Chris Brennan: I want back in the UFC

source: fightersonlymagazine.co.uk

Chris ‘The Westside Strangler’  Brennan is a fighter that’s been around the sport a long time. One of the first fighters to discard of the gi and focus on no-gi grappling, Chris has a distinguished career in promotions such as the UFC, Pride and Cage Rage.

Lance Edwards: Chris, I believe you’ll be fighting again soon?

Chris Brennan: Hopefully, I did have a fight but it fell through, so I don’t have one right now; in fact I’ve had three fights fall through, one in Sweden, one in Holland and one in Canada. I’ve always had a hard time keeping fights in smaller promotions; I didn’t have a problem in Pride and the UFC.

A lot of guys don’t want to fight me on a smaller show, which I don’t really understand, if they win it’s great for their career, but if they lose it’s not bad, as it’s beneficial to have fought a good level of competition. I really want to get back to the UFC, and to do that I need wins.

LE: Will you still be fighting at 155lbs?

CB: Actually, no, I’ll be fighting back at 170lbs. My brother, who’s my manager, and I looked at my record and it was far better at 170lbs. I always walked round big for 155, and it’s hard for me to hover around that weight, as I may need to take fights on short notice it takes a lot of effort.

LE: We haven’t seen you fight for a while, did you stop?

CB: I haven’t fought for nineteen months due to injury. I suffered a rib injury back in 2005 in my grappling match with Marcello Garcia, in my last fight I aggravated it. I’ve been doing other things, such as strength and conditioning training for motocross riders.

I actually haven’t felt this rejuvenated in my training for years now, I have the fire back like when I started in the sport. I fought a few times injured to make a dollar, and that really wasn’t the smartest thing, so I took the time out to heal.

LE: You mentioned , I believed you worked together with Kimo Leopoldo before he got in the UFC?

CB: that’s right, we were working at a bar as bouncers with Todd Medina as well. We saw the first UFC, and at the time we were in hundreds of street fights, we suddenly realized we could fight, get paid for it and not get arrested. Kimo had zero training at the time but was very athletic.

One thing people don’t know is there was a guy called Randy Ziegler who Kimo paid to go and take privates from Rickson, and Randy would then come back and teach Kimo what he learnt. At the UFC there was almost a huge fight in the lobby when Rickson saw Randy with Kimo and realized what had been happening.

Kimo did things in that fight he shouldn’t have known how to do at that time, and that’s because of that.

LE: Rumor has it that you will be preparing for your next fight with Renzo Gracie.

CB: How did you find that out? That’s  right, the plan is when I get a fight I’ll go and train with Renzo. Renzo and I go way back to Brazil, when he reffed my first MMA fight there, and we’ve been good friends since. When I signed up on twitter, he tweeted me ‘I heart your ten finger guillotine DVD’.

That was great and really meant a lot to me, Renzo saying that. He’s my favorite Gracie as far as fighting goes, he’s fought anyone, anytime, across weight classes as well; I really respect him.

Read entire article...

Fuji Women\'s Pink Blossom Gi

Fuji Women's Pink Blossom Gi

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

tags: Chris Brennan (detail)  UFC

BaraoKix site profile image

4/1/12 11:09 PM by BaraoKix

Start a winning streak and work your way back up. If you cant win the regionals, you wont get to go international...

UGCTT_ATLien site profile image

4/1/12 10:26 PM by UGCTT_ATLien

You mad bro? Did Brennen fuck your girl or your sister? Why bring up a year old thread just to talk shit?I hope the blues are V you TFD

WestsideStrangler site profile image

4/1/12 10:17 PM by WestsideStrangler

He said there are other fighters with better last 3-4 fight records in line ot be in the UFC go win a few fights and we'll talk.   You'll get nothing but honesty from me bro so fuck you if you want to talk shit on me.  Find me a thread where I made an internet challenge.  I don't know exactly when it was but it was only a couple months ago so if you want go read through my twitter feeds so you can see Dana say it.  I don't need to make shit up bud.  Read it!

Koga site profile image

4/1/12 12:45 AM by Koga

So did Joe Silva offer you a fight in the UFC? Its not everyday when DFW tells a fighter to contact the matchmaker directly. What should we expect over the next year, a return to active internet challenges?

fightsfan site profile image

4/1/12 12:27 AM by fightsfan

TTT for Brennan, hope his move to Big D has worked out well for him.

carcaju site profile image

3/31/12 11:16 PM by carcaju

WAR Westside Strangler. The liar thread is still one of my all time favourites. "I'm Chris Brennen",  "Err, no your not, you are talking to him!" Gold.

WestsideStrangler site profile image

3/30/12 5:32 PM by WestsideStrangler

You should probably get your facts straight before talking shit.  I have NEVER challenged any of the 3 guys you just mentioned.  Matt Serra is a fuckin prick but I didnt challenge him.  People were talking on here and Twitter saying what a great fight it would be.  I agreed while at the same time praising his skills.  He responded talking shit on Twitter and Dana came on and told me to contact Joe Silva.  Again I didnt challenge him the fans said it would be a great fight.  I have no clue what your talking about with me trying to fight Hughes or Lytle. And I also agree you should earn your way back in.  I never said I deserved to be back.  I was trying to get back and have had 5 fights drop out or events cancel in the last 16 months but i fight in 2 weeks so I'll keep you informed.  I was pretty injured over the last 5-6 years since ADCC and took some fights I shouldnt have.  I feel better than ever before right now so hopfully I'll be able to prove myself to you over the next year so that I will be able to sleep better and you won't search for threads with me in them that havent been posted in in over a year lol.  Get a fukn life bro.

WestsideStrangler site profile image

3/30/12 5:32 PM by WestsideStrangler

hi brad

howsyourhead site profile image

3/28/12 1:01 AM by howsyourhead

TTT and much love coach. hope all is well

Koga site profile image

3/28/12 12:01 AM by Koga

Over the past 2 years, Chris Brennan has lobbied through this website for the UFC to give him a fight with retired former champion Matt Serra, future HOF/former champion and then then-top 10 ranked Matt Hughes and then-top 5 ranked Chris Lytle.In the last 8 years, Brennan has complied a 3-5 record, with 1st round submission wins over journeymen Mark Moreno, one of his 2 or 3 wins over Shannon Ritch (48-75) and his most recent win 5 years ago over Adam DiSabato (who himself has a winning 3-2 record, with victories over Dave Rose 0-2, Mike Pound 2-7 and Phil Ramer 1-3). Brennan is 1-2 in the UFC, having lost in his last fight over 10 years ago. Best win probably against a then 17 year old Joe Stevenson in 1999. He has lost to every top 10 ranked fighter he has ever faced (Miletich, Castillo, Gomi, Riberio) but there is no doubt that he has faced some great fighters. With his honest and straightforward posts, he has gained many fans on this forum over the years. Today, Patrick Cote issued a statement concerning former UFC fighters who use media to try to get back in the organization, rather than "earning" it by fighting their way back:"The only thing you have to do is shut your mouth, win fights, and prove you deserve to be back in the big show by winning fights and by your performance," Cote stated. "It's the only way to get back. You have to prove yourself again to deserve the chance to get back in the big show; that's what I'm doing."