Jake Rosholt appealing Titan Fighting 18 DQ

by Matt Bishop | source: bloodyelbow.com

After his controversial disqualification loss to John Ott at Titan Fighting Championship 18 on Friday, Jake Rosholt is appealing the decision to the Kansas Athletic Commission.

The controversy arose when Rosholt hit Ott with a knee to the head of a downed opponent late in the third round, a foul under the Unified Rules. The referee ruled it an intentional foul and disqualified Rosholt when it was deemed Ott could no longer continue. Rosholt maintains his stance that the knee was an accidental foul.

With 40 seconds left in the fight, Rosholt landed the illegal knee. Rosholt said he thought Ott's knee was up and that's why he threw it, noting, at the time, he didn't know why the referee stopped the fight.

"We're talking with the commission from Kansas," Rosholt said. "We talked to them Friday night after the fight. I felt like there's been other fights where the exact same situation arose and those fights were allowed to go to the scorecards when the fighter couldn't continue and I don't understand why my fight wasn't allowed to go in that same direction."

"I don't really know what's going to come of it," Rosholt said. "I guess if nothing else it's going to make me feel a little bit better just because I didn't standby and let something I didn't feel was right happen."

"You know, do I think he (milked it)? Yeah, I think he did," Rosholt said. "Can I judge him or is it my place to judge him about what he did? No. It was his own decision. If he was hurt that bad, he was hurt that bad, but I sure think that he played it up a little bit. I don't understand how you can watch the video and not think that he did. The guy popped right back up, walked to the center, threw his thumbs up, the ref comes back over to him and says it was an illegal knee and he starts getting wobbly. So yeah, I think for sure he played it up a little bit."

Read entire article...
Listen to entire radio show...

(Knee is at the 5:20 mark)

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

Venum Skintex Sparring MMA Gloves

Venum Skintex Sparring MMA Gloves

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

Under Armour The Original Boxerjock 3in Trunk

DaemonDragon site profile image

6/1/11 7:52 PM by DaemonDragon

Was this really called for now. What specifically about that post was so bad? His head worbling doesn't in any way resemble Lawler against Melvin to you...?Do you disagree that Ott hurt his tough guy reputation with this, and that people will use this to criticize him?Do you disagree that Rosholt will just have ended up wasting energy on an appeal that goes nowhere?Very odd to criticize my post with such venom, when I didn't say anything that even seems particularly controversial.

ALL DAY JAY site profile image

6/1/11 6:45 PM by ALL DAY JAY

Agree 100%.

People Like Snatch Get Slapped site profile image

6/1/11 6:42 PM by People Like Snatch Get Slapped

Truly awful post. Fucking retarded.

pencilboy25 site profile image

6/1/11 6:34 PM by pencilboy25

...so why have rules about knees to a grounded opponent or kicking the nuts if they are just going to brush it off? unless you can do = damage to the fighter that did the illegal move.  Give the guy a free knee to Jake's face.  or automatic 2 point deduction.

DaemonDragon site profile image

6/1/11 6:21 PM by DaemonDragon

Maybe, although I think the Voice is going totally overboard at the end there. It was a cut on the nose, it's not affecting his vision. And that level of blood loss is nowhere near enough to affect you - the blood in your mouth might affect your breathing, and it can affect you mentally, but the blood loss itself is too minor as Trigg correctly points out. You can make a good case for stopping the fight, but Schiavello shouldn't be criticizing the doctor.

DaemonDragon site profile image

6/1/11 6:15 PM by DaemonDragon

That was Robbie Lawler levels of bad acting. In fact it was like Lawler was his acting coach, he did the same head circles Lawler did against Manhoef when he tried to pretend he was hurt and draw Manhoef in - Robbie's acting so was bad I thought he was trying to taunt Melvin.Very transparent acting job by Ott. Not even sure if it's worth it for him, because yeah he gets the win. But Ott was respected for his toughness and people are going to mock him for this pretty bad. That was pretty brutal, looks fine with the thumbs up and suddenly becomes a bobblehead.As for the appeal, nothing will come of it. Rosholt is just wasting his energy. I suppose I can understand the desire to do everything you can when you feel like you got screwed, but the commissions almost never overturn referee judgement calls.

Humphrey site profile image

6/1/11 6:06 PM by Humphrey

these appeals are pointless. The commission is not going to start changing decisions of the refs because if they did every fighter that loses would appeal the loss. I understand the point, but it's never going to happen. and frankly it shouldn't. The commission should train their refs, and take action there. if the problem is blatant that might be another story, but this is nowhere near cement, and ott was acting anyway, so maybe rosholt would appeal the overturn if it happened. See the point?

Kingmma site profile image

6/1/11 5:58 PM by Kingmma

Rosholt was dominating the entire fight. It should have been stopped because of the cuts. I think they should change the outcome to a no contest, same thing that should have happend with matt hamils win over jon jones. And you all should ease up on ott the man will fight anyone put in front of him and win or lose he always displays an iron will.

JimmersonzGlove site profile image

6/1/11 5:46 PM by JimmersonzGlove

Unified Rules are fucking retarded.

blueheron20816 site profile image

6/1/11 5:46 PM by blueheron20816

Rosholt was careless, it was illegal, and the fight should have been stopped momentarily. Like I said before, Im definitely not a Rosholt fan, kinda the opposite actually, I just really dont like seeing shit like this. Jake is an idiot for the knee, yeah, but is rolling around on the ground so the other guy gets DQed any better? nope. Ott wanted the fight to end, that was clear, when someones rocked and trying to continue theyre usually flying all over the place trying to get their barings, not flopping over to their back, rolling around and trying to sell how hurt they are...he got back up and was fine for a few seconds...just not buyin it....