Strikeforce not interested in Harris

by Ariel Helwani | source: mmafighting.com

"I talked to my guys about it, actually, they talked to me about it," Coker said of signing Harris. "I watched the fight [against Falcao], I didn't know how to judge it. Then they told me about his background and his past and things you are telling me now, that this guy is a tremendous athlete (who) has a ton of potential and just had bad showing or fought very cautious to try and win the fight.

"The only thing right now is we are really committed to the fighters we have under contract now and I want to make sure these guys get in the mix two or three next year. That doesn't mean we can't revisit with him, but for right now, I would say that I want to take care of the roster we currently have."

Strikeforce-not-interested-in-signing-gerald-harris/">read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: Gerald Harris (detail)  UFC   Strikeforce

RML site profile image

11/30/10 6:17 PM by RML

To me this means "we don't have the money or enough events to be signing new talent"

JimmersonzGlove site profile image

11/30/10 6:15 PM by JimmersonzGlove

UFC HW Champ is Strikeforce veteran Cain Velasquez

Gullivers Travels site profile image

11/30/10 6:15 PM by Gullivers Travels

They just know it will look bad if Harris comes in and does extremely well in the division.

jjj2121 site profile image

11/30/10 6:12 PM by jjj2121

A couple nice wins against borderline UFC fighters...I don't get the hype either.  He got straight clowned by a guy he was supposed to beat and was armbarred by 0-0 kickboxer Amir Sadollah on TUF.

NHB USA site profile image

11/30/10 6:05 PM by NHB USA

I must be missing the hype about Gereld Harris... before he was cut noboddy gave a rats ass about him beside a select few.

soldierdad5417 site profile image

11/30/10 4:41 PM by soldierdad5417

That's funny, the UFC doesn't want him either.

nni site profile image

11/30/10 3:53 PM by nni

The point. You missed it.

Unseen site profile image

11/30/10 3:48 PM by Unseen

Also this tactic can help SF sign better up and comers in the future.  The UFC capatalizes on fighters who all think they are going to be champs.  Well all of them can't be.  But SF is always a backup plan incase you get cut from the UFC.  Well what if SF says we're not going to be your backup plan?  Sign with us or the UFC but once you make your choice that's it.  For guys with crazy talent like Anderson Silva or fighter/celebs like Lensvar the UFC is a no brainer.  But for guys like Harris SF has an easier path to a belt, you can fight outside of the promotion, they don't mess with you sponsors and they don't cut fighters unless they really deserve it.

jjj2121 site profile image

11/30/10 3:24 PM by jjj2121

Edited for guys SF added in the last year or two and were CUT by the UFC.  Obviously they aren't going to not add a guy like Josh Thomson or Josh Barnett just because they fought in the UFC years ago.  They are avoiding becoming  the direct landing place for guys cut by the UFC.  Even someone like Daley got a couple wins before SF gave him a whiff.

Zedlepln site profile image

11/30/10 3:23 PM by Zedlepln

Everyone seems to be forgetting this point...

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!