Royler Gracie returning to MMA for one last bout

by Marcelo Alonso | source: sherdog.com

Gracie will face former Shooto titleholder Masakatsu Ueda under the Amazon Forest Combat banner on Sept. 14 in his native Brazil. The bout, according to Ueda’s blog, will be contested at 154 pounds, notable in that he was Shooto champion at 132 pounds. A three-time Abu Dhabi Combat Club Submission Wrestling World Championships gold medalist, Gracie confirmed to Sherdog.com that it would be his last fight, though it would not come against an opponent he desired most.

“Promoters from Amazon Forest told me they called Eddie Bravo,” said Gracie, who lost to Bravo at the 2003 ADCC world championships. “As far as I know, he didn’t even want to know how much the purse was; he said he doesn’t fight MMA, only ADCC. He was the second option. The first name was Tokoro, who I accepted immediately because he was my last opponent and beat me.”

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

Super Body Care Body Spray 2oz

Super Body Care Body Spray 2oz

tags: Royler Gracie

Mit site profile image

8/18/11 1:07 AM by Mit

This koolaid is delicious.

BAMFPANCAKES site profile image

8/17/11 11:10 PM by BAMFPANCAKES

(biased because I train at a Royler School) but didn't Eddie Bravo accuse him of ducking him first? yes, yes he did.

smth416 site profile image

8/17/11 7:39 PM by smth416

ttt

Roidie McDouchebag site profile image

8/17/11 7:01 PM by Roidie McDouchebag

...because any martial artist who talks about how good their techniques are for MMA but won't fight in MMA is kind of a coward?

Jason Chambers site profile image

8/17/11 4:55 PM by Jason Chambers

All of it.

NarlyPersianDude site profile image

8/17/11 1:57 AM by NarlyPersianDude

Listen Chris, I hear you train. And Joe Lauzon has called out some of your ability, so you can probably can kick some ass. But Dustin Pedrioa I bet is a tough guy. If he fights anything like he plays baseball, he will not be an easy win. You would probably get the win, but Dustin would probably get his in.I mean he is hitting for power now, dude is crazy cool. FoSho

ultimatestreetfighter site profile image

8/17/11 1:54 AM by ultimatestreetfighter

i think he keeps digging on eddie because eddie and his fan boys try to make it seem like he is scared to "fight" eddie.royler fights MMA. against tough guys like saku, genki, and kid yamamoto. he's willing to fight these guys knowing that he could easily get his ass kicked. in fact, he's gotten KO'd plenty of times. so i think it's silly that eddie and his goons try to imply that royler is "scared" of wrasslin him.what happened with ADCC sounds like BUSINESS to me. royler felt he should get paid more for the fight. the promoters didn't agree. so no fight. happens all of the time. for eddie and his followers to imply that royler was "dicktucking" or scared is retarded. royler has always been willing to compete and fight. that is a lot more than can be said about eddie. i mean, what exactly has he done in competition since his run at ADCC almost a decade ago?

RocknRolla site profile image

8/17/11 1:51 AM by RocknRolla

me too, dont think royler has a chance

rockwell site profile image

8/17/11 1:48 AM by rockwell

Not sure I like this matchup for him.

ICEE site profile image

8/17/11 1:10 AM by ICEE

When I was active I always wanted to fight him. I met him in the semis of Abu Dhabi and again in pro am but always wanted a MMA match. He is a beast and still able to compete

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!