Carwin's coach: He was like Rocky Balboa

by Brian Hemminger | source: mmamania.com

Brian Hemminger: Shane's first major attack last night was a takedown attempt into a clinch along the fence. Was that part of the gameplan to go out there and pin Junior down right away or did he just see an opening?

Trevor Wittman: Our game plan was to kind of pin him up against the fence, dirty box him and rough him up. If the takedown was there, we expected Junior Dos Santos to defend the takedown but we figured probably after the third or fourth attempt we'd be able to keep him down, hold him down and wear on him a bit. The game plan pretty much went out the window. It's easier said than done. Our game plan definitely was to grind him out along the fence, get him down, rough him up and dos Santos used his feet real well and kept Shane off balance with his jab. A lot of credit goes to dos Santos.

BH: I wanna get your thoughts on Shane's heart because he got a lot of credit on that from a lot of people for his performance last night, how he came back from such a brutal end to the first round.

TW: One thing I can say about last night, I've been in this business a long time and I've worked many corners in boxing and many corners in MMA. You win some and you lose some. Last night, he inspired me so much as a trainer. To be involved in the first round war where I thought the fight was almost gonna be stopped and could have been stopped because of the punishment he was taking on the ground and then he comes into the corner and he looked like a beat fighter. He looked mentally beat. He looked physically beat. He had already started getting cuts. I didn't tell him any instruction on how to beat dos Santos at that point. All I did was psychologically try to get him back into the fight. Nothing was working until I mentioned his family and when I told him to put his family in his mind and go out there and do this for your family, the whole energy in his body changed, his posture changed, the look in his eye changed and to see him go out there and overcome that, go forward and start landing kicks; he's not much of a kicker. He even tried a switch kick. He just got turned on.

To me, that was like watching a Rocky Balboa movie. Movies are made about stuff like that. As a trainer, I felt we won. We didn't win the fight but we won as a person and as a team. He did not get beat mentally. He went out there like a warrior. it's hard to explain but it's very inspiring as a trainer and I'm still in awe and still amazed at the way he looked in the hospital afterwards. The way he went out there and said "screw it" and put on a fight for the fans and there was no quit in him at all. Even when he had that nasty cut in the third round, I thought the fight should have been stopped at that point. That was a very bad cut and he still asked to go on longer. The crowd really got into that. It was probably the most exciting corner I've ever been in and it was an experience I've never experienced before and I'm still feeling it.

Read entire interview... (please)

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Jaco Resurgence Fight Shorts

Headrush American Bandit Shirt

Headrush American Bandit Shirt

Squared Circle site profile image

6/13/11 4:13 PM by Squared Circle

Post surgery Cain will look as unfamiliar as post surgery Carwin did. Two Saints fustigates Cain into living bolivian.

disbeliever site profile image

6/13/11 2:53 PM by disbeliever

Year lay off for shoulder surgery will play a huge part too imo

subwrassler site profile image

6/13/11 2:51 PM by subwrassler

Cain will execute his gameplan vs Dos Santos successfully imo.he has a much better ability to takedown and control his opponents than Shane or any other heavyweight.not to mention his legit striking. although he may not want to tread in those waters with JDS...maybe just to get the TD.Cain will win and remain champ.

Proteus The Invincible site profile image

6/13/11 2:34 PM by Proteus The Invincible

The problem there is that Carwin is very slow and not much of a kicker in the first place, so it likely would have left him getting counterpunched with brutal shots. It would have been a nice set up for the wrestling if executed well, but I really think Jr would have made him pay dearly before very long.I was very suprised at how easily Dos Santos fended off the clinch and takedowns. Perhaps it wouldn't have been as easy if Carwin was preparing his wrestling offence for the whole camp, instead of likely working his wrestling defence very heavily while training for Einemo. We all know that Shane posed quite the similar threat as Brock, so the change of opponants wouldn't have affected Jr as much as it did Carwin.Carwin would be a heavy underdog in a rematch for good reason, but I think that he really could make it an ugly fight for Dos Santos if he had a full, dedicated camp to focus on getting a hold of Jr, whether on the ground or against the fence, and smashing him. People may say that gameplan is too predictable, but there was no secrecy surrounding Jr's gameplan either, which was to keep it on the feet and utilise superior technique and speed with his strikes.

frontrowbrian site profile image

6/13/11 2:25 PM by frontrowbrian

Brock was beat when he became gravely ill in 2009. Only Frank Mir beat a 100% Brock Lesnar .... and that was his 2nd fight and before he brought in Comprido.

Calhoon site profile image

6/13/11 2:24 PM by Calhoon

This stuff is almost as good as when he said."Cain beat Brock because Shane broke him."

Lil P site profile image

6/13/11 2:17 PM by Lil P

This is the same guy who pretty much said Junior didnt belong in the same cage as Carwin right? It went from JDS has no chance against Carwin to Carwin won just cause he didnt get KTFO. lmfao Wittman is a staright tool

john joe site profile image

6/13/11 1:52 PM by john joe

my gameplan for JDS would include kicks to the lead leg. His stance is very boxery and has the foot turned slightly inwards as boxers do, which makes it harder for him to then lift the leg and turn it out to check the kick. Carwin could have hammered him with leg kicks imo

ultimateCalo site profile image

6/13/11 12:38 PM by ultimateCalo

Those comments are so bizarre. Your guy got destroyed. Why are you talking like you or your gameplan were successful in any way?If I'm reading that after I got soundly beat I'd look for a new trainer. I wouldn't even have confidence that this guy is gonna prepare him for his next fight so the same thing doesn't happen again.it reminds me of that parody promo with the fat guy who gasses hitting a heavy bag and is saying "he woulda been out by now" while wheezing. Only it's the trainer saying "he woulda been out by now, great workout" while Carwin is struggling to breath

socal site profile image

6/13/11 12:28 PM by socal

carwin showed tons of heart in that fight.JDS holly crap, that was great boxing and gameplan.