Stout: I need to wait for the dust to settle

source: cagepotato.com

UFC lightweight Sam Stout appeared on Mauro Ranallo’s The MMA Show podcast yesterday and the longtime Team Tompkins fighter, and brother in law to the recently deceased Shawm Tompkins, revealed his reason for bowing out of his upcoming UFC 137 bout with Dennis Siver in October.

“Shawn has been my coach since I got into the sport. I’ve never had a fight, dating back to my kickboxing career…I’ve never had a fight, without him training me for it and without him being in my corner…I’m not one of these guys who’s jumped around from coach to coach over the years and trained with lots of people. He’s taught me really everything I know about mixed martial arts. And not only that, he was a lot more than that to me. He was a brother and a trusted friend and confidant and really, my mentor. Definitely the most influential person in my life.

"I’m going to have to wait for the dust to settle a little bit before I’m ready to get back in there and figure out what I’m going to do in terms of coaching. I’m really just unsure of what I’m going to do right now.We’ve discussed it and you’re going to see some changes being made to the team, but we don’t think Shawn would have wanted us to all go join other teams. He would have wanted us to stick together.”

“I don’t want to speak for the other guys, but I’m fairly sure Horodecki pulled out of his fight in September. I think Mark’s still trying to decide what he’s going to do, but he’s leaning towards sticking with the [UFC 140] fight in Toronto,” he says. “If Mark goes out and chooses to stick with this fight in December, and I think he’s going to, he’s going to have me and Chris walking out right behind him and we’re going to show a strong front because we’re family and that’s what Shawn would have wanted.”

“It’s just one of those things. You think you’re somebody who works out every day and you think you’re invincible. He wasn’t the type of guy to go see doctors. He was kind of an old school type of person. It was just one of these fluke things. A 37-year-old guy who devoted his life to fitness and exercise, it just blindsided everybody.”

Read entire article...

Fight Dentist Canada Mouthguard

Fight Dentist Canada Mouthguard

Affliction Tristar MMA Shirt

Affliction Tristar MMA Shirt

tags: UFC< Sam Stout   Shawn Tompkins

Jetster site profile image

9/1/11 3:12 PM by Jetster

ttt

Hong Kong Phooey site profile image

9/1/11 12:12 PM by Hong Kong Phooey

VTFU

Chuckles site profile image

9/1/11 10:52 AM by Chuckles

That's awesome! I feel for their team. A good coach can become so much more to a person because you learn to trust them even when facing immediate danger. It is a unique bond.

JHR site profile image

9/1/11 10:46 AM by JHR

PJ Benn Fan site profile image

9/1/11 9:04 AM by PJ Benn Fan

Wish the best for Sam no matter what. Shitty situation for his family especially his sister. 29 y/o widow? Fuck!

Dougie site profile image

9/1/11 8:42 AM by Dougie

I'm not even a pro fighter. I'm just one of the guys at the gym but he treated us all like we were part of the family. No matter what part you played, he welcomed you and did what he could.

LiftStrong site profile image

9/1/11 8:35 AM by LiftStrong

The fighters that have come out of that camp are as good of a tribute as Shawn could ask for.  So much class and care for eachother.  Every time one of his fighters speaks, it makes you realize how much he will be missed.  Dougie and crew, I appreciate the stories and experiences you have shared here.  No doubt they would make him smile.

Dougie site profile image

9/1/11 8:02 AM by Dougie

One time at the gym Sam was doing work in the ring and Shawn was calling off combinations along with ring work. You had music playing, people watching and talking, and traffic outside the gym. A lot of ambient noise. Shawn had a voice that you could hear above all else and it was pretty comforting because it told you what to do from a view that Shawn had. Everyone else in the gym was doing shadow boxing doing gnp work etc and when I looked around it wasn't just me who had fallen into the pattern of just throwing what Shawn said. The whole gym had. What started out as everyone doing their own thing shadowboxing turned into about 20 of us listening to what Shawn was calling for Sam and following suit.

MMA apparel and training equipment
Holiday blowout sale!