Jorge Santiago: I can submit Demian Maia

by Guilherme Cruz | source: tatame.com

Guilherme Cruz How are your training for the fight going?

Jorge Santiago: Right after the fight was over (against Brian Stann), I took some time off and started training it step by step. I’m still not playing his game, I’m just doing a strong basic preparation. I hope to do a great fight with him. Demian wants to show his striking, so I’ll enjoy trading punches with him too.

GC: Do you believe he’ll want to bang with you?

JS: I don’t know. For what I could tell about his last fight, he really likes striking, but he’s strongest point is his Jiu-Jitsu. If we must strike, let’s do it.

GC: What are your thoughts about his Jiu-Jitsu?

JS: He has an excellent ground game. I’ve watched his fights for a long time, he has a good ground game, but mine ain’t any worst. I still haven’t had the chance to show it in MMA, but I can fight him on the floor. My ground game is focused in MMA, I don’t only work on the guard, use it to sweep… If you are not careful, I’ll get you and you’ll tap out.

GC: You’re not afraid of Demian while on the floor?

DM: No… If he makes a mistake, I’ll submit him.

Read entire interview...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

Elevation Training Mask 2.0

tags: UFC   Demain Maia   Jorge Santiago (detail)

Focker101 site profile image

7/29/11 8:12 AM by Focker101

How many mistakes will Santiago make before Maia makes even one ? how many mistakes does Maia need before he can capitolize.

K-Dub-

7/29/11 6:30 AM by K-Dub-"T"

LOL @ Santiago even coming close to submitting Maia. Maia is more likely to submit him late in the second or 3rd. Most likely scenario; Maia by newly discovered BUNGALOWS.

strontium90 site profile image

7/29/11 5:52 AM by strontium90

Whose bright idea was it to give Jorge Santiago a fight with Demian Maia after he lost - and lost so badly - to Brian Stann? Someone like Ed Herman would have made far more sense as Santiago's next opponent.

NorthFromHere site profile image

7/28/11 2:53 AM by NorthFromHere

Maia ended his grappling career prematurely by switching to MMA full time after winning the ADCC in 2007. Had he continued competing in grappling, I believe he would have continued to improve and ruled his weight class.

myee8 site profile image

7/28/11 2:11 AM by myee8

Oh, and if Santiago thinks he can submit Maia, then i can bang Brittney Palmer...

myee8 site profile image

7/28/11 1:35 AM by myee8

Even if that is so, Maia may not have to be one of the best bjjers, but he is one of the best guys to have adapted his bjj for mma...

KC007 site profile image

7/28/11 1:25 AM by KC007

I hope Maia is not falling into the Gonzaga trap where he falls in love with the stand n' wang. I would like to see him take it to the ground and control his opponent there.

weaktendons site profile image

7/27/11 6:03 PM by weaktendons

Maia still has beaten some of the best bjjers on the planet.. he might not be as good as roger or jacare but hes still light years better then santiago. Maia still has a win over jacare, santiago wouldnt beat jacare in a thousend attempts

dcvillain site profile image

7/27/11 5:36 PM by dcvillain

Fair is fair, I should have probably picked a better term, because Maia is definitely elite. Not trying to be disrespectful to him or his abilities, just have a hard time with people tossing his name around with some of the all time greats. I also have a hard time with people so quickly dismissing him being able to be submitted by a very tough and formidable opponent in Jorge.

Rockstars site profile image