Gerald Harris: Net anonymity breeds MMA haters

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie.com

If you trane UFC rather than MMA, perhaps you  were unaware that Gerald Harris notched a significant victory a couple of weekends ago. In a closely contested fight, he bested PRIDE and UFC vet Kazuhiro Nakamura by split decision at DREAM.17, broadcast  on HDNet..

You'd think Harris would get a few characters of encouragement on Twitter or on the message boards. He did, but he also got more than a few folks who were less than impressed by his win.

"As for our sport, there's nothing I can say to change anybody's mind, and I'm not trying to change anybody's mind," Harris told MMAjunkie.com Radio. "They whine a lot. It's like they want Bonnar Griffin every fight, and I think a lot of them are losing the educational sport part of it. It's like, if it's not a slugfest, it's not a fight. And that's not always true in MMA."

"They tell you you suck and they hate watching your fights, but they know your whole life."

"The funny thing about the haters is, it's easy to hate on Twitter,. It's easy to hate on [The Underground] because you're hiding behind a screen name. Nobody hates on Facebook."

"I almost turned my Twitter off at one point. (Muhammed) 'King Mo' Lawal turned his off and then turned it on again."

"There's some people where no matter what you do, you can't please some people. I don't aim to please anybody or entertain. I go out there to do my thing, and if entertaining thing happen, then so be it."

"Think about the UFC fights. People know where the hotel is. They're waiting in the lobby taking pictures. They're going to lose that if they keep being so threatening. There are people out there saying, 'When I see you, I'm going to fight you.' That's not legal. Don't do that."

"This is the thing that I'm going to warn them about. If you are actually a fan of somebody, (and) if you want to keep this relationship with MMA to where you can actually walk up to a guy and speak to him or talk to him on Twitter – I answer Facebook notes, (and) I talk to the fans, guys that are [fighting] – they're going to lose that if they keep hating so hard."

Read  entire article...
Listen to entire intereview...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Keith Jardine Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

JAKKS Pacific Exclusive Series 0 (Zero) Frank Mir Action Figure

tags: Gerald Harris (detail)

TeamRenzo site profile image

10/4/11 7:58 PM by TeamRenzo

Wow, he doesn't go out to entertain or please anyone? Does he not realize he is in the entertainment business?

Authority Figure site profile image

10/4/11 7:45 PM by Authority Figure

Its not the new fans that hate, its the old ones. The guys who have VHS copies of UFC1 and like to see around and yap about soccer kicks to the face in the old days. They have major chips on their shoulders. You tell a guy you been watching 10 years and he acts like you just admitted to voting in your first presidential election. This shit aint serious. Its a sport or as we used to call them when we were kids - a game. Most of the new fans get that. They want to see blood, knockouts etc, but they really don't give a fuck about the rest of it. They're not trying to get at you on twitter or anywhere else. But the old heads ever chance they get to critique or whine or accuse - they jump headfirst into that shit.As a sidebar, any fighter that thinks the entertainment aspect is optional is out of his mind - or in this case, out of the UFC.

DoomFarmer site profile image

10/4/11 2:43 AM by DoomFarmer

Kano, I hate black people

kanodogg2 site profile image

10/4/11 2:40 AM by kanodogg2

Yeah but I can't respect Harris, king mo told me he was on dat der EBT

chaplinshouse site profile image

10/4/11 2:09 AM by chaplinshouse

is he speaking for himself when he threatens limited accessibility? if so, I wouldn't have tried to talk to him in person anyway, who cares. But thanks for the "warning" lol"If EVERYone's not nice to me I won't talk to ANYone! WAAAAAH! WAAAAAH! I'm hurted! Me can has hug?"jeezuth cryssss

Stone Free site profile image

10/3/11 10:55 PM by Stone Free

He's right but he's also letting the losers get to him too much.

FieryErmine site profile image

10/3/11 10:49 PM by FieryErmine

He's absolutely right, but it's not exclusive to MMA, you'll find the same sort of thing on any forum whether it's The Adam Carolla Show or Formula 1 forums. A lot of guys get very brave behind their keyboards. Check out the dudes saying "...and I would say it to their face."

jimbobyeaboy site profile image

10/3/11 10:38 PM by jimbobyeaboy

If you want to be a celebrity you have to grow a thicker skin. Get over it.

WillD site profile image

10/3/11 9:56 PM by WillD

I'm probably just gonna kick his ass if I see him.

fightharder site profile image

10/3/11 9:42 PM by fightharder

People can bitch and moan about Harris lack of skin but the fact of the matter is that he actually make a very valid point. I understand some people perceive MMA and fighting in general as entertainment. I also understand you need to let of steam and sports is a nice medium for this. But the fact of the matter is that a lot of people think the can act like complete brainless idiots when in contact with MMA (either being at the liveshows,commenting on the fights on twitter/facebook forums or generally looking at the fights). Some say that these people are really that stupid or ignorant but i personally think this is not true and a weak excuse. The just think it is allowed to lose there manners and show a lack of respect because it comes with the territory. Listen the UFC is not WWF (even though you still need to respect the work those people put in i can understand a certain type of reaction with these ''spectacles''). If you want to bitch an moan about a certain style of fighting,that fine. But people should not forget the sacrifices these fighters need to make and should try to phantom how they themselves would handle the situations fighters tend to get in. Sure,the do it for a living and get paid accordingly so there are allowed to be judged for there perfomance as a fighter. But judgement should be on the qualities as a fighter and within a modum of respect and decency. And to those people who think they can fight Harris,please he will fuck you up. Some people are so delusional it really  suprises me that society has a place for them.