Matt Hamill retires after loss at UFC 133

by Paul Daugherty | source: cincinnati.com

Today is a sad day for me. After six years and 13 fights in the UFC I'm ready to hang up my gloves and retire from this amazing sport.

The UFC has been extremely good to me and given me an opportunity to make a great living. That exposure has allowed me options outside the Octagon as well. I just don't have it in me to fight anymore and my last two performances have shown that.

I was ready to make this decision after UFC 130 but my friends, family coaches and most importantly my daughter encouraged me to give it one last chance. My career has been plagued by injuries starting with The Ultimate Fighter and disrupted my training ever since.

read entire statement:

The news, now confirmed by Hammill himself, was previously reported on a local Cincinatti radio show:

Local UFC  man made good, Matt Hamill, Loveland HS grad, is going to retire. That’s a good and wise move, given he has lost his last 2 fights. The one Saturday night was especially horrific. Matt was taken down in the 2nd period and blasted repeatedly in the face and head. By the time the ref stopped the bout, Matt was defenseless. I know lots of people enjoy this sport. But when a guy you know is getting brutalized, it’s absolutely the worst thing I’ve ever witnessed.

Matt will be OK. He has a gym in Utica, NY, is part owner of a new sports bar, I believe, and has had a movie done on his life.

I’m very glad he’s done with ultimate fighting. No disrespect to those who practice it and follow it, but it’s way over the top brutal and, to me, senseless.

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Venum Venum Tribal Boxing Gloves - Nappa Leather

Venum Venum Tribal Boxing Gloves - Nappa Leather

tags: Matt Hamill (detail)  UFC

soldierdad5417 site profile image

8/10/11 9:16 AM by soldierdad5417

Just looked like he was there "to see what happens" last time. I always rooted for the dude and hope maybe he gets his heart back in it for one more. He's gotta know he's got a pretty big fan base out here. Good luck Matt!!!!

CHiLLEN site profile image

8/10/11 7:27 AM by CHiLLEN

Lol. ;)

cincibill site profile image

8/10/11 1:10 AM by cincibill

They brought him along way too fast. If they fed him lesser fighters he would still be in the game. I do love his wins over Tito and Jones.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

8/10/11 1:01 AM by MasterofMartialArts

You mean the attitude to get better after any and every loss? You mean the attitude to never give up? Dude, he is a humble and respectable guy. Seriously, show some fucking respect.

Nate C site profile image

8/10/11 12:58 AM by Nate C

I'm not even being spiteful or sarcastic when I say this - See someone. You're angry. Talk about it, get it out of your system and you will feel better. Something needs healing.

hahol916 site profile image

8/9/11 10:01 PM by hahol916

It's unfortunate he had to retire. Good luck to him in his future endeavors

MMApostle site profile image

8/9/11 9:29 PM by MMApostle

lol what? What top 10 LHW and which MW's did he beat to prove this?

MMApostle site profile image

8/9/11 9:27 PM by MMApostle

Why show respect for a fighter who's attitude I don't like? He shouldn't get treated any different for being deaf(says so himself), it doesn't effect him throwing or blocking a punch and frankly I'm sick of being put down for not liking a deaf fighter. If he was missing an arm, a leg or even blind in one eye, it would mean something. He is not a good fighter and I hate his style of fighting, I hated his attitude on TUF and I hate how cocky he is for not being that good. The only thing I like about Hammil is that loss on Jones' record. If he did things in wrestling, good for him, I don't give a fuck about pure wrestling, I care about MMA.

Vincanni site profile image

8/9/11 9:15 PM by Vincanni

Almost feel bad now for rooting so heavily for Gustafsson, but I respect his decision. The guy is easily one of the UFC's best inspirational stories. While I know he was never going to be champion, he was still easily better than 95% of the professional LHWs out there and could have easily been a top ten MW.

MasterofMartialArts site profile image

8/9/11 9:02 PM by MasterofMartialArts

Idiot.  The guy is retiring from competition and instead of showing respect and honor, you show why nobody wants to post on the UG anymore. He is an accomplished wrestler with some impressive accomplishments in wrestling and MMA. Although his best wins were Ortiz, Munoz, Jardine and Petruzelli, he showed that although sometimes life deals us shitty cards, we can still go above and beyond. I, for one, am inspired by the type of courage and heart of one man to defy the odds and have as many accomplishments as he has. Hell, the man was 9-4 in UFC competition. There are fighters in the UFC NOW that have worse records. You probably couldn't even MAKE the UFC, much less have a decent record. You have exposed your true self in this post. Please leave now.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!