Peralta camp unenthusiastic about rematch

by Steven Marrocco | source: mmajunkie.com

On the UFC on FOX 1 prelim card, Robert Peralta landed a combination on Mackens Semerzier, sending him to the canvas, and into his fifth loss in eleven fights. However, instant replay revealed that the combination included a head butt, one referee John McCarthy did not see.

Brian Butler-Au of SuckerPunch Entertainment has filed an appeal with the California State Athletic Commission.

Semerzier took the high road saying "I don't blame it on the referee. That stuff happens so fast. You have to see it on video to know what really happened. Once the video's played, everyone could see."

In addition to being understanding, Semerzier rightly wants a rematch.

"I think, as a fighter, that would only be right," Semerzier said. "Unless he wants to tuck it in his back pocket and tell people he knocked me out. Because he knows, I know, and everybody knows that's not the case.

"I was a man after the fight, and I hope he's a man in giving me a rematch, or asking for it at least."

Peralta is not asking for it.

"If that's what the UFC is giving me, then that's what I'll do," Peralta today told MMAjunkie.com. "I'm completely fine."

"It's not like when we clashed heads it put him out," he continued. "He was still aware. It knocked him down. I took a big lump, too. But I was able to finish the fight."

"It's up to Joe Silva and Sean Shelby, It's unfortunate it had to end like that. I didn't even know that it was caused by a headbutt when he fell to the ground. I thought I caught him with a punch, and then I just finished it off."

Had the accidental head butt been seen at the time, the bout would have likely gone to decision. At this point, the CSAC could declare the bout a No Contest, a step Peralta's manager Jeff Clark firmly advocated againsst.

"To me, it looked like an incidental headbutt, and Robbie continued off of it and was able to stop the fight," Clark said. "At that point, it was up to the discretion of 'Big' John to decide what to do, and he let it go. Because of that, the judgement should stand."

Read entire article...

MMA gear now available at the UG Store

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

MMAWarehouse Logo Hat

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

TapouT Ankle Bar Athletic Socks (3 Pack)

King Koopa site profile image

11/16/11 7:21 AM by King Koopa

I wouldn't want to fight a guy that was beating me the whole fight. Definately should be turned into a no contest, but I personally don't think a rematch is needed, I saw who the better fighter was.Cheers

Thacommish site profile image

11/16/11 6:33 AM by Thacommish

wasnt a problem with nik lentz overturning his decision against charles O. its pretty much the same exact scenario

Musashi site profile image

11/16/11 2:40 AM by Musashi

It sucks for Peralta though.. because that headbutt obviously lead to the follow up punches that ended the fight. It changed everything. I'm just not sure the rules and appeal process are going to support him. Tough break.. and if I was Semerzier, I wouldn't want to get in the cage with Peralta again either.. lol

Dmoney35 site profile image

11/16/11 2:35 AM by Dmoney35

Some good points didn't think about it like that.

Musashi site profile image

11/16/11 12:16 AM by Musashi

I agree there is grounds for protest but it isn't so cut and dry because of the follow up shots. The fight was stopped because of action that happened after the headbutt, not directly because of it. For that reason, I won't be shocked if the CSAC denies the appeal. If there were no follow up shots and the ref stopped it.. then it would be a definite no contest - and no problem with the appeal. But the extra shots can be argued as being the direct cause of the stoppage.

NarlyPersianDude site profile image

11/15/11 11:46 PM by NarlyPersianDude

I met Mackens some months ago, very cool guy. Very elite fighter, rematch is probably the right thing to do. He will do great for himself in the ufc. YaKnow

un3rgr0und site profile image

11/15/11 11:46 PM by un3rgr0und

It should be a no contest or whatever, even the ref said he messed up and would have stopped the fight to see if the fighters could continue

Dmoney35 site profile image

11/15/11 11:37 PM by Dmoney35

Def no contest and both fighters know it. The fact he thinks it didn't affe t the outcome is ludicrous.

Sephiroth site profile image

11/15/11 11:06 PM by Sephiroth

no way the result should stand. The headbutt clearly led to the finish. If Peralta doesn't want to fight Mackens that's fine but no way it should remain a victory. what sucks is that was shaping up to be a great fight.

The newest MMA equipment and apparel!