Did Shogun tap to Jon Jones' strikes?

source: ufc.com

At UFC 128 Jon "Bones" Jones used the longest reach in the UFC (for a while, a rigjht wrist injury inhibited his right during the fight) plus his knees, feel, throws, and elbows to annihilate now former champion Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in under three rounds of action. The flip side of that equation is that Shogun stood up to a bone avalanche until a liver shot and knee drove him permanently onto the mat.

Fans immediately questioned whether or not Shogun had tapped out just as referee Herb Dean stopped the contest. The implication was that tapping to strikes was somehow dishonorable. The people that mouth that sentiment have never earned the right to their opinion. Had they ever earned the right, by say getting punched in the face by a world-class professional, they would doubtless sing a different tune, through a split but smarter mouth.

So did Shogun tap at the end? You can decide for yourself.

But take from it that Shogun was heroic.

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Under Armour Sonic Compression Short With Cup Pocket

Venum Mauricio \

Venum Mauricio "Shogun" Rua UFC 161 Walkout Dry Fit Shirt

Daverr site profile image

3/24/11 8:18 PM by Daverr

i like me some watermelon

My2cents site profile image

3/24/11 7:34 PM by My2cents

"And generally "sports IQ" isn't considered when talking about athleticism. That's actually the opposite of athleticism." - I agree that most people usually dont consider sports IQ when talking about athleticism. However, athleticism, by definition means good at sports. Sports IQ is part of what makes one good at sports. I believe therefor, that it isn't the opposite of athleticism. Your opinions are ONLY relative to YOUR definitions?!?! Huh?? um ok. You say that your definition of Athletic is the same definition that is most generally used and your definition was basically "speed and power". If we are to discuss athleticism and athletic in the confines of "your definitions" than of course you are going to be right. If we use my definition, which is actually the same definition that is most generally used AND is actually Websters dictionary's definition which is: vigorous, active and pertaining to an athlete (a person who is trained or skilled in exercises, sports, or games requiring physical strength, agility, or stamina), you will see that what I stated in my other post to be true - and that is Some black athletes are more gifted, some white ones are. People are people no matter what their skin color and there are many gifted athletes of many different cultures, colors and races. I think that your post saying that 45/50 gifted athletes would be black if I made a list is ridiculous and racist. You may make up your own definitions and make your opinions based ONLY on your made up definitions but for the rest of the world, just so you know, racist is = a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. That my friend is your post in a nutshell! That by definition is racist.

KingstonHawke site profile image

3/24/11 5:27 PM by KingstonHawke

P.s. Everyone does know that black people actually have a predisposition to having more short-twitch muscle fibers right? And generally "sports IQ" isn't considered when talking about athleticism. That's actually the opposite of athleticism. And I made sure to list what I meant when saying more athletic on purpose so that if you had a different definition of athletic, that you would know that my opinion are ONLY relative to my definition of the word. The same definition that is most generally used. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16937962http://run-down.com/guests/je_black_athletes_p2.phpEtc... etc... etc.

KingstonHawke site profile image

3/24/11 5:27 PM by KingstonHawke

KingstonHawke site profile image

3/24/11 5:19 PM by KingstonHawke

I'm not saying that their isn't significant risk with getting punched in the head. I'm saying that you already signed up to get punched in the head by stepping in there. So we're not comparing not getting punched at all, to getting punched... we're comparing taking a few EXTRA shots. And no one knows whether taking 6 clean shots is significantly different than taking 10. That's just the truth of the matter. We do know what happens when your arm gets broke. So it's not valid to act like the difference between "extra" punches is the same to getting a limb broke, or ligament torn.

KingstonHawke site profile image

3/24/11 5:19 PM by KingstonHawke

My2cents site profile image

3/24/11 12:12 AM by My2cents

Btw- no shame in tapping IMO. Shogun is a professional and a champion caliber fighter and if he wants to tap, he's earned the right. He knows when he's had enough. After that liver shit he probably knew he couldn't defend himself and was going to take more vicious punishment that he was unable to defend.

Anarkis2 site profile image

3/24/11 12:11 AM by Anarkis2

Its called a body KO. If you weren't a fucking noob you would know this.

My2cents site profile image

3/24/11 12:09 AM by My2cents

KingstonHawke-1. You say - "There's a big difference between making observations about race, and being racist. What I said was "racial", but since I wasn't blindly putting down any race, it wasn't "racist". It's like if I say "black people like watermelon". Obviously it's not true every time. But the truth is, a lot of black people like watermelon, and so there for it's fair to generalize for the sake of debate." um, no. A lot of white people like watermelon too yet you, out of racial profiling and ignorance, think it is fair to generalize blacks=watermelon lovers for the sake of debate. Do you see how unintelligent you sound? FYI - In fact, the reason watermelon is associated with blacks is because it was originally only found in Africa, not because many black people like watermelon. 2." In your opinion are hockey players more athletic than football players in general? The obvious answer is no." Obvious? To who? Why is the obvious answer no? I would love to see a lineman try to skate one shift in a hockey game without having a heart attack. Hockey players are tremendously conditioned athletes with speed, power, agility, etc... "Given that we usually relate athleticism to speed and power." - It is not given that we usually relate athleticism to speed and power. Endurance, Cardio, sport IQ, agility, conditioning, etc... All come to mind when I think of athleticism. And then you go on further to say make a list of 50 athletically gifted and 44/50 will probably be black?!?! You are forgetting a plethora of sports and gifted athletes. There are more sports than Football, Basketball and fighting. Swimming?, soccer? Hockey? Skating? Gymnastics? Skiing? Snow boarding, etc... And let's not forget the amount of gifted white people in the NFL and NBA and MMA. You seem to have these glasses on that make you see a world where black people are more gifted than white people in athletics. That is simply not the case. Some black athletes are more gifted, some white ones are. Maybe some black superstars in the NBA or MMA have clouds your vision, but people are people no matter what their skin color and there are many gifted athletes of many different cultures, colors and races. The fact that you want to try to convince people that it is a racial matter only makes you come across like a racist. Many blacks like watermelon? Please. You are a perfect example of someone who should keep quite and have people think you are a racist and a fool rather than open your mouth and prove them Right.

Boondock site profile image

3/23/11 11:44 PM by Boondock

Had I known that this thread would lead to anyone posting about questioning Shogun's heart or honor, I'd have refrained. Which I should have. Shogun WAS, and STILL IS my favorite fighter.