JZ Cavalcante: DREAM hasn't paid me, Strikeforce is all talk

by Marcelo Barone | source: tatame.com

Marcelo Barone: How’s the situation with DREAM? Did they give you any response to your complaints about not being paid?

JZ Cavalcante: Not so far. My manager called them, but nobody respond, nobody answers. It’s disrespectful, the guys disappeared. The situation in Japan’s not good, because of the tsunami, but it’s no excuse, because it’s been a year. They should, at least, answer me, because there’re people saying they plan to produce another event.

MB: Do you intend to start a lawsuit so you’ll get paid?

JZ: I’m considering, I’m looking for a lawyer, trying to find another agency in Japan, somebody from there, who’s closer to it, so that I can get this cleared up.

MB: What do you think about this MMA market crash in Japan? Does that surprise you?

JZ: Over the years, after 2007, I realized it’ll all the same thing. I guess Japan didn’t keep up with MMA’s boom, its professionalization. The guys from Ultimate are much different than the guys in Japan, that schedule you to fight at the last minute, with two or three weeks in advance. It’s hard to promote the event that way… I realized that, if they didn’t change its concept, and started to think world wildly, it’d happen, like it did.

MB: And how are things with Strikeforce now?

JZ: Not good at all. They’ve been promising me a fight since December and every month they say the same thing: that I’ll be on their next card, next month… Meanwhile they’ve offered me two bouts with five days in advance and I asked them sometime to think about it. They called me in the morning and I asked them to give an answer in the evening. Then, when I called them, they have found someone already, and they didn’t tell me anything, they didn’t call me… I hope that with Strikeforce’s purchase, its organization will improve, and also its structure.

Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

Moskova M2 Boxer Brief

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

Super Body Care Shower Gel 8oz

tags: DREAM   Strikeforce   Gesias Cavalcante   JZ

KingstonHawke site profile image

4/17/11 7:13 AM by KingstonHawke

It's a numbers game. The UFC can get away with putting on a lot of fights because even there worse cards (Ultimate Fighter finales) make a ton of money. With Strikeforce it's sort of a balancing act, of putting enough popular fighters on a card to make it interesting, but not putting more than one or two expensive fighters on the card. Look at the Hendo card, bet he made double what the next guy did. Same thing with Fedor and Diaz. They can't even afford to promote up-and-comers because they are in the red, and have to squeeze every cent out possible. Obviously that will somewhat change now. But not by much. It sounds crazy, but it actually benefits Zuffa to not pour a ridiculous amount of money into Strikeforce as long as they are splitting the profit with Showtime. When they can just pour money into the UFC and keep all of the proceeds. Plus, if Strikeforce was to become very successful right now, it'd be harder to buy Showtime out, and I'm sure they do not want to just let that deal expire and take the chance of losing high-profile potential match-ups.

KingstonHawke site profile image

4/17/11 7:13 AM by KingstonHawke

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

4/17/11 5:18 AM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

Showtime wants Lawler, Cris Cyborg, Hendo, Babalu, Diaz. Jardine means guys will get bumped. It's about names people know and names they feel Will equal action packed bouts along with the power to get folks to tune in. Casuals aren't watching challenger cards. But they WILL watch Robbie Lawler. So, from a sporting perspective it sucks but from a tv perspective and ratings it makes sense to go with perceived stars.

Cherokee Diaz site profile image

4/17/11 3:50 AM by Cherokee Diaz

I think it has more to do with what Showtime wants than what Rich Chou wantsShowtime wants the big names every card, thats why I believe alot of the fighters are on the shelf for so longThey do under 20 cards a year & they want the big draws on those cards

Poindexter site profile image

4/16/11 11:58 PM by Poindexter

F'd up.

CindyO site profile image

4/16/11 11:54 PM by CindyO

Have you been getting calls/texts/e-mails, too, about Rich??? Cindy

FJP111 site profile image

4/16/11 11:51 PM by FJP111

The UFC should just pick him up, I think he would do quite well from the fights I have seen of him.

BJJkilla site profile image

4/16/11 11:40 PM by BJJkilla

strikeforce is horrible at keeping their fighters active. the UFC wouldn't have a hard time getting JZ a fight.....

slamming site profile image

4/16/11 11:32 PM by slamming

Rich Chou sucks, thats why.

sevr1 site profile image

4/16/11 10:58 PM by sevr1

No kidding! They have some seriously talented fighters who are dying to fight. Plus, the fans want to watch these guys too. Someone needs to get it together.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!