Hawn not suprised by 'controversial' decision loss to Hieron

by Mark Daniels | source: bostonherald.com

Right after the judges scorecards were read off, at this weekends Bellator 43, and Jay Hieron was awarded the 29-28 split decision over Rick Hawn, MMA online message boards lit up. Many felt Hawn, a resident of Dracut, left the cage in Newkirk, Okla. robbed.

Though the fight was razor thin the 34-year-old Hawn, who trains in Somerville at Sityodtong and at Renzo Gracie N.H. in Derry, N.H., says he went into the third and final round thinking he was behind on the scorecards.

“I thought I was down from what my corner was telling me. He was running away so I wasn’t really connecting with anything solid,” Hawn said. “My corner was telling me I needed a knockout or a finish, which is pretty much the way I felt. I knew I was down.”

As the the decision was announced in Bellator’s Season 4 170-pound tournament final Hawn (11-1) could be seen nodding his head and says he wasn’t surprised.

“No, I just felt like I didn’t do enough,” he said. “I haven’t watched it yet but when I go back and watch it again it’ll probably be different. It was frustrating to not be able to connect on him because he was back pedaling so much. I can’t be mad at anyone but myself. I didn’t finish the fight. If I did, none of these conversations would be going on.”

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

Jaco Sugafly HT Shirt

tags: Rick Hawn

RandlemansStaph site profile image

5/10/11 12:38 PM by RandlemansStaph

Good for Hawn remaining classy. There is no doubt he won that fight. No doubt.

ClockChokeOrange site profile image

5/10/11 12:22 PM by ClockChokeOrange

Hieron acted like he just landed the Pettis kick to win by dramatic KO when the fight ended.

B_Goetz site profile image

5/10/11 12:17 PM by B_Goetz

Heiron still has to get through Askren to become champ I think.

Nate R site profile image

5/10/11 11:47 AM by Nate R

Hawn is a classy guy and a very hard working fighter. I expect a very impressive career coming from this guy

tbarchard site profile image

5/10/11 10:08 AM by tbarchard

To say Hieron is a more exciting fighter is crazy, Hawn pushed forward the whole fight. Hieron ran. His last fight was only exciting because Weedman brought it to him. Four of his last 5 went to decision and the only 1 that didnt was his 1st fight in the tournament when the ref stopped it for no reason

Poindexter site profile image

5/10/11 9:00 AM by Poindexter

No doubt. WTF is that guy talking about? And Hawn has 7 T/KOs in 11 wins. Fail.

Nuetraman site profile image

5/10/11 7:39 AM by Nuetraman

Hawn was coming forward to brawl, Hieron was backpeddling just contended for a decision win

Son of Scott Ferrozzo site profile image

5/10/11 7:30 AM by Son of Scott Ferrozzo

I don't know. That particular fight was a questionable call to be sure, but honestly there is no more boring fighter imo than Hawn. It would have been terrible to see him as a champion. Hieron at least finishes guys and is significantly more exciting. He'll serve Bellator and fans MUCH better than Hawn.

Nuetraman site profile image

5/10/11 7:02 AM by Nuetraman

everybody is surprised by the decision except for him.. what a classy guy