A Fighting Spirit: New York MMA fighters remember 9/11

source: thefightnerd.com

This Sunday marks the ten-year anniversary of the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. The way America looked at itself was altered immensely on that date, and a decade later the world is a very different place. Memories of panic and uncertainty are still present, but the urge to keep moving forward is even stronger.

In remembrance of this anniversary, TheFightNerd.com, has released an exclusive short-film that commemorates this event alongside the New York MMA community. “A Fighting Spirit” is a video memoir that interviews members of the NY martial arts community and discusses where they were when the Towers collapsed, how they have coped, and how New York and America have grown stronger.

Directed by Kahleem Poole-Tejada (director of the full-length documentary “New York MMA”) and produced by Matthew Kaplowitz (Editor-in-Chief of TheFightNerd.com) in association with Ranger Up, the film takes viewers around a tour of downtown Manhattan and provides a glimpse inside several of New York City’s top MMA gyms. It features many NY-based fighters, such as Renzo Gracie, Chris Weidman, Pete “Drago” Sell, and Vitor “Shaolin” Ribeiro, as well as Stephen Koepfer of NY Combat Sambo, Mark Yehia of “Elite Plus MMA,” Rob Constance of “The Renzo Gracie Academy,” and Emilio Novoa, President of ADCC North America. Also appearing is UFC middleweight fighter Jorge Rivera, as well as Strikeforce middleweight Tim Kennedy, who adds the voices of members of the U.S. Armed Forces to this emotional piece.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

Submission BJJ Belt

Submission BJJ Belt

tags: video

KahL site profile image

9/19/11 11:18 PM by KahL

Your family left a strong footprint in the City's and American history, man. You should be proud. Give them all my thanks. From myself and the entire crew.

KahL site profile image

9/19/11 11:18 PM by KahL

Rear Naked Kevin site profile image

9/19/11 10:20 AM by Rear Naked Kevin

Good post ^ I worked in the Towers for 12 years.  Top floor and was there for the 1993 bombing.  Knew so many people in those buildings.  TTT for this great film.

Rear Naked Kevin site profile image

9/19/11 10:20 AM by Rear Naked Kevin

Armbar-B-Cutie site profile image

9/17/11 1:56 PM by Armbar-B-Cutie

I know. My dad was iron worker he helped build towers, his initials were on top. We used to go and try to find daddy's initials. He would always tell us stories- While it was being built the construction workers would all play ball on the top floors. A few times they would lose a ball. Imagine seeing a basketball dropping from sky!! Alot of my cousins were on the job on 9-11. During those next few weeks they were like zombies. Going to 20 funerals in like 2 days. Great work and it really u makes think. Life is so short.

Armbar-B-Cutie site profile image

9/17/11 1:56 PM by Armbar-B-Cutie

knuckleballs site profile image

9/17/11 9:32 AM by knuckleballs

As an NY MMA figher who trains at Renzo's, I enjoyed that. I also hope that you do one for the hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians that the U.S. military has killed overseas. Those people deserve to be recognized.

knuckleballs site profile image

9/17/11 9:32 AM by knuckleballs

KahL site profile image

9/16/11 6:14 PM by KahL

Thanks bro :)

KahL site profile image

9/16/11 6:14 PM by KahL

Thanks bro :)

MMA apparel and training equipment
BLACK FRIDAY