Joe Lauzon: Don't understand how Sotiropolous gets away with it

by Ariel Helwani | source: mmafighting.com

"I don't really understand how he gets away with them," UFC lightweight Joe Lauzon told Ariel Helwani on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour about the controversial leg attire worn by UFC 123 opponent George Sotiropoulos. "We're definitely going to look into it a little bit."

Sotiropoulos has been criticized in the past for wearing a mix of gear that covers nearly all of his legs, thus creating the same effect as a pair of grappling tights, which are prohibited by many state athletic commissions in the U.S.

"I don't see how you can wear your regular fight shorts, compression shorts under that that go to your knee, then wear knee pads on both sides that go halfway down your leg, then ankle supports that go halfway up your leg and down to your toes," Lauzon said. "I don't know what the deal is with the commission, if he'll be allowed to wear those or not, but we're prepared for him either way."

"We'll think about it (pressing Michigan officials to take a stand on the atttire). I don't know if it will make a huge difference, but at the same time, why give him that advantage? Maybe we'll make a formal request to not let him wear them."

"I thought it was a big step up in competition, to go from a Gabe Ruediger, who didn't have the best fight history, to a George Sotiropoulos, who's undefeated in the UFC. ... I was pretty surprised. I was taken back by it a little bit. I figured he'd be fighting for the title real, real soon, and I don't see myself in that same category. To go and be put up against a guy like that, either they really don't like me or they're expecting something good out of me."

Read entire article...

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Jaymma site profile image

11/15/10 2:06 PM by Jaymma

Joe isn't making excuses he was asked a question and he answered it. He said he will be prepared either way.

fshbk6383 site profile image

11/10/10 11:01 PM by fshbk6383

It is an issue of what he is wearing cuz with the full leg pads he has more grip on his submissions if he were to attempt a triangle of sort a sweaty fighter can try to squeeze his way out of it, with the pads its stops that from happening... But i see an arm bar or heel hook win for Joe either way...

Kostakio site profile image

11/10/10 10:54 PM by Kostakio

Joe is not "making excuses". He may be bitching (lol) but he's not an excuse maker, imo.

asbury site profile image

11/10/10 8:36 PM by asbury

its obviously considered an advantage with 10th planet guystheyre the biggest no gi crusaders alive yet half the time theyre wearing gi pants, spatz and or a rashguardobviously its not just for fashion

Savron site profile image

11/10/10 7:47 PM by Savron

Georgie Boy by slick BJJ, pads or no pads, compression shorts or not, ankle guards or not...And everything he wears is legal, so stop making excuses before the fight Joe...

orcus site profile image

11/10/10 7:30 PM by orcus

Would wearing that have kept Edgar from embarassing him?

AceAtGSU site profile image

11/10/10 7:01 PM by AceAtGSU

BJ needs a lot more than extra apparel to beat GSP at this point buddy. Sorry your butt hurt your boy lost BADLY.

AceAtGSU site profile image

11/10/10 6:59 PM by AceAtGSU

It is easy to say just fight when your job does not depend on it. If you were fighting and saw a guy even getting a minute advantage you would want it leveled. That being said I do not know if this is within the clothing rules for the UFC or not, but he is definitely trying to cover up as much as possible.

bhealthy site profile image

11/10/10 10:28 AM by bhealthy

imagine if BJ penn dressed like that, GSP and roids might not be all the rage with the young'uns hooked on 'reality TV'

Rickmeister site profile image

11/10/10 10:18 AM by Rickmeister

Lauzon a better striker than sotiropolous. Now I have heard it all.