Hazelett: Career on hold, heading back to school

by Dann Stupp | source: daytondailynews.com

Hazelett (12-7) still plans to fight professionally in the future, and he’ll continue competing in jiu-jitsu tournaments. But he’s decided to focus on that second career for now. And he made that decision in late 2010 — even before his latest loss.

“I had actually talked to (my manager) Monte (Cox) about taking a break,” he said. “He said he thought it was a good idea. I had been fighting so much. ... I was getting burned out. I wasn’t in a good place mentally.”

So, Hazelett has been attending EMT courses at Scarlet Oaks. He’ll finish in June, and then he hopes to find a job with 24-on/48-off hours. Indianapolis firefighter Chris Lytle, for example, has fought 11 years in the UFC because such a schedule leaves plenty of time for training.

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

UFC Elite Series MMA Training Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

tags: Dustin Hazelett (detail)  UFC

JeffersonDArcyChoke site profile image

4/18/11 3:39 PM by JeffersonDArcyChoke

Smart move. I mean it's not like Bellator would make him rich. He can chase what he wants, compete in tourneys and in two years if he feels the itch; I'm sure he could get a fight in the UFC. Or go on TUF. He'd be a "name" for TUF. A comeback, etc.

GZFS site profile image

4/18/11 3:30 PM by GZFS

someone should advise him to get a career field with $$$, career advancement opportunities, and one that he can do if he gets injured and his body doesn't work the way it did when he was 18. don't give him the chase the dream argument. he chased it, achieved it, now get a job that can provide for your family long term.

Mix6APlix site profile image

4/18/11 1:55 PM by Mix6APlix

Im still pissed at Erica Montoya. What was it Medical School or Law School? You pick one of those instead of wearing spandex and rolling around with other chicks?? For shame. For shame.

Poindexter site profile image

4/18/11 1:37 PM by Poindexter

I'm a fan. Good move for him, but I hope we can see him fight again soon.

Peckerwood site profile image

4/18/11 12:36 PM by Peckerwood

Bill Pharoni, aren't u aware that the UG needs a justification for everything? We also are experts on what someone should do with their life/career lol.

GageIsLegend site profile image

4/18/11 12:35 PM by GageIsLegend

Good for him props for going.

Bill Pharoni site profile image

4/18/11 12:27 PM by Bill Pharoni

Bottom line is that if he feels like taking time off then he should. He doesn't need to justify it to this forum or anybody else.

Peckerwood site profile image

4/18/11 11:44 AM by Peckerwood

ttt

Peckerwood site profile image

4/18/11 11:30 AM by Peckerwood

I kind of agree with j2121 here...Hazlett took the entire 2009 year off and then fought 3 x in 2010. He had 7 months off between his 1st and second fight...and 4 months between his 2nd and 3rd fight.Maybe he is just not feeling fighting all together? He doesn't strike me as a guy who lives to fight (born fighter). IMO he is more a BJJ superstar who should stick to grappling tournys and teaching.I think the job and school is perfect for him. He's young and should start to think about his future. Plus he has had some rough injuries already.

Melvinator86 site profile image

4/18/11 11:00 AM by Melvinator86

I'm an EMT and I think he should just go for FF instead of EMT, it's ridiculously hard to find that schedule..(in jersey at least). He'll be underpaid and overworked on top of getting his ass whooped in training