Semerzier camp appeals loss to CSAC

source: bloodyelbow.com

On the UFC on FOX 1 prelim card, Robert Peralta landed a combination on Mackens Semerzier, sending him to the canvas, and into his fifth loss in eleven fights. The only problem was instant replay revealed that the combination included a head butt, one referee John McCarthy did not see.

"I did not see their heads clash, causing the knockout," McCarthy explained. "Because if you look where I was at, Robbie's head was toward me, so Semerzier's head was on the other side, and they both threw a left hand and then a right hand that came across, and I thought those punches were what caused Mack to be hurt. (I) didn't even know that it was a headbutt."

"Once you look at it on the replay, absolutely it was the headbutt that caused it."

"If he appeals it, and I would too if I was him because if you go back and look at the replay, his going down was caused by an accidental collision of their heads. It wasn't intentional on either guy. So he should go to the commission. The commission will look at it, they'll ask me what I saw, and I'm going to tell them what I saw and what I saw on the replay."

Had McCarthy seen the accidental headbutt, sufficient time had passed in the fight so that he could have ordered the fight stopped, and a judges decision made based on the action up to the stoppage.

Even if McCarthy did not see, but suspected a headbutt, California State Athletic Commission (CSAC) rules contain a process for the referee to confer with judges, or instant replay, which was available. However, McCarthy neither saw nor suspected a headbutt, and so these steps were not initiated.

"I don't blame it on the referee," Semerzier today told MMAjunkie.com. "That stuff happens so fast. You have to see it on video to know what really happened. Once the video's played, everyone could see."

In addition to being understanding, Semerzier rightly wants a rematch.

"I think, as a fighter, that would only be right," Semerzier said. "Unless he wants to tuck it in his back pocket and tell people he knocked me out. Because he knows, I know, and everybody knows that's not the case.

"I was a man after the fight, and I hope he's a man in giving me a rematch, or asking for it at least."

In the mean time, Brian Butler-Au of SuckerPunch Entertainment today informed MMAjunkie.com that he has filed an appeal with the CSAC. CSAC Executive Director George Dodd said he would review the appeal when he received it. "If it warranted that it would need to go in front of the commission, I would have the commission review it."

The bout's result could be changed to a no-decision if a formal appeal is successful.

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

Tatami Multi Flex NO GI Fight Shorts

Santino DeFranco site profile image

11/14/11 11:15 PM by Santino DeFranco

I still find it funny that people are defending the ruling with "it was clearly unintentional" type of arguments. The intention of the fighter doesn't make it a legal technique. The difference is the course of action that would apply. If it is unintentional it will either be a NC or go to score cards (depending on the commissions rules within that state.) If it is intentional the fighter delivering the illegal blow could be deducted a point or DQ'd. Of course it was an unintentional head butt, but that doesn't make it okay to win a fight that way.

wasssp site profile image

11/14/11 10:33 PM by wasssp

Hell yeah, Brian Butler. Good shi$ Way to handle your biz.

DWray site profile image

11/14/11 10:25 PM by DWray

I thought that when an accidental foul ends the fight, the judges score cards are tallied up until that point.Which will make this fight a very clear draw.

MPA site profile image

11/14/11 9:03 PM by MPA

Read the rules. Accidental or intentional butts are still fouls and can be ruled a no-contest or even a disqualification.

fight4real site profile image

11/14/11 8:04 PM by fight4real

I was 100% sure they would appeal and they are well within their rights. I can't imagine a better example of a fight that should be ruled a NC. Unintentional illegal blow ends bout. Easy NC.

Steven McTowelie site profile image

11/14/11 7:55 PM by Steven McTowelie

I say cuts are different...sucks it happened and changed the fight, but when the fight goes on for a while after it's a little harder to change the outcome.When the unintentional foul directly ends the fight i.e. ko's the guy or leads to a tko it should be a no contest.Also, Gonzaga grabbed the fence to avoid the takedown which is what lead to the heads clashing. There is no way an unintentional foul caused by an intentional rule-break is going to lead to a no contest in the rule-breaker's favour.Bad example to compare to for precedence.

BrunoMcGyver site profile image

11/14/11 7:42 PM by BrunoMcGyver

Also Bonnar/Polish Experiment 1, but at least the UFC gave them a rematch asap.

ko 86 site profile image

11/14/11 7:23 PM by ko 86

Somebody mentioned the difference between a headbutt, and collision of heads.  I think this should probably be ruled a NC, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets denied.

Steven McTowelie site profile image

11/14/11 7:17 PM by Steven McTowelie

@Figaro"Just wanted to add because it was unintentional the ruling of the contest should stand, the fighter saw an opportunity and pounced on it. It would be like punishing someone because he pounced on someone for slipping on the sticking logos in the ring/cage."Ummm...that is not correct. Unless in your example fighter A slipped, hit his head, got half-ko'd, then fighter B followed up, otherwise they aren't alike at all.

formulate site profile image

11/14/11 7:02 PM by formulate

there have been a ton of fights that have been won as a result of a headbutt and never overturned. Couture/Ganzaga comes to mind as well as Tito Ortiz/Evan Tanner.