Roy Nelson: I can make 205, if I lose a leg

source: bloodyelbow.com

Luke Thomas: So let's say it came along, and I'm just throwing this out there, I'm not in any way suggesting that it could, I'm just offering it to you. Joe Silva calls you tomorrow and says, "Alright, I've got something completely out of the box for you Nelson. I want you to fight either Shogun or Jon Jones and if you beat Shogun then you get a shot at Jon Jones." I know you're tired of the 205 pound questions but is that so intriguing that it makes smart business and fighting sense for you?

Roy Nelson: I would ask you, "How much?" and then I'd need to figure out how much I could lose off of liposuction or getting amputated from cutting my leg off.

LT: You sort of make the point in the same way Daniel Cormier does, there's just no realistic way of making that weight at least not in your own enthusiastic efforts but is it, I mean short of surgery, short of drastic means like gastric bypass, is it biologically for you to make it? Forget the will, forget all that other stuff. Is it biologically impossible short of surgery?

RN: Biologically? I'd have to lose muscle. That's one thing people don't pay attention to is like I wouldn't do a gastric bypass but I'd have to literally cut off my leg and I'd be a one-legged 205-er but I'd still do pretty good.

UFC-137-roy-nelson-id-have-to-cut-off-a-leg-to-make-205">Read entire article...

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Century Official UFC Fight Gloves

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

Fear the Fighter Boxing Club 2013 Shirt

tags: UFC   Roy Nelson (detail)

DanTheWolfman site profile image

10/28/11 4:42 PM by DanTheWolfman

I wonder if Big Country has a slow/high thyroid number like myself and low Testosterone to go with it??? Perhaps he just needs HRT like everyone else is on one way or another.....or perhaps he doesn't want to do that....But it would bet his Test is low like 400 or lower, and I bet his TSH/Thyroid is high like 3.5 or higher

Stan Dan Wang site profile image

10/28/11 4:13 PM by Stan Dan Wang

he is in complete denial. he could make MW if he could shave off his massive gut.

FixedPartialArts site profile image

10/28/11 4:05 PM by FixedPartialArts

There are 6' guys in the 145-lb division, but he'd have to get shorter in order to make 205? That belly is full of jelly and crap. The reality is he's addicted to delicious food and deluding himself so he doesn't have to give it up. I bet he would rather lose his leg than fried chicken legs.

Carrtrouble site profile image

10/28/11 3:43 PM by Carrtrouble

It's obvious that he just doesn't want to give up the food. He could easily make 205 if he refocused its just that not cutting was appealing to him, he could eat whatever he wanted and before the UFC it worked for him

Maldini2706 site profile image

10/28/11 3:15 PM by Maldini2706

You think carrying around 80lbs of fat is an advantage for him? This has to be a troll

EasyTapper site profile image

10/28/11 2:17 PM by EasyTapper

Subbbed

ophusker site profile image

10/28/11 10:13 AM by ophusker

He would likely lose some muscle if he lost that much weight. He could gain it back though once he got down to a stable weight. Roy could make 205 but I don't think he'd be any better off career as a LHW then he is at HW. There is a more talented and deeper pool of LHW's then there is HW's. Roy in his current state is plenty big enough to compete at HW. He doesn't look good but he can obviously carry the weight and still be in good cardio shape and move well. So I see no issue at all with him staying at HW. Some guys like Forest may have larger frames then then Roy and fight at LHW but they couldn't carry 260 and move like Roy and have cardio like Roy does at that weight. I think Roy would beat Forest at HW but would get beat by him at LHW. Let him stay at HW he's a rare guy that can have a gut like that and still be in shape and move well. People don't respect it but that is a talent unto itself.

KILLALL site profile image

10/28/11 10:03 AM by KILLALL

The loosing muscle part in order to make 205 Seriously made me Lol, im for sure no expert on the matter, but doesn't he have at least 50lbs of fat he could loose before sacrificing muscle.Anyway, Fat or not he is a great fighter and has a great career that many "fit" fighters can only dream of having, but it would still be awesome to see him chiseled down at 205.

jkkazmier site profile image

10/28/11 9:55 AM by jkkazmier

for reals? LOL if true, totally thought it was Nelson.

Large Fun Bags site profile image

10/28/11 9:50 AM by Large Fun Bags

Roy Nelson is crazy... If he actually lost the weight he could easily make 205. Probably 185