12:27 AM by Monsters Ball

Neither. I wouldn't waste a broadcast spot on Herschel or a 4-0 guy. Does anyone really think people give a crap about Herschel Walker and will watch because he is on the card? He last played football over 13 years ago. You are obsessed with Herschel because he is a Georgia product. I doubt anyone gives a crap about a guy that last played football in the mid 90's.

futon1 site profile image

11/10/10 12:21 AM by futon1

My 2 cents:Herschel has only fought one pro fight. Is any criticism of his opponent valid, really? Chad Griggs knows how Carson feels. amirite or amirite

chaplinshouse site profile image

11/10/10 12:03 AM by chaplinshouse

trust me. brah... u LOOK every bit 40

jjj2121 site profile image

11/9/10 11:18 AM by jjj2121

TravenBJJ has the correct answer here.  Herschel is bringing in outside eyes, he's been on ESPN numerous times to promote this stuff, Strikeforce, etc.  He's been on Howard Stern a bunch talking about this, several national sports talk radio shows...this is the kind of promotion you simply cannot buy.

MMA TV site profile image

11/9/10 10:25 AM by MMA TV

the "keyboard warrior" phrase doesn't work anymore in 2010, ANYBODY can step into the cage for an MMA fight these days even if they barely train lol.

TravenBJJ site profile image

11/9/10 10:24 AM by TravenBJJ

do you think you will get more people watching with Herschel on the card or with jimmy Ray the 4-0 prospect from Iowa?

Monsters Ball site profile image

11/9/10 10:21 AM by Monsters Ball

You would suck as a fight promoter.

TravenBJJ site profile image

11/9/10 10:19 AM by TravenBJJ

I would think the best thing to catch him with would be a guillotine.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!