Pro Elite planning heavyweight grand prix

by Ariel Helwani | source: proelite.com

ProElite 2.0, as Vice President of Fight Operations T.Jay Thompson likes to call it, is set to get back on track on Aug. 27 in Hawaii. With its first show in almost three years less than three weeks away, here are some news and notes about MMA's newest -- or not so new depending on how you view them -- kid on the block.

The second show will be "early November" in Atlantic City, N.J. No specific date or location has been finalized yet.

One of the main attractions scheduled for the event will be the start of a heavyweight grand prix. This one will feature mostly "unknown" big men from around the world. Andrei Arlovski and Mark Ellis, who are scheduled to fight in different bouts in Hawaii, could be a part of it if they win their debut fights.

Thompson said he was "very interested" in having Marloes Coenen fight on the November show. And while he admitted that Alistair Overeem is probably out of his price range, he said Jon Olav Einemo could be the perfect fit for the aforementioned GP.

Don't expect any title fights in ProElite any time soon. "I hate when events do world championship fights with no world championship fighters," he said.

Read entire article...

Event: ProElite: "Arlovski vs. Lopez"
Sat,urday Aug. 27, 2011
Neal Blaisdell Center
Honolulu, Hawaii

Pro card:
Andrei Arlovski (15-9) vs. Ray Lopez (5-2)
Kendall Grove (12-9) vs. Joe "Diesel" Riggs (34-13)
Reagan Penn (0-0) vs. Paul Gardner (2-0)
Mark Ellis (Debut) vs. Jake Heun (1-0)
Sarah McMann (3-0) vs. Raquel Pa'aluhi (3-1)
Kala Hose (7-5) vs. Drew McFedries (9-6)
Sale Sproat (6-0) vs. Chris Cisneros (11-3)
Dustin Barca (1-0) vs. Reno Remigio (1-0)

Amateur card:
Ray Cooper Jr. (Debut) vs. Kyle Foyle (2-1)

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

McDavid Knee Sleeve w/ Elastic

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

Mmanizzle site profile image

8/9/11 4:06 PM by Mmanizzle

TTT

TOWE site profile image

8/9/11 3:23 PM by TOWE

ttt

notsobigmike site profile image

8/9/11 3:13 PM by notsobigmike

Who the fuck is Ray Lopez?I saw Arlovsky v Lopez and assumed it was that guy with the ponytail from KOTC. Tony Lopez?

X_Rated site profile image

8/9/11 2:52 PM by X_Rated

Wait.. REAGAN PENN is making his debut? woah..

46and2 site profile image

8/9/11 2:50 PM by 46and2

I wish the best for Arlovski. He's got so much damned talent and speed, I just hope he can put it all together and string another set of wins together. You can't fix a chin, so I don't really know what to say on that.... But, if he works on defense and keeping his hands up, he just might be good enough to win most of his fights before that KO shot.

Danawhiteshair site profile image

8/9/11 10:09 AM by Danawhiteshair

I actually didnt like the promo it was kinda Dorkish I mean fire on grooves hands really but can't wait to see AA he always looks so good before he gets kod

Flexo site profile image

8/9/11 9:57 AM by Flexo

Funny how they put penns name up everywhere. Kinda like kim couture

Humphrey site profile image

8/9/11 9:13 AM by Humphrey

wow fantastic promo. Sure as shit can tell reagan is BJ's brother lol. Not excited at all about kendall grove. think he's way overrated. but I'm excited to see Reagan, and especially Arlovsky. I hate that he's had such a bad few years. I've always really liked him. He's one of those fighters that when he loses, someone films him sitting there with his head hung low and it bums me out. Also looking forward to Drew. Anyway, great production value on the promo. I'm excited. but moreso than this event, I'm excited to see if ProElite can rise to occasion and fill the hole someday that Strikeforce is leaving behind since Zuffa bought them. We NEED another strong promotion. It will be infinitely more beneficial to the fighters so they have choices and don't have to take huge paycuts and go to places like MFC because they aren't with the UFC anymore. Don't get me wrong, I certainly think the MFC has it's place, but not as top tier promotion. I know the pavster wants to make it that, but if he'd focus on developing fighters and not trying to make superstars out of guys that lost out of other orgs, the MFC could be very big someday. Anyway, off on a rant. I'm very happy to see this!!!

NorthFromHere site profile image

8/9/11 9:05 AM by NorthFromHere

I hope they use Icon rules

TartanTerrorUK site profile image

8/9/11 8:59 AM by TartanTerrorUK

Actually a really good promo. Looking forward to this card.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!