The truth about making weight

by Ben Fowlkes | source: mmafighting.com

When Mike Dolce's cell phone buzzes with an unfamiliar number a few days before a major MMA event, he already knows what's coming.

Dolce's primary work is as a nutritionist, managing the day-to-day food intake of pro athletes with precision focus. But the creator of "The Dolce Diet" is also known to be something of an expert at temporary weight-cutting, and a last minute call to Dolce means that somewhere, some fighter is panicking.

"I get phone calls the week of, or the night before weigh-ins sometimes," Dolce said. "I've taken same- day requests. I've gotten there on the day of the weigh-ins, got in there and gotten it done. I'm able to work a little magic then, but if they're calling me at that point, they already screwed up."

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

Hayabusa Tokushu 4oz MMA Gloves

tags: Mike Dolce (detail)

LoganClark site profile image

4/26/11 11:00 AM by LoganClark

Hot baths are the way to go. No breathing in super hot air like in the sauna.

notsobigmike site profile image

4/26/11 10:55 AM by notsobigmike

That's a big part of what Dolce does. He helps fighters cut weight the "right" way so that they can recover fully and perform for the fight.

I'mDownWithBrown site profile image

4/26/11 10:32 AM by I'mDownWithBrown

Great article.

Fight! UK Online site profile image

4/26/11 10:24 AM by Fight! UK Online

I do the baths when I cut, and it isn't just like you're sitting comfortably in a warm bath, I do it fully submerged with either a snorkle or a straw, or with just my mouth and nose poking out if I don't have anyy Ten minutes feels like an hour, you'll get light-headed and it's pretty awful, but you're not expending all the calories like doing  a hard workout with the sweats on. You sweat pretty good, especially if you wrap up and lie down for a while afterwards and it keeps coming out whilst your core temperature is raised.

X_Rated site profile image

4/26/11 10:01 AM by X_Rated

That is... hardcore... holy fuck. My impression however, is that if you're missing weight and you resort to dropping a crazy amount of weight in little time... how the fuck are you going to perform come fight time?

cdmontgo site profile image

4/26/11 9:44 AM by cdmontgo

ttt

Big Baby Jesus site profile image

4/26/11 6:50 AM by Big Baby Jesus

That is a great article

grandchampion site profile image

4/26/11 6:25 AM by grandchampion

more than once i did 10 lbs in an hour in a hot bath w epsom and alcohol... I got good at it and i would be about 8lbs or so over the morning of weigh ins and drop the last 10 like this right before stepping on the scale...Use the hottest water you can stand and dont do more than an hour... take a couple 1 minute breaks out to cool down and i would have a hose w just a trickle of cold water to keep me sane...I wouldnt recommend this to someone who isnt used to the feeling of cutting so hard cause it will F u up...

BALLSDEEP site profile image

4/26/11 2:13 AM by BALLSDEEP

^^yep yep. TTT for a good read.

Martinez! site profile image

4/23/11 1:05 PM by Martinez!

They also cranked up the heat in the hotel room, so he was probably going from a hot tub to a 80-90 degree room and then back to the tub. I'm sure the entire process of losing took more than the hour spent in the hot tub.And I'm assuming there was some manipulation with his diet /electrolyte intake, too. That can make a huge difference in bodyweight, especially if you're already lean and don't have much fat to lose.